Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Playa Cocos/San Bruno Trip/fishing report
fishmaster
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2021 at 12:29 PM
Playa Cocos/San Bruno Trip/fishing report

Greetings,
Just a quick short report here, writing up a more detailed report.
We crossed Mexicali W. on Dec. 28th and had no problems. Got briefly checked at border with agent looking over my boat registration and searching the camper/boat. Got prepaid FMM stamped quickly at 5:30 am. Stopped at the bank on the way out of town to get Pesos and headed S on the 5. Truly impressed with the 5. The new section from Gonzaga to the 1 was as good as any U.S. highway. Stoked they even fixed those nasty vados near Puertocetos. The rest of the 1 was in great shape with only a few rough spots. No problems at any of the check points. We wore our masks and no one said one thing about COVID. They did check my temp. at the N/S border, but not my buddy. The riskiest part of the entire trip, from a COVID perspective, was shopping at Costco before I left. That was pure insanity!
We arrived in Santa Rosalia about 3:30 pm and stocked up on groceries and beer. The wind was up, so we decided to head to Playa Cocos to hide from the wind. Not may folks on the beach, with Gary being the only full-timer and a couple other overnighters and day use folks here and there. 15 of the 20 palapas remained empty most days. We got our choice to the best one. We stayed 5 days and, even with El Norte cranking, were able to fish each day until noon. We caught all sorts of different fish throughout the bay, including spotted rose and Amarillo snapper, triggerfish, rooster fish, corvina, Sierra, green jack, jack crevalle, African pompano and a couple more I'm forgetting. Had a great time hanging out with Gary and enjoying the "Baja beach life"!
With the wind finally laying down, we headed up to our friend Grant and Dar's place in San Bruno. We had excellent yellowtail fishing for 4 days at Isla San Marcos, averaging about 5 yellowtail per day. Most fish were caught slow trolling live mackerel, a new method for me (we usually catch them drifting Macks and on iron). We caught so many fish that we were able to can 50 pints! That will get us through the winter.
The wind came back up and we headed back to Playa Cocos. Rinse and repeat over the next 4 days and then we head back to San Bruno to finish up our trip. A couple rough days out at the island for our last two days of fishing, but the excellent YT fishing made our effort pay off.
We felt VERY COVID safe in Mexico. Almost everyone was wearing masks where they should have been. Stores required you to wear masks. Gas station attendants wore masks. Hand sanitizer was readily available. Plus, the Mexicans we spoke to were incredibly gracious we were there to spend some money. Many folks are hurting.
Left at 6 am and headed N. We reached the border about 4 pm and were looking forward to an easy crossing. In our complacency of spending an easy 3 weeks around Mulege, we forgot to wear masks while driving in Mexicali (we did on the way down). Folks warned us, so it was our own fault for forgetting. This was my first time crossing N at Mexicali and, in typical Mexico fashion, they were doing construction on the border crossing and the detour signs were inadequate. I remember folks saying not to follow the Google directions as it sends you to the Sentri line, so we got lost a few times. Perfect opening for Policia to pull us over. Officer take my license and says he is going to give us a ticket for not wearing masks while driving. I've been pulled over by Policia a half dozen times over 20+ years and learned (from chat boards) to not play their game, don't offer them money and agree to go to the station to pay the fine...they eventually let you go. That was the plan this time until he asked my friend to get out of the truck and the officer's eyes brightened (here comes his big pay day) when he noticed my friend wearing a leatherman. Officer gave me back my license, took my friends and said he was going to arrest him for carrying a concealed knife. At that point, I didn't feel comfortable calling his bluff on my friend:). Long story short, my friend handed over all his cash, $380, (not sure why he had it all on him???) and, after getting directions from the kind officer, we were off to the border crossing. Long line and we finally crossed a little after 5. Fortunately, the border agent took pity on us and we didn't get sent to secondary. A few lessons learned and others reinforced.
All in all it was a fantastic trip and I am counting down the days until I can again return to The Baja!
best fishes,
Steve
Arturo1

[*] posted on 1-24-2021 at 01:12 PM

Good to know, I wasn’t aware of having to wear mask while driving.
Is that only in Mexicali? I couldn’t imagine wearing my mask all the way down to Santa Rosalia. But I’ll do it if necessary.
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 1-24-2021 at 01:36 PM

Great trip report :bounce: . Was wondering how you canned up the fish you caught ?

Thanks ligui
fishmaster
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2021 at 02:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ligui  
Great trip report :bounce: . Was wondering how you canned up the fish you caught ?

