BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Crossing into Baja with a trailer in someone else's name
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 2-28-2021 at 10:40 AM
Crossing into Baja with a trailer in someone else's name

Posting this for a friend.

He is American and lives full time near Ensenada and has a Residente Permanente.

He just bought a used travel trailer in the states and will have the registrations and title but will be in the sellers name. He will register it in either California or Texas but the paperwork will take time and he would like to drive it across now at either Otay or Tecate.

Anyone have first hand experience on transporting a travel trailer that is registered to someone else? Like I said all he has to do is get it just past Ensenada to his house then he can just wait for the paperwork that will put it in his name.

Thanks to all.

[Edited on 2-28-2021 by Howard]

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-28-2021 at 10:50 AM

Not a travel trailer, but I pulled a boat on a trailer that belonged to someone else. I had the registration, and a notarized statement from the owner that I had permission to do so.

It probably needs to be noted on the insurance paperwork, although that did not occur to me when I pulled the boat into Baja.

Edit; The agent did look at the statement, and there was no problem, but I got the impression that he did not read English.

[Edited on 2-28-2021 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-28-2021 at 11:24 AM

Remember your Mexican auto insurance must be modified when adding a trailer!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2021 at 12:59 PM

As a California resident, I've purchased used trailers, dirt bikes, and trucks with plans to go to take them to Baja. To avoid problems, I won't do it without the registration in my name. I'd rather spend the additional $35 - $45 to use a private vehicle registration service. Their computer links with the California DMV. I get instant registration paperwork and current sticker. No DMV lines, and no waiting weeks for the registration.
The Certificate of Title arrives in the mail a couple weeks later.
AAA Auto Club provides free registration service to members.
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2021 at 01:14 PM

Not a travel trailer, but, I borrowed my neighbor's 14 ft cargo trailer for eight years in a row.

The registration was in his name. Not a problem at San Ysidro or Tecate. Every year Mex Customs checked the registration against the plate number (Calif) and the VIN number on the trailer. That was it!

Customs never asked for my name or ID so they never actually checked the registration against my name. Remember, they are "customs" and not "immigration". Maybe it is not important to them. They just wanted to verify that the regis/vin were current. And I was driving a NV registered truck pulling the neighbor's CA registered trailer.

I did have a permission letter signed by the neighbor in my possession just in case but Customs never asked to see any documentation. The letter was just signed, not notarized.
dravnx
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2021 at 08:28 AM

As in all things in Mexico, it's better to have the proper documents and not need them then to need them and not have them.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2021 at 08:48 AM

i was crossing at TJ several years with a motorbike [mine] in the back of my truck.
i was asked for registration or other proof of ownership.. i didn't have any.
$20 made the problem go away.. i love how easily problems can vanish in Mexico.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2021 at 09:30 AM

If you're a member of the Auto Club, you can get it all re-registered within about an hour. My friend buys and sell dirtbikes we get off CL and it's really quick and easy.

John
Bajahunter

[*] posted on 5-3-2021 at 07:59 PM

I asked the aduanas in Mexicali last year if it was a problem crossing other people’s toys or trailers and they said no problem as long as registration was correct

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.