Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trip Report: Calexico W. > Todos, Pt. 1
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2021 at 12:28 PM
Trip Report: Calexico W. > Todos, Pt. 1

Crossed 1/31 Sunday 9am, 1 car in front of me. Green light, stopped at migracion bldg. on left, got lost finding 5. Stayed Sandollar in San Felipe (thanks JZ). Told 1/2 checkpoints where I was going and waved through, other 1/2 South including SI were not manned. Zero traffic going S. Terrasal in GN had 5 guests. Desk guy said GN was not doing OK, a gringo guest told me the hospital was full.

Saw a billboard that read: masks are mandatory in BCS. Loreto has a smattering of gringoes walking around without masks. All MX were masked. Drying my dog off from the water at N. end of malecon, police stopped and told me to mask up. Yesterday, I was further down the beach walking back to car and saw police talking with a gringa who had a dog on the beach. She said the police said the beach was closed due to virus. See MX walking the beach through out the day so rules might apply to gringoes only. Don't know.

Loreto seems empty, otherwise, no gringos. Cafe Ole usually has people eating inside at tables, line for the counter, outside tables with groups of ex-pats, now empty. Tables removed and spread out. Local market, cafes, have shallow trays filled with liquid to step in, towel on ground to wipe shoes, local market taking temps before entering. Restaurants have dine-in, take out.

Guardia Nacional cars everywhere. In towns, on highway, in trucks. Easy to spot. Proceeding with caution next week to Todos and driving the speed limit.

Cloudy since El Centro, Loreto sunny, breezy, about 75F.

Staying at Stephen's Cocos Cabanas and place is empty.

If I didn't need to be in Todos for business, I wouldn't be down here.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-5-2021 at 12:54 PM

Thanks for the report.
On the Mexicali southbound problem, where the signs pointing for San Felipe missing or pointing the wrong way after you crossed?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2021 at 01:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Thanks for the report.
On the Mexicali southbound problem, where the signs pointing for San Felipe missing or pointing the wrong way after you crossed?

First time crossing there and thought there’d be lots of signs. Might have missed a sign or two. Possible I wasn’t lost. Even with Carplay maps on, thought I was lost. Thought it would be a straight shot but wasn’t.

Returning that way and have concerns. Also thinking using the East crossing. Discover Baja looks like a map I could use.

Suggestions on either crossing?

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

F*ck it.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2021 at 05:37 PM

Ya, go to Tecate! ;)

(just get to the the gate before 2pm)!!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2021 at 06:28 PM

4 hrs SF to Tecate and another 1-2 hrs wait doesn’t make sense. I’ll take my chances in Mexicali. Thx.:D

F*ck it.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2021 at 06:58 PM

Hmmm... if that is what you think, ok.

I do the San Felipe-Tecate run in 3 hours easily and the border wait, midweek is 0-10 minutes... in NORMAL times. Who can predict it now?
I do not like driving 5-10 miles across a city, either... Tecate is a dream compared to Mexicali or Tijuana.

RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2021 at 08:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Also thinking using the East crossing. Discover Baja looks like a map I could use.

Have used the Discover Baja map and photo directions to Mexicali East northbound the last two crossings. They are current and 'spot on'.

First time the border wait was about 20 minutes. The last time (Dec 2020), there were two cars ahead of us. Both times, we arrived at the crossing at about 11:00 am.

Have not tried Mexicali West so I can not compare the two.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-5-2021 at 08:53 PM

I do not like driving 5-10 miles across a city, either...

The horror! The horror!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-6-2021 at 07:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RnR  
Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Also thinking using the East crossing. Discover Baja looks like a map I could use.

Have used the Discover Baja map and photo directions to Mexicali East northbound the last two crossings. They are current and 'spot on'.

First time the border wait was about 20 minutes. The last time (Dec 2020), there were two cars ahead of us. Both times, we arrived at the crossing at about 11:00 am.

Have not tried Mexicali West so I can not compare the two.

I crossed northbound at the west entry twice in 2020. In March it was slow, but pretty straight forward to figure out where to go. In November it was a clusterf... following detours to a completely different route!

It was about two hours and lots of annoyed drivers to get to the front. Unless the reason for all the detours has been corrected, I would try the east crossing, even though I have never used it going north before.

Lee, if you are headed back to Colorado, Tecate would be extra miles out of the way, but San Luis could work out for you, and is an interesting change from Mexicali.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Lexusallterrain

[*] posted on 2-6-2021 at 08:53 AM

I do the San Felipe-Tecate run in 3 hours easily and the border wait, midweek is 0-10 minutes... in NORMAL times. Who can predict it now?
I do not like driving 5-10 miles across a city, either... Tecate is a dream compared to Mexicali or Tijuana.

I like crossing on Tijuana, usually if I cross after 10:00 am during the week it is a 1 to 2 hours. so i purchase churros or cocos with red powder while waiting.
I usually cross at Tijuana stay on left get border hwy hit Playas de Tijuana and then to Rosarito last exit. Then to Las Rocas Resort and enjoy the views....Oh! i am dreaming maybe i should go Monday...:D:D:D
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2021 at 09:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lexusallterrain  

I like crossing on Tijuana, usually if I cross after 10:00 am during the week it is a 1 to 2 hours. so i purchase churros or cocos with red powder while waiting.
I usually cross at Tijuana stay on left get border hwy hit Playas de Tijuana and then to Rosarito last exit. Then to Las Rocas Resort and enjoy the views....Oh! i am dreaming maybe i should go Monday...:D:D:D

Southbound, I agree with you, Tijuana is easy... I was speaking of northbound. Very little, like none, city traffic since you get right onto the border wall road heading west to the toll road, instantly now.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2021 at 10:26 AM

I've figured out how to drive Mexicali E. Between Discover Baja and Google Earth, I've memorized street names (generally useless for me) and more importantly, landmarks. Costco, Garita II sign, etc.

Don't see a problem. Tecate is out of the way as I plan on staying in El Centro. To me, Tecate is the lesser of 2 evils: San Ysidro and Mexical W. Luck of the draw, I've always had long waits at Tecate. Mid-week, mid-morning, early Sunday, usually 2 hours. So, I'll see and report back.

F*ck it.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2021 at 10:53 AM

When we drove up mid November we spent a night in San Felipe and crossed at Tecate at about 10:30 AM. I thought they might have closed the crossing as there were no cars in line. Got to the gate and there was one motorcycle ahead of me. Best crossing in my life!
Luck of the draw indeed!

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.