Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Hike to Oasis Santa Maria from Gonzaga side
aburruss
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2021 at 05:33 PM

And.. because life is life... other things have come up which are going to prevent us from doing this the last weekend in March. Keep us posted if/when you do it again.

I look forward to a trip report! :)
steekers
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2021 at 09:54 AM

Unfortunately we did not make it all the way. Not exactly an "easy day hike". There were 4 of us, three of which are pure novices at this type of hiking. I warned them to wear hiking boots to support their ankles and one did but the other 2 instead wore tennis shoes. These two also had a frame less backpack carrying two sleeping bags, food water, etc., but the straps gave out so we decided to make this a day trip and get as far as we can, get some experience under their belt, then have enough time to turn around. With this limited time we had a blast! This is an awesome canyon. Despite the very busy Gonzaga area, NO one to be seen. The dirt road back in from the paved road is 3.7 miles, then the big boulders stop any vehicles. Awesome place to camp. Got some drone shots of the ECR trail above the canyon floor. Next trip in April and this time will make it all the way or bust!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-28-2021 at 11:17 AM

Thanks for the report back Michael! I was expecting a call soon...

I also have some good news about the Temecula Museum collection.

As with all things, when the time is right!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

pjpvi
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 01:51 PM

FWIW, I did this as a 1-day loop hike on March 31 this year. I way underestimated the intensity and length of the hike and under prepared. Only had a cereal bar, pb&j sandwich, and 48 ounces of water. Luckily it wasn't too hot.

I camped in the wash near the start. Hiked the El Camino Real trail in, looked for the mission site for a while (didn't quite go far enough to get to it though), then hiked up and down into the canyon where I then hiked back out to my camp.

My stats were 13.86 miles / 2,784 of total elevation gain / 5:30 of moving time (all according to Strava).

It was beautiful and very rugged. Unfortunately not a lot of water in the canyon (or maybe that was a good thing). I was beyond spent by the time I returned to camp but I made it!

Very glad I did it but wish I had been better prepared with nutrition and water.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 03:38 PM

Thanks for the report. Where the El Camino Real trail drops into the mission valley, you are about 1.5 miles from the mission. Just follow the auto road to it. Yes, it has been reported to be quite a hike and two days would be better than all in one.
My son and I got maybe 2/3 of the way to the mission from the canyon entrance road end, hiking El Camino Real. We ran out of daylight, should have started much earlier!
If you have more photos or your GPS track to share, that would be super!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

steekers
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 04:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pjpvi  
FWIW, I did this as a 1-day loop hike on March 31 this year. I way underestimated the intensity and length of the hike and under prepared. Only had a cereal bar, pb&j sandwich, and 48 ounces of water. Luckily it wasn't too hot.

I camped in the wash near the start. Hiked the El Camino Real trail in, looked for the mission site for a while (didn't quite go far enough to get to it though), then hiked up and down into the canyon where I then hiked back out to my camp.

My stats were 13.86 miles / 2,784 of total elevation gain / 5:30 of moving time (all according to Strava).

It was beautiful and very rugged. Unfortunately not a lot of water in the canyon (or maybe that was a good thing). I was beyond spent by the time I returned to camp but I made it!

Very glad I did it but wish I had been better prepared with nutrition and water.

So did you stay in the canyon all the way to the water ponds? Sounds like you were up on the bluffs.
pjpvi
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 07:02 PM

Quote:

So did you stay in the canyon all the way to the water ponds? Sounds like you were up on the bluffs.

I went in up high on the El Camino Real trail and came out via the canyon.

Quote:

If you have more photos or your GPS track to share, that would be super!

I'll have to figure out how to post the photos and GPS track. Still kind of new to this forum.
pjpvi
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 07:17 PM

A few pictures from the days hike.

