Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Taking my Dog to Baja
Cyndarouh
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 11:40 AM
Taking my Dog to Baja

My vet just charged me 50 bucks for a ck up and cert. Which he announced it only good for 30 days. I can't see paying 50 every mth to take my best friend with me. Is there another way? Or some way that is less expensive than this LOL 600 a year to have my best friend hang out with us. Seems a bit tooooooo Much to me. :fire:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 11:44 AM
We have never been asked for a certificate

Cyndarouh
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 11:54 AM
Dog Cert

JR, I think I do have to have it to bring My Buddy Max home with me. Its not going down thats the prob. Plus hes a Baja dog they might want to keep him. :rolleyes:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 11:58 AM
I was talking about going north

but, it's fairly obvious that our dogs aren't from here, although one actually is.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 12:05 PM
dogs

while your down here just get a certificate from a vet here, here in La Paz our vet charges 7.50 we get it every time and have never been checked.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 12:19 PM

Cyndarouh, We have never ever been checked or even asked a question. The worst that could happen is you would be delayed while you turned around and got a cert in Baja.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 12:28 PM
Good Doggy

Cyndi, I take "Buzz" down every 6-8 weeks and have never been queried about his shots etc. My wife insists that we get the same certs as you do but there is no way we are going to visit the vet and pay that much all thetime.
I feel that if you have a cert no more than 6mo old it would probably suffice. Still, it is strange that the paper is good for only 6 weeks. I would not wooy and like someone said if worse came to worse you could find a vet in Baja to sign em off.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Cyndarouh
Nomad

eureka.gif posted on 3-30-2005 at 12:29 PM
Thank You All

Our Vet here in our little town just lost money. I will be taking both kids to a vet south. No more of this rip off for us. 35 bucks for the rattle snake shot and its a 3 series shot. 105 to have him not get sick from a bite. I guess Baja Rescues will be seeing a vet in Baja for the shots and such. We do need the vet for emergency but nothing else. The vet said he would do the shots and cert for free if I took him to baja mixed Margaritas and drove him around in a golf cart. I laughed said "drinks I can do, but we walk and hike for the exercise and it might not hurt you to do the same." I better take him in some Costa Rica Coffee in the morn. I don't think he liked my statement and the price for pups might go up. :?:
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 02:03 PM

cyndarouh,

This falls into the "For-What-It's-Worth" Department, since you've probably read enough to make a decision, but...

We assiduously followed the "Rules" for three years and a bunch of crossings in the Mexicali (both I and II) area, and were never asked to show papers for our Jack Russell Terrier (Scooter) by U.S. Customs.

They do ask his "citizenship" just like they ask us, but take our word that he has had all the shots, etc.

The only time there was ever an "incident" occurred when the U.S. Agent saw an apple lying on the center console.

The agent asked, "What about the apple?", which we guessed was a vague reference to the "No Fruit/ Plant" reg. But by that time Scooter had had enough of this uniformed intruder and had begun to snarl.

I just replied, "It's his," and pointed to the now ballistic terrier.

At which point, the agent just laughed and sent us on our way. :D

We have not bothered with those "certificates" for the past four years.

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 02:49 PM

We asked a US Customs agent if he ever checked for dog papers. He said "Never".
Whatever that's worth. We just make sure we have her shot records up to date and have never, ever been asked to show it to anyone and I've taken dogs to Baja for 20 years.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 04:01 PM

If anybody runs into any problems getting their pets back home just give me a call, my dogs vet lives a few blocks from my home and i can get a certificate pronto.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 04:04 PM

Jesse

We need to put your name and phone number on the back of our DOG License:lol::lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
Jesse

We need to put your name and phone number on the back of our DOG License:lol::lol:

No problema :lol:
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 04:23 PM

We have never been asked and, believe me, my mutts look Mexicana.
I think that flying is stricter; however, the last time we took our truly "side of the road" dog back all they asked was if we had any dog food in our bags.

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 06:56 PM
Requirement for a health certificate is

real when you import animals into Baja.

That being said, in hundreds of trips back and forth and down through Mexican checkpoints with the dogs over the years, the Mexican authorities have never shown any interest in our dogs whatsoever, except for the frequent question, "Morde?".

We always nod solemnly and say, "Si, cuidado."

However, the U.S. authorities have occasionally quizzed us and wanted to look at licensing paperwork.

As an aside, a vet told us that no dog with recent abdominal stitching (think being fixed) is allowed to cross because drug smugglers use dogs for transport. When on the other side, they just cut the dogs open, remove the contents and leave the dogs to die.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
Mexican authorities have never shown any interest in our dogs whatsoever, except for the frequent question, "Morde?".

We always nod solemnly and say, "Si, cuidado."

:lol::lol:

I don't suppose your vehicle has ever been searched?:biggrin:

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 07:10 PM
Never!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Humboldt Chris and Robin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 08:45 PM
we take ours

We take our two or three dogs when we go, and just suck it up for the health certificates - ours are good for two years. Never been asked, but I'd crap my pants if I ever had a hassle about it - small price to pay for peace of mind. Why yours id good for only 30 days is beyond me.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-31-2005 at 05:12 AM
Bringing your pet to Baja......

I have been bringing dogs to Baja for over 30 years. I always made sure I had the current papers, vacs, etc. Never once coming into Mexico or returning to USA have I ever been asked to produce anything pertaining to my pets.

On one trip I had gone to some lengths to make sure my chocolate lab was current on all shots, papers, etc before heading south...even persuaded a nice Sta. Barbera vet to do the work after hours. Naturally the Mexican customs guys didn't give a hoot about the dog..other than to just avoid her..she's real viscious as you can see. Four months later I was a little flustered by a obvilously uninterested US Customs agent when coming back through the border at San Diego. My lab was sitting next to me like she always does when we drive the Baja road. After the usual US entry questions the agent says, 'Have a good trip' and dismisses me. I thought, "Jeez, I go to all that hassle for the dog's requirements and nobody on either side gives a damn!" So I said to the US agent, "Aren't you going to ask about my lab's papers?" Well, that got the agent's attention real quick..She says, "Oh, a trouble-maker, huh? Pull over there into secondary!" as she puts a cone on my hood. They let me stew there for a long while. Then they checked the dog papers, took a long time taking the vechile apart looking for drugs, made me walk my dog while their dog sniffed my rig, and generally showed me who was boss. A lesson learned...don't say anything more than you have to with the customs on the pet requirement question. I got the impression they have more important things to do than check the pooch'es threat level.;D

[Edited on 3-31-2005 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2005 at 07:24 AM

Multiligual dog - likes sand as much as snow !

Can you believe this guy went to jail in baja ?

My wife got bitten by a local dog just outside of La Paz and when her yellow hero stepped in, the locals filed a complaint against our big lover. Fortunately, we had lots of witnesses and got him back the next afternoon.
Boy, did we sweat that night !

Point being, no one ever asked for papers, only checked his rabies tags.

We have never been asked for papers for any of our dogs anytime over the past 25+ years.

We had a baja mutt for a few years and solved the nationality question with a $10 dog tag from our local city hall. We always take copies of the shot records from the vet. They're free if you go in for the shots.

By the way Pompano, that dog is the wrong color ! Is that a yellow with a baja tan ? Need more suntan lotion ?

This (now old) guy won the western regional field trials when he was 2 1/2 and we lived in Laramie.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.