Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: starlink now taking orders
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-12-2021 at 08:18 AM

I suppose that the system is worth the price of admission if some one needs to be connected all the time. I don't, and in pre-covid days, I always looked forward to finding a restaurant or coffee shop with a WIFI connection once in a while to catch up on contacts.

I have spent quite a bit of time in remote locations searching the AM radio band for broadcasts from distant stations. It can be frustrating as the station you are listening to fades out, but there is always another one that gets stronger as the atmospheric conditions change.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2021 at 10:32 AM

I'm also an AM hound, I'd be curious what signals drift down from the US.

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around Life During Wartime - Talking Heads '79
C205Driver
Nomad

Mood: Life is Good

[*] posted on 2-13-2021 at 06:58 AM

...... Was camping at KOFA and went outside about 4AM to relieve the drought a bush was experiencing ; looked up and saw the Starlink Express.... It looked like a lit up train in the sky! As hundreds of satellites were passing by.... No wonder astronomers are unhappy....
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2021 at 07:49 AM

the AM references reminded me of being on the Caribbean coast of central America in the 70s. the number of stations was remarkable. fun to learn which country was the source. not to mention some bizarre programing.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-13-2021 at 08:38 AM

Your kids will never know a sky free of light pollution. Glad I saw the night sky before capitalists destroyed it!

The Night Sky Will Never Be the Same
Elon Musk’s plan for worldwide internet has sent bright artificial, lights streaking through the dark.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2020/02/spacex-s...

[Edited on 2-13-2021 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2021 at 12:02 PM

Camping out at Ensenada Muertos after about midnight you can get hundreds of radio stations from all over, but practically zero in the day time. Spooky
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2021 at 01:21 PM

Here’s a good explanation of the star link system directed towards RV’s but very good for stationary systems understanding on terms of complexity and cost.

https://rvlifestyle.com/starlink-internet-for-rvers/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-13-2021 at 01:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
Camping out at Ensenada Muertos after about midnight you can get hundreds of radio stations from all over, but practically zero in the day time. Spooky

Not spooky, it's just 'skip'!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2021 at 01:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by C205Driver  
...... Was camping at KOFA and went outside about 4AM to relieve the drought a bush was experiencing ; looked up and saw the Starlink Express.... It looked like a lit up train in the sky! As hundreds of satellites were passing by.... No wonder astronomers are unhappy....

Bush drought:lol: I am going to steal that on day

Yes AM long distance only comes out at night, totally normal. Todays <20's will have no idea what AM is. Does Baja have any AM channels?

Newer starlink SAT's are getting some black paint on them - from what i read

[Edited on 2-13-2021 by white whale]

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around Life During Wartime - Talking Heads '79
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2021 at 01:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by C205Driver  

Jeff Bezos of Amazon is also unhappy and is petitioning to restrict Elon Musk and Space X from cluttering up space he considers to be his, although Musk is far ahead of him in Space Technology. Bezos hasn’t got off the ground yet, much less launched satellites. Let the multi billionaires sort it out.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 2-13-2021 at 03:07 PM

gonna get busy up there!

Earth’s low orbit is about to become a very busy place—and not just on account of SpaceX. Similar constellations are being developed by OneWeb, Space Norway, and Telesat for the U.S. market, which suggests this is about to become a highly competitive space. In space.

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2021 at 03:52 PM

Very few are aware of how vulnerable all of these assets in space are. Any one of the rogue nations such as N Korea, Iran, et al. that now have the ability to get into space can do a very simple launch into low orbit and detonate a high powered explosive, nuke or conventional, full of shrapnel that can destroy or keep anything from entering or leaving earth through the low orbit belt. It’s just a question of who has the least to loose. What a game changer and change of life for the world. Not a popular discussion, but the powers that be have little influence besides warning “ Better Not, serious consequences will result”. I have heard this possibility discussed as much of my working career was spent in many of the aerospace company’s.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2021 at 04:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
way expensive
Starlink @ $99/mo for 50Mb/s
My wireless @ $70/mo for 10Mb/s
Telcel and Telnor wireless @ $20/mo for 9-10Mb/s

Satellite i-net has never been cheap. This is for people who have no wireless and no cable. After they will have built enough customer base they will probably jack the price up, like others. And then, there is equipment lease - I think it's already more expensive than from other providers.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2021 at 04:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by white whale  

Depends where you are. On a regular telescopic antenna of portable radio - not much, as you go farther South. You can get these LA stations: KFI AM 640 and KNX AM 1070 - news, weather. Some preachers - those have lots of money, powerful transmitters.

[Edited on 2-13-2021 by Alm]
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2021 at 06:28 PM

heres a good explanation of starlink, speeds, history comparison etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXPnvt0XaRI

and if you really want to know how bad hughesnet sucks - heres my current speed from them
0.78 Mbps download

0.28 Mbps upload

Latency: 50 ms
Server: Chicago

[Edited on 2-16-2021 by caj13]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-15-2021 at 07:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

Depends where you are. On a regular telescopic antenna of portable radio - not much, as you go farther South. You can get these LA stations: KFI AM 640 and KNX AM 1070 - news, weather. Some preachers - those have lots of money, powerful transmitters.

At night you can pick up AM radio stations many hundreds of miles away because of radio waves bouncing off the ionosphere.
In the USA many AM radio stations reduce their power at night because of this sky wave effect, and many broadcast directionally after dark,... if everyone broadcast omnidirectional at full power after sunset, the radio dial would be chaos.

That’s why AM radio is interesting to listen to at night, being able to listen to obscure stations far off.
During day there is no sky wave effect, and all you hear is local stuff.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 2-15-2021 at 08:27 PM

We paid our deposit for Starlink a couple of days ago. It’s the same price as the point to point we’re currently using and a lot faster. Ultimately it will work here in Mexico allowing VOIP phone and internet.

As for DXing AM Radio, I built my first Xtal receiver in the mid ‘50s when there were still weekly radio shows! In the ‘70s Wolfman Jack aired from the radio station in Rosetta Beach. At night you could hear his show north of Whitehorse in Canada! That requires multiple reflections off the Heaviside layer (Google it!)
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2021 at 10:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

In La Bocana I also get a few from the bay area. Sports news and traffic info. that fades away as the sun comes up.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2021 at 10:05 PM

Baseball games on radio are the best, every game sounds exciting.

or boxing.

[Edited on 2-16-2021 by msteve1014]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2021 at 07:03 PM

Yes, AM waves reflect off the upper layers of atmosphere in the night.

What puzzled me was many FM stations from the mainland when camping on the coast about 60 miles South of BOLA. These frequencies don't reflect from atmosphere and normally can't be received farther than 20-30 miles. They do reflect off water, but I was surprised to hear it so loud and clear. While in the actual BOLA you could barely get 1 or 2 FM stations with poor signal quality.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.