Thanks ligui

We brought our canning stuff with us, plus our friend has a place in San Bruno. Canned YT is really good!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2021 at 11:32 AM

Next time call his bluff on the Leatherman, that BS. $380 made his day.
fishmaster
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2021 at 03:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

I didn't feel it was my position to call his bluff when it was my friend who was at risk. Turns out (looked it up), it is illegal to carry a concealed knife in Mexico. 5 years in prison! It was still total BS, but lesson learned. No more pocket knives or leathermen on your person when traveling in Mexico.
fishmaster
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2021 at 04:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Arturo1  
Good to know, I wasn’t aware of having to wear mask while driving.
Is that only in Mexicali? I couldn’t imagine wearing my mask all the way down to Santa Rosalia. But I’ll do it if necessary.

I think it is a policy throughout Mexico, but only a concern in towns with crooked Policia (eg. border towns).
medium Cool

[*] posted on 1-26-2021 at 09:42 PM

sounds like an awesome trip, that north side of San Marcos has always been worth the effort. that sucks about the 'shake down'
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2021 at 08:57 AM

Glad you enjoyed your visit down here. Any pic?

fishmaster
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2021 at 11:19 AM

Finally finished the video of our trip.

https://youtu.be/56kMQFtSOvY
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-15-2021 at 11:49 AM

Nice video... fish I.D. and Pink Floyd music, too!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-15-2021 at 11:56 AM

I have always carried a Leatherman tool in my tank bag.....a jefe at a military checkpoint at south end of Bahia Concepcion seemed quite interested in it....but didn't say anything about it.

I was under the impression blade length is the issue.

Any factual info on that ?

My research indicates carrying any knife may be considered as a concealed weapon and one can get up to 5 years jail time.

Better to lug around a 14" machete.:coolup:

[Edited on 2-15-2021 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2021 at 12:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishmaster  
Finally finished the video of our trip.

https://youtu.be/56kMQFtSOvY

Awesome vid! Who needs Cedros isl when there is San Marcos?
Nice release, nice work on the triple!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
Allwaters
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2021 at 06:21 AM

Dang, if that was $380 US that would suck big eggs in my book. I would have called BS on that and if he had offered $20 US would probably gotten the same result. The cops especially near border crossings are predatory and rely on this dirty business of scare tactics, on the same note I would not want to spend ANY time whatsoever in a hotel like the one just outside of Santa Rosalia. Best not to carry too much cash at border crossings or at the very least not admit to having that much onboard. After loosing my wallet as well as all my cards and cash on this trip I will try to do just so as well as be totally patient fully lawabyding and politically correct near borders, you are essentially just a sheep in line and open to an attack. They don't pay cops much (I spoke with one getting fish donations at a boatramp) that hasn't been paid for two months due to covid bs) and so they rely on this shakedown income. The talk is that in some major towns peeps have to wear masks in their own cars by themselves... this to me is stupid and I have not done so anywhere in Baja on this trip but it may give them a reason for a shakedown...
Allwaters
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2021 at 07:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

Probably more like made his whole month!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-19-2021 at 08:09 AM

Wearing a Leatherman on your belt is CONCEALED? :?::rolleyes:

Well, anyone who has traveled in Mexico for any length of time knows that the letter of the law has no meaning against a willful policeman.

But your story does have one possible lesson. NEVER HAVE ALL YOUR CASH IN YOUR WALLET. I assume the 380 was the amount he had in his wallet. Carry an amount that you are willing to give up, in the face of a mordida. It should be enough to make it worthwhile to the police but not enough to really hurt you. IMO, an equivalent to around 50.00US will usually work.

Keep the rest in a concealed money belt or underwear or somewhere else well concealed in the vehicle. But not in your personal belongings, which could be subject to search.

When we are traveling in Mexico for distances, with cash, my wife always carries the cash in her bra. As the vast majority of cops are male, they aren't likely to do a strip search on her for a traffic infraction.

[Edited on 2-19-2021 by Hook]
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2021 at 08:52 AM

Fun video, thanks for taking the time!!
fishmaster
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2021 at 09:58 AM

Yea, I'm not sure what my friend was thinking having his money belt on him. The officer found it when he frisked him. He's done a bit of traveling and knows better, just a lapse in thinking. As I mentioned, I didn't think it was my position to call the officers bluff when he was threatening to arrest my friend. After he took his license (and gave me back mine), it was up to my friend to decide what he was going to do. I was not going to pay him for the mask infraction, but we did make ourselves a target.
I do strongly encourage folks to get good maps of the crossing and make sure you know how to find it without Google maps or your vehicles navigation system. Both were wrong on our approach.
Even with the mordida, vacationing in Baja is a very cheap vacation:)
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2021 at 01:02 PM

Great trip report but how I hate those mordida's now that I know better.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.