PXL_20210330_213311470.jpg - 222kB

PXL_20210331_133640685.jpg - 232kB

PXL_20210331_162259082.jpg - 220kB

PXL_20210331_164116965.jpg - 202kB

PXL_20210331_173549497.jpg - 232kB

PXL_20210331_190847725.jpg - 195kB

PXL_20210331_192321975.jpg - 245kB

PXL_20210331_201348325.jpg - 204kB
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 07:32 PM

WOW, looks amazing. I would love to do it the year after next, after retirement. Trail looks well used and I assume there would be water at the oasis if one took a filter? Maybe stay a night or two so you could really checkout the area.
pjpvi
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 07:33 PM

... and here is my track from the days hike. I had it set to log every 5 minutes.

I really wasn't sure I was on the El Camino Real trail until I got into the rocks of the mountain then it was very clear.

Attachment: Oasis hike.kml (223kB)
This file has been downloaded 188 times
pjpvi
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 07:38 PM

Quote:

WOW, looks amazing. I would love to do it the year after next, after retirement. Trail looks well used and I assume there would be water at the oasis if one took a filter? Maybe stay a night or two so you could really checkout the area.

It really was spectacular scenery and at least an overnight stay would make it much more enjoyable. Most all of the water was stagnate. I was really wishing I had my filter with me though as I got to a point of having to ration my water to get out. I bonked hard which was a little scary. Nothing guzzling water when I got back to camp followed by a nap in the hammock didn't take care of though.

Retirement is great! I highly recommend it!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 07:55 PM

Thanks for taking me along with you (via photos) because I no longer have the cardio output, or knees to make a hike like that anymore.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 08:09 PM

Eye candy for Camino Real groupies!
Thank you!

steekers
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 09:04 PM

We were there at your vehicle camp spot just 2 days earlier! Hiked in about half way. Was going to stay the night but had some backpack issues.

From your track I see you came down from the top and didn't quite get to the large pools that have better water.

Curious how you got to your where your vehicle was parked? Via the wash, or through the gate at KM 159?

We are planning another trip there this month or early next month for an over night, so if you care to join us, great! Send me a U2U.

[Edited on 4-24-2021 by steekers]
pjpvi
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2021 at 07:31 AM

Quote:

Curious how you got to your where your vehicle was parked? Via the wash, or through the gate at KM 159?

We are planning another trip there this month or early next month for an over night, so if you care to join us, great! Send me a U2U.

I came through a gate not the wash. I dropped a pin for the gate on Maps.me last year but not sure what KM marker it is at. Must be 159.

I'd love to but after running around Baja for 6 weeks my wife advised me that I really need to get moving on the kitchen refresh project which I will still be deep into when you go. Thanks for the invite though and please let us know how it goes. Also say hi to Wilsondó at the camp. I knew it was time to go home when I was talking to him over a beer the evening after the hike! :)

PXL_20210401_002323418.jpg - 224kB
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2021 at 07:52 AM
KMZ

Looks good... You hiked up the post-1769 El Camino Real, came within 1/2 mile of the mission, then turned around, hiked to the end of the bulldozed road (where the petroglyphs are), then went down the Indian Trail (which was the 1767-1769 El Camino Real), went up the canyon a bit to see the Pozo de Escuarda pool, then returned to your van in the canyon.

pjpvi
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2021 at 08:09 AM

Quote:

Looks good... You hiked up the post-1769 El Camino Real, came within 1/2 mile of the mission, then turned around, hiked to the end of the bulldozed road (where the petroglyphs are), then went down the Indian Trail (which was the 1767-1769 El Camino Real), went up the canyon a bit to see the Pozo de Escuarda pool, then returned to your van in the canyon.

I didn't know how much further the mission was and knew I had a long way back to camp so finally called it quits and turned around. Also didn't realize there were petroglyphs there. Maybe I'll see them next time.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-24-2021 at 08:40 AM

km 159 is correct

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-24-2021 at 08:47 AM

you walked right past them

doc sacred petroglyphh.jpg - 326kB

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2021 at 09:31 AM

Indeed... At the end of the bulldozed roadwork (where the Indian Trail drops down to the canyon bottom):

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.