BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Nomadland??? (Golden Globe award)
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-26-2021 at 02:16 PM

All that does is increase what a living wage is. Increasing inflation.

Yesterday I went to a sushi restaurant. Still not open for in dining. I asked why, are they afraid?, and he says, "Nobody wants to work, they are all enjoying their EDD."

It's like someone is trying to buy votes and keep the poor, poor and on the govt. tit.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2021 at 03:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
All that does is increase what a living wage is. Increasing inflation.

Yesterday I went to a sushi restaurant. Still not open for in dining. I asked why, are they afraid?, and he says, "Nobody wants to work, they are all enjoying their EDD."

It's like someone is trying to buy votes and keep the poor, poor and on the govt. tit.

What a lame excuse the owners make. Being closed better than paying the workers a bit more and charging people who can easily pay, a bit more? Come on, JZ. Even you don't believe that crap. I'd wager the owners took a PPP loan and are sucking the government tit as well. Why would anyone keep a business closed for such a lame excuse?

Paying someone enough so EDD, Medicaid, SNAP are unnecessary is the entire purpose of a $15 wage.

And, you need to take an economics course and learn exactly what inflation is, and is not. The price of renting alone is already sky high, where are they supposed to get that extra money? You are very lucky, as am I, but so many others are not. We really have no clue in our lily white crime free neighborhoods. Maybe a lost cat or dog, that's our worry.

I think someone who just bought a brand new RZR could also maybe pay a bit more for sushi so the owners could pay more to their workers and get them back. How much money do they make from a closed sushi bar? Maybe an open bar with slightly higher prices would be an improvement for them, and their workers? And, you can always leave a tip, if that's something you believe in. I do hope you're not like Steve Buscemi's character (Mr. Pink) in Reservoir Dogs, are you?

I bet you probably tip very well, actually. Good for you!

You did want to eat sushi, right? Here's your solution. Bon Apetit!

John

[Edited on 4-26-2021 by John Harper]
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-26-2021 at 03:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

What a lame excuse the owners make. Being closed better than paying the workers a bit more and charging people who can easily pay, a bit more? Come on, JZ. Even you don't believe that crap.

Paying someone enough so EDD, Medicaid, SNAP are unnecessary is the entire purpose of a $15 wage.

And, you need to take an economics course and learn exactly what inflation is, and is not.

I think someone who just bought a brand new RZR could also maybe pay a bit more for sushi so the owners could pay more to their workers and get them back. How much money do they make from a closed sushi bar? Maybe an open bar with slightly higher prices would be an improvement for them, and their workers? And, you can always leave a tip, if that's something you believe in. I do hope you're not like Steve Buscemi's character (Mr. Pink) in Reservoir Dogs, are you?

I bet you probably tip very well, actually. Good for you!

You did want to eat sushi, right? Here's your solution. Bon Apetit!

John

It "might" be ok in CA, but sure isn't ok for Alabama, etc.

Even in CA, paying someone a "minimum" of $31K/year is a lot of coin for a business.

I don't think you guys have thought this through very well. Go talk to some small biz owners. Even the left leaning ones will tell you it's not a good idea.

[Edited on 4-26-2021 by JZ]

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 4-26-2021 at 03:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Large and small businesses can afford to pay low wages because they rely on government to provide their employees with food stamps, section 8 housing and other welfare.

If a business can’t afford to pay living wage and relies on welfare programs for their employees to survive, then perhaps the business should not be in business, eh?

BINGO we all subsidize their cheap ass crap. Walmart comes to mind.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2021 at 03:46 PM

I don't think you guys have thought this through very well. Go talk to some small biz owners. Even the left leaning ones will tell you it's not a good idea.

I was in the business world many years, even have an MBA in Finance. If I was a small business owner and knew I could pay my employees much less because they could just qualify for SNAP, Medicaid, etc, you're damn right I'd do it. Who wouldn't pass on the cost to the taxpayers if you could. That's just "smart" in the eyes of capitalists and also the "former guy." Paying $15 means I might have to adjust my business model or raise prices, but it also affects my competitors, so it's really a moot point, since it affects all businesses, not just mine.

