BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Potential system issue...
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 1-21-2021 at 03:30 PM
Potential system issue...

Still evaluating, but believe the primary hard drive of the server may be going bad.

If so, at best I'll need to temporarily turn the site off and then turn the system down to replace the drive. With this, I'd be able to retain all the posts.

If the drive goes bad before that, I'd lose posts from the day it happens. There are nightly backups, and I'd have to restore from one of those backups. Just want to provide a heads-up that posts from a particular day could be at risk of being lost.

That's all the info I have for the moment. I'll update the thread as I gain more info - or the site will go down if there's a more immediate issue. The site will be back up at the earliest opportunity though.

Just fyi...

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-21-2021 at 05:28 PM

During any offline time, I can be reached through email, or through messaging at the BajaNomad facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/bajanomad

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 1-21-2021 at 05:33 PM

Fairly certain the site will need to be unavailable to make some hardware/server fixes.

Entirely uncertain right now if that will be a few hours, or a few days. Hopefully will have a solution that will minimize downtime (and data loss).

[Edited on 1-22-2021 by BajaNomad]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-21-2021 at 05:52 PM

Thanks Doug... I appreciate all your hard work here.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-21-2021 at 06:19 PM

If we promise to be a little nicer to each other, do you think it would help that poor server hang in a little longer? :?:

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JohnMcfrog
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2021 at 07:18 PM

Thanks so much for being the administrator on a well used site. Whatever you need to do, take your time and do know that we appreciate your work!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2021 at 10:14 PM

Thanks so much for everything! I hope the issue is easily solved.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 1-22-2021 at 02:06 PM

I see you are still with us, or should I say we are still with you??

Anyway, appreciate your patience with all this chaff and "stuff"
In the midst of every manure pile there is always something of value
and having a Baja resource is terrific

Thanks Doug!!
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 1-22-2021 at 02:09 PM

Baja Nomad is an invaluable resource for all of us, Doug. Thank you so very much for your time and energy all these years.

Saludos! Diane

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-22-2021 at 06:02 PM

Still head and shoulders above any of the Facebook-based sites I go to. Just so easy to find information, indexed by subject, instead of scrolling.............and scrolling............and scrolling.............

Thanks for keeping this valuable site going, Doug.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2021 at 08:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Still head and shoulders above any of the Facebook-based sites I go to. Just so easy to find information, indexed by subject, instead of scrolling.............and scrolling............and scrolling.............

Thanks for keeping this valuable site going, Doug.

I so agree... This was my concern when Ron took Talk Baja to Facebook. I was searching and asking for possible solutions to find trip reports, photos, etc. I asked too much, it irritated a moderator, and I was banned! LOL

Now, the positive about Facebook and why I have a Baja group page there; it is very popular and especially so in Mexico. Seems everyone is on it or has their business page on it instead of a unique webpage.

I solve(?) the problem of finding photos or other special posts by using the Albums feature as well as reposting interesting subjects so they are closer to the top.

To find Albums, click onto Media. I have an album for each mission in Baja plus one for my maps, and can make more. The Albums are titled so you can find what you want to see more of in the Albums page and click onto that album.

My Facebook group has over 2,000 members now and a large % are from Mexico. They are really interested in learning more of the history in Baja. While the missions are the main focus, other historic sites are featured as well as travel to those sites.

Check it out, and see the Albums too (under Media): https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2021 at 09:45 PM

I remenber JRBaja! He couldn`t live w/o Nomad. The short time I lived w/ him on his `Bamboo-Ranch` we drove every morning with the Coffee mug in one hand only using one for steering from San Bartolo to Los Barriles to the internet cafe only to read BajaNomad. And JR making his comments.
(Mostly but not limited towards David K --- his best friend :lol::lol::lol:)

[Edited on 1-24-2021 by JC43]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2021 at 08:33 AM

jrbaja was a hoot!

He loved to battle on the Internet, but in person, he loved to talk and share.
I went to his (and Carol's) La Barca home several times. Often bringing DEET or kids clothes for him to take to Baja Sur.

These photos from 2004 were at our get-together to meet Antonio, Baja Cactus. Here is jrbaja (in blue Hawaiian shirt) chatting with me, and I am next to Bernie (black hat), with Antonio Sr. and Antonio Jr. ('BajaCactus'). Photo taken by Doug 'BajaNomad':

P1010021.JPG - 62kB

P1010007.JPG - 60kB

P1010017.JPG - 92kB

[Edited on 1-24-2021 by David K]

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-24-2021 at 12:26 PM

There is a Facebook message board in San Carlos, Sonora.

There are two things that really bug me about the whole Facebook version of a message board.

One is that it continually does double posts of posts that people initiate. Often within two or three posts of the original. And the duplicate is complete with all the same replies. Just more to scroll through.

But the most aggravating is that if I access it via the Facebook app, not on a laptop, it lets me look at about five posts and then tells me I cant view any more posts until I add FIFTEEN friends!!!! Just locks me out.

I created a Facebook page about 12 years ago and never posted another thing to it. And I have never added a single "friend" to my Facebook presence. I am just very wary of all the potential outcomes of having Facebook "friends".

But it doesn't affect my using my laptop to access the site.

I already mentioned the third thing I really dont like. Just no real organization to the posts. Everything is thrown into this big "pile" that keeps being sorted by "Top Posts" every time I return from being away for a while. I cant seem to make the default sort "Recent Posts". Is it possible that my bookmark of the site indicates that I want "Top Posts"?
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2021 at 01:23 PM

Finding an alternative to f' face Zuckerberg would be ideal.

His responsibility for so much degradation of our society rests solely on him.

There you go. Have at it.

Peace, love, and fish tacos, is, and should remain, a priority for all of our love for Baja and its down to earth people.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 1-24-2021 at 01:38 PM

well they're different animals, I enjoy chatting in a number of fb groups and really appreciate hearing local perspectives...and the ability to hide or block pendejos, priceless!:coolup:

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2021 at 11:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
jrbaja was a hoot!

He loved to battle on the Internet, but in person, he loved to talk and share.
I went to his (and Carol's) La Barca home several times. Often bringing DEET or kids clothes for him to take to Baja Sur.

These photos from 2004 were at our get-together to meet Antonio, Baja Cactus. Here is jrbaja (in blue Hawaiian shirt) chatting with me, and I am next to Bernie (black hat), with Antonio Sr. and Antonio Jr. ('BajaCactus'). Photo taken by Doug 'BajaNomad':

Yep, and at far right his dark brown van he used to travel long distances. Not using his little "Bamboo-Rack-Truck" which remained on the "Bamboo-Ranch". BTW Bamboo Ranch: For American understanding the "ranch" was smaller than a front yard in downtown SF. But the cows on the adjacent property always liked the nice looking green bamboo sprouts and broke into the "Bamboo-Ranch" any time we went away. (smart animals) :lol: Fence repair was the most common job for JR.

[Edited on 1-25-2021 by JC43]

[Edited on 1-25-2021 by BajaNomad]
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 1-26-2021 at 05:42 PM

Mil gracias for the notice Doug!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-17-2021 at 08:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  
Fairly certain the site will need to be unavailable to make some hardware/server fixes.

Entirely uncertain right now if that will be a few hours, or a few days. Hopefully will have a solution that will minimize downtime (and data loss).

I greatly appreciate all the very kind and supportive comments. Thank you! :yes:

Just thought I'd point out this is still an ongoing issue, and I still expect to have downtime at some point. Might move the site to another one of my servers. Well, almost certainly will. fyi

Thank you all again for your kind understanding and support.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.