Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: LOST WALLET and temporary return
Allwaters
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2021 at 02:57 PM
LOST WALLET and temporary return

Hi all, trip report. Went thru Algodones w no hitch other than my FMM was dated for the day previous and border man said it needed to be on the exact day of xing, he was able to fix it at the border. Not much of a search but headed down. Hwy 5 mostly awesome clear to hwy 1... well we all know that one. Lost my wallet at Ley market in Viscaino and did everything I could to get it back... yea right. Struggled for two days on phone to replace lost cards and shut down all credit cards. Pretty tough to do even stateside and finally had to drive clear back to USA to fix as much as possible. Suggestion- photo copy everything in your wallet including INTERNATIONAL NUMBERS on the back of your bank cards. Or at least write down those INTERNATIONAL NUMBERS!!!!! You cannot call 800 numbers from down there. Luckily I still had my phone and my passport and all my cash was NOT in it. Only lost around 1200 to 1500 pesos and had a reserve stashed in my truck. DO THIS SO YOU WON'T BE STUCK DOWN THRE WITHOUT MONEY TO RETURN. Had to break into that reserve as I had no way to get ATM moneys out. Heading back down Monday...

[Edited on 1-23-2021 by Allwaters]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-23-2021 at 03:06 PM

BUMMER!!!

The FMM exact crossing (date and location) thing is why we recommend to NOT get it online, but in person.

Smart to stash cash...
What were the dates of your trip?
The heavy rain in San Felipe a few days ago may have done a number on the bridges south of Puertecitos???

Thanks!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 1-23-2021 at 03:10 PM

and jot down bank account and card numbers somewhere other than phone and wallet!
Allwaters
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2021 at 03:16 PM

I came back after that big rain and roads seemed fine, camped between Puertecitos and Gonzaga and blue skies the next day which was yesterday 22nd. Two hour wait at San Luis to get back to USA. ATM card waiting at my friends in Parker Az, reunited with my bank accounts and apparently also have a CC waiting for me down there, but no USA drivers lic other than a photocopy and an electronic temporary one. There were so many screwups by Visa peeps that I was not confident of ever receiving cards and thus get totally stuck down there with no options. I know you told me about the same day FMM thing and this is what the guy at border also told me but my travel document person had already sent it to me so it was a done deal at that point...
Allwaters
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2021 at 03:20 PM

I came back after that big rain and roads seemed fine, camped between Puertecitos and Gonzaga and blue skies the next day which was yesterday 22nd. Two hour wait at San Luis to get back to USA. ATM card waiting at my friends in Parker Az, reunited with my bank accounts and apparently also have a CC waiting for me down there, but no USA drivers lic other than a photocopy and an electronic temporary one. There were so many screwups by Visa peeps that I was not confident of ever receiving cards and thus get totally stuck down there with no options. I know you told me about the same day FMM thing and this is what the guy at border also told me but my travel document person had already sent it to me so it was a done deal at that point... so dates were down on the 13th returned on the 22nd... going back hopefully on the 25th, supposed to storm again...
Allwaters
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2021 at 03:28 PM

Oh yea, most of the military checkpoint guys southbound were cool and did not search much, as well as northbound just asking general questions and being friendly but guyz at Gonzaga checkpoint went thru my truck, bags, packs under seats you name it, etc. finding nothing illegal of course but smelling every plastic bag they could find and searching apparently for pot or whatever. He was quite anal about the whole thing looked in many places and did the same for the southbound tourism vehicles. Be forewarned do not take or do illegal things down there, IT AIN'T THE USA. It is a different country with different cultures, attitudes etc You DO NOT want to end up in the nice roadside accomodations at the south side of Santa Rosalia.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-23-2021 at 03:50 PM

:light::biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2021 at 04:07 PM

That sucks.

You can call 800 numbers internationally.

880 replaces 800
881 replaces 888
882 replaces 877
883 replaces 866

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-23-2021 at 04:09 PM

You don’t need paper photocopies... Take photos of your cards, passport and DL Email them to yourself, or place copy in your cloud storage acct. you can log into email or cloud from any computer in the world.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-23-2021 at 04:17 PM

I did not lose my wallet, but I lost a bank cad linked to an Edward Jones money market fund. I must have dropped it after making a 10,000 peso withdrawal at an ATM in the La Paz Walmart.