Just ask Walmart, that's been their business model for years.

Same a forcing business to adopt E-Verify, so there is no chance of employing undocumented workers, with stiff fines for violations. Problem solved on that front too. Why does business resist E-Verify? So they can hire undocumented workers, pay them less, and profit.

And, what's wrong with paying $15 an hour in Alabama? Maybe your oysters might cost another $3 a dozen, you can afford it, or order clams.

John

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-26-2021 at 03:53 PM

Oysters are awful. Calms and mussels are money.

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2021 at 04:29 PM

Oysters are awful. Calms and mussels are money.

I love them all, amigo!

John
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2021 at 05:13 PM

I think there is a lot of blame to go around for the predicament the US, as well as other countries, is currently in. Free trade agreements made it easier for companies to move manufacturing operations overseas where labor is much cheaper, killing much of the middle class here in the US. Additionally, automation has made it possible to reduce the workforce even further by using robotics and other processes to complete menial repetive tasks. The adoption of artificial intelligence (AI) has the potential to replace many white collar workers; you might not need an accountant or possibly management positions in the future. Undoubtedly, the creation and destruction of technology brings new career fields and opporutinities, but I believe we are currently behind the eight ball in regards to educating the population for many of these new fields. Sure, we can raise the minimum wage to 15 dollars an hour, but what will businesses do when that happens? I think they will invest in more automation to reduce labor costs even further. Don't get me wrong, I do not believe the minimum wage has not kept up with inflation, especially in places like California. I can forsee in the future where the goverment will tax businesses for each robotic mechanism used to help pay for social programs. On a serious note, I just looked at the national debt clock, which is currently more than $28,000,000,000,000. I would like to hear some honest ideas from fellow Nomads on how they think that will be paid, if at all. I think the country is more fooked than just raising minimum wage to 15 dollars an hour. Out of curiosity, what is the current minimum wage in Mexico?
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 4-26-2021 at 05:28 PM

Out of curiosity, what is the current minimum wage in Mexico?

they just raised it, still under eight bucks a day:(
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2021 at 06:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by drzura  
On a serious note, I just looked at the national debt clock, which is currently more than $28,000,000,000,000. I would like to hear some honest ideas from fellow Nomads on how they think that will be paid, if at all.

The United States is an "ongoing concern" in business terms. But, we are not a business. We can borrow, spend, and print money. As long as there is "full faith" in the future of the USA, there is no problem with debt. Older theories about national debt impacting the credit market have shown to be less impactful than predicted. Kind of like the power of tax cuts for the rich providing higher wages, etc. We know how that works.

Either way, take a look at Modern Monetarist Theory, it has its merits. Global monetary demand is more important than most people think. It was called "petrodollars" in the 1980's, just evolved into MMT, as economists realized all those petrodollars were absorbed into the global economy.

The result: low inflation for a long time now, and with projected growth to absorb the new spending and dollar market, probably low inflation as well.

Obviously, certain markets will fluctuate. Supply and demand still exert a lot of force on prices, more than an oversupply of dollars. Look at rent in Los Angeles, completely based on limited supply/high demand. Let's pay $15 and hour in Alabama, Mississippi, etc and take the pressure off housing in Los Angeles. Give people a reason to move to places with excess housing.

John

[Edited on 4-27-2021 by John Harper]
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2021 at 06:39 PM

On a serious note, I just looked at the national debt clock, which is currently more than $28,000,000,000,000. I would like to hear some honest ideas from fellow Nomads on how they think that will be paid, if at all.

The United States is an "ongoing concern" in business terms. But, we are not a business. We can borrow, spend, and print money. As long as there is "full faith" in the future of the USA, there is no problem with debt. Older theories about national debt impacting the credit market have shown to be less impactful than predicted. Kind of like the power of tax cuts for the rich providing higher wages, etc. We know how that works.

Either way, take a look at Modern Monetarist Theory, it has its merits. Global monetary demand is more important than most people think. It was called "petrodollars" in the 1980's, just evolved into MMT, as economists realized all those petrodollars were absorbed into the global economy.

The result: low inflation for a long time now, and with projected growth to absorb the new spending and dollar market, probably low inflation as well.

Obviously, certain markets will fluctuate. Supply and demand still exert a lot of force on prices, more than an oversupply of dollars. Look at rent in Los Angeles, completely based on limited supply/high demand. Let's pay $15 and hour in Alabama, Mississippi, etc and take the pressure off housing in Los Angeles. Give people a reason to move to places with excess housing.

John

I see you said that "We can borrow, spend, and print money". Do we ever have to pay it back? Do you think we can legitimately pay it back? I am just thinking that there has to be some dollar ceiling where people will not have "full faith" that it will ever be paid back. I do not know what that dollar amount is and nor does anyone else. I heard that if interest rates ever normalized, the country would be screwed. Well.. someone told me it's all funny money anyways not backed by anything. Should probably just enjoy the ride while it lasts. :biggrin:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-26-2021 at 07:27 PM

John

I see you said that "We can borrow, spend, and print money". Do we ever have to pay it back? Do you think we can legitimately pay it back? I am just thinking that there has to be some dollar ceiling where people will not have "full faith" that it will ever be paid back. I do not know what that dollar amount is and nor does anyone else. I heard that if interest rates ever normalized, the country would be screwed. Well.. someone told me it's all funny money anyways not backed by anything. Should probably just enjoy the ride while it lasts. :biggrin:

Well, as long as the GOPers keep cutting taxes, and dems and GOP won’t cut spending, the debt will rise.
The logical thing to admit is that we all like government services, and we all just need to pay taxes to fund govt services.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2021 at 07:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

John

Well, as long as the GOPers keep cutting taxes, and dems and GOP won’t cut spending, the debt will rise.
The logical thing to admit is that we all like government services, and we all just need to pay taxes to fund govt services.

I would tend to agree with you to a certain point, but I think government has gotten too big and keeps getting bigger every single year. I also believe EVERYONE, including corporations, should pay taxes, whether a flat tax with zero deductions is the answer... I do not know. The country needs to debate the appropriate size of government and should have to pay for it... a balanced budget.
ch47pilot
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2021 at 06:02 AM

What in the world does all this have to do with our beloved Baja ?
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-27-2021 at 02:49 PM

It has nothing to do with Baja. It's about people caged up in the house . With nothing better to do get a life people enjoy it 🙂.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 4-27-2021 at 02:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
It has nothing to do with Baja. It's about people caged up in the house . With nothing better to do get a life people enjoy it 🙂.

x2
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2021 at 04:46 PM

What in the HELL does all this chatter to do with Nomadland?
Both my wife and I enjoyed the show....

[Edited on 4-28-2021 by KasloKid]
del mar
Banned

[*] posted on 4-27-2021 at 05:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

it was me.....:no: it was dead and buried then sunday night I had to open my big mouth, from there we took off to walmart, clams and oysters then on to minimum wage.......sorry
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2021 at 06:22 PM

I can assure you that while the Mexican minimum wage is absurdly low, that isn't what Mexicans earn anywhere that is touristy or has a visible expat population. You can't get a maid or a gardener where I live for less than 100 pesos/hour. And skilled labor is quite a bit more.
del mar
Banned

[*] posted on 4-27-2021 at 06:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

I can assure you that while the Mexican minimum wage is absurdly low, that isn't what Mexicans earn anywhere that is touristy or has a visible expat population. You can't get a maid or a gardener where I live for less than 100 pesos/hour. And skilled labor is quite a bit more.

yup..that wasn't really the question though was it:rolleyes:
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.