I did not even realize it was missing until multiple charges at gas stations and convenience stores started showing up on my account, three to five days later. I was able to report the loss and get the card canceled on line, and was given a phone number to report the fraudulent charges. It was about 350 USD, mostly gasoline.

Even though it was a debit card, they replaced the amount that was charged to my account, after asking a bunch of questions and conducting an investigation!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2021 at 04:44 PM

Lost mine a few weeks ago. After searching my vehicle and my house, I called the restaurant I had been to. I said I can`t find my cartera. They said oh it is here!!! What a relief!!!
Restaurant is the Walnut Grove (or maybe Cove) a few miles south of Rosarito Beach. Get the ABC omelet with a side of beans! And an order of beans to take home!! :bounce:

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 1-23-2021 at 04:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  
Lost mine a few weeks ago. After searching my vehicle and my house, I called the restaurant I had been to. I said I can`t find my cartera. They said oh it is here!!! What a relief!!!
Restaurant is the Walnut Grove (or maybe Cove) a few miles south of Rosarito Beach. Get the ABC omelet with a side of beans! And an order of beans to take home!! :bounce:

and an OXXO next door for a Little Sumpin' for the ride home;)

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2021 at 05:36 PM

Losing wallets and cc and driver's licenses is one BIG headache.

allwaters, you don't know me but we live here in La Bocana, which is close to Vizcaino and I know a local girl who worked there and might have an in to have gotten your wallet back.

Sorry you had this headache, driving ALL THE WAY BACK? ughhh

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Allwaters
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2021 at 09:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Losing wallets and cc and driver's licenses is one BIG headache.

allwaters, you don't know me but we live here in La Bocana, which is close to Vizcaino and I know a local girl who worked there and might have an in to have gotten your wallet back.

Sorry you had this headache, driving ALL THE WAY BACK? ughhh

Hi Yes I drove back and began the rebuilding, u can pm me thru here. Appreciate any help. I did have peeps send messages to the Leys there thru police and others. I as well stopped there to ask security to see if it was returned there but no luck. I will again stop there to check once again... yup major headacke luckily no fraudulent activity on anything I can tell. Was able to close down everything before it was too long.
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2021 at 10:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

880 replaces 800
881 replaces 888
882 replaces 877
883 replaces 866

Yes, these codes are correct. Simply substitute the prefix codes and your calls will go through to the respective US numbers.

There is one caveat. Before the connection is completed there is a warning that you may be charged for the international call.

Sure enough - there was a charge of $ .30/min.

I called my US AT&T account services 'toll free' from La Paz. The call went through after the warning statement. My next US AT&T bill had a $6.00 US charge for the 20 minute call. (about 18 minutes on hold and a two minute conversation)

I do not know who is actually assessing the charges. Whether it was Telmex or AT&T but the charges showed up on my AT&T monthly statement.

Just a 'heads up'.
Allwaters
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2021 at 04:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RnR  

880 replaces 800
881 replaces 888
882 replaces 877
883 replaces 866

Yes, these codes are correct. Simply substitute the prefix codes and your calls will go through to the respective US numbers.

There is one caveat. Before the connection is completed there is a warning that you may be charged for the international call.

I called my US AT&T account services 'toll free' from La Paz. The call went through after the warning statement. My next US AT&T bill had a $6.00 US charge for the 20 minute call. (about 18 minutes on hold and a two minute conversation)

I do not know who is actually assessing the charges. Whether it was Telmex or AT&T but the charges showed up on my AT&T monthly statement.

Just a 'heads up'.

Thank for that. On the phone thing, lucky I had the expensive Verizon data and intnl plan... was able to call diff outfits and spent two entire days on the phone, manu times on hold off and on for hours. That would have been quite expensive had I been charged by the minute! Yikes!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2021 at 06:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RnR  

880 replaces 800
881 replaces 888
882 replaces 877
883 replaces 866

Just a 'heads up'.

AT&T now has free calling and data in all of North America.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Allwaters
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2021 at 05:57 AM

That sucks.

880 replaces 800
881 replaces 888
882 replaces 877
883 replaces 866

Thank u JZ, put these into my phone for hopefully never again potential future use.
Leo

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.