Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Back from another 2-weeks on Guardian Angel Island
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2021 at 04:46 PM
Back from another 2-weeks on Guardian Angel Island

Third two-week trip to Guardian Angel Island in 6 months. Total isolation. Didn't speak to anyone.

Ride over with fishermen friends. Camped with kayak (and bears) north end in shelter of string of islands... enjoying peace, fresh air and amazing wildlife.

Puerto Refugio two-mile hike away. Sail Rock a few miles offshore.

Getting old... so enjoyed sitting out sipping beer or coffee and admiring sea and sky.

When wind down, fished and explored by kayak. Great stretch of rugged coast... so many arches and caves. Birds showed me how to fish.

Windy days hiked into the desert. Always mindful to raven proof camp. No coyotes (or vultures) on the 40-mile-long island. But ravens quick to land and poke around to see what I'd brought them.

A few pictures to help visualize how spectacularly beautiful it was.

Great time of year. Hardly a bug. No rattlesnakes. Not too hot or cold. Baja camping at its best.

IMG_6774a.JPG - 152kB IMG_0325a.JPG - 263kB IMG_8741a.JPG - 104kB IMG_6674a.JPG - 148kB IMG_8943a.JPG - 183kB IMG_8470a.JPG - 146kB IMG_9133a.JPG - 200kB

IMG_8622a.JPG - 217kB

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-8-2021 at 06:02 PM

Lovely !!! Nice to see the bears have their own tent.:coolup:

Don't believe everything you think....
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2021 at 06:23 PM

Great trips you share with us Graham!

I also noticed the Nomad Guest tent.

Scot
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-8-2021 at 08:00 PM

:bounce::bounce::bounce::biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2021 at 09:04 PM

Yes, Paddy and Lavender did have their own "honeymoon" suite. Trusted them with the beers! They always seemed very keen on retiring!

But I'm sure they'd make room for all Nomads!

And thanks David Kier for always supplying great wind forecasts via my SPOT-X. Made all the difference. Appreciate your taking the time.

IMG_8370a.JPG - 157kB IMG_6823a.JPG - 127kB IMG_6756a.JPG - 140kB IMG_9165a.JPG - 136kB IMG_0349a.JPG - 188kB

gueribo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2021 at 09:17 PM

Thanks for the report and update. Wish I were there now!
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2021 at 09:28 PM

What an adventure. I remember in the past you had a desalination set-up for drinking water, is that still the same?
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2021 at 09:34 PM

Graham that was awesome again! Wish I had that kind of peace and quiet around here! Been to that part of the island a few times on fishing trips and it is amazing. Hope you are doing good and getting your vacs!

[Edited on 3-9-2021 by BornFisher]

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2021 at 12:58 PM

Excellent report and pictures, thanks.
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2021 at 02:29 PM

Had my handpump desalinator... but didn't need it as I took a boat ride over there and had more than enough water... came back with about three gallons.

When I kayaked around the island about 15 months ago, finished each day towards the end pumping about half-a-gallon of drinking water.

Having a well stocked base camp was a very different experience. Had time to linger and enjoy the views and the wildlife... and a beer or two.

Great to hear from you Mr. Fisher. Saludos to the family. Hope all's well. I got my first Covid shot about a month ago... so now not just relying on social distancing and healthy Baja lifestyle.

Thought of all those Tony Reyes fishing excursions to Guardian Angel when I hiked over to Puerto Refugio and gazed at Granito and other islands.

IMG_2084a.JPG - 136kB IMG_0641a.JPG - 240kB IMG_6553a.JPG - 126kB IMG_8583a.JPG - 130kB

Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2021 at 04:54 PM

Thanks for posting Graham.

It is on my trip list to take my Windrider 17 to that island. Looks amazing!
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2021 at 08:06 PM

Well worth a visit... but watch those winds. About 20 miles straight across from town of LA Bay.

Boats have been overturned and ripped apart by sudden west winds. Tell some of the tales in my book "Marooned With Very Little Beer." A couple have become TV survival episodes.

And you're crossing 5000-foot-deep Canal de las Ballenas. Water is always cold. Hypothermia usually accounts for most fatalities.

I always study windfinder.com and pick days that can be as smooth as glass... or whatever is best for sailing.

Straight across from Bahia is the sheltered cove of Este Ton. Great safe landing. Beautiful and colorful.

Jan through March are best months to avoid noseeums. Good luck. Enjoy.

Picture30aa.jpg - 137kB ET.jpg - 144kB

medium Cool

[*] posted on 3-9-2021 at 08:31 PM
north end

Sounds like an absolutly beautiful couple weeks.

Thinking you've scoped out different areas each trip, this time of year you could get blown away on that north end but the tents and teddy's looked sound and secure, great report.

I love Tecate light!!:cool:
eguillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2021 at 05:32 PM

RE Tecate light, you gotta respect the little carved out eagle shape on the opening tab these days. Now *that's* branding.

RE this excellent trip report, if Graham is willing to talk about the fishing, I'm all ears! A lot of the inshore areas seem pretty hard-hit these days, but I bet it's different out there.
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2021 at 11:19 PM

Hard to be sure this is not a seasonal thing... Lots of smaller fish that the birds were feasting on... but surprisingly little big fish action.

There are fish camps close by on Isla Mejia and in Puerto Refugio, and pangas I did see were with divers from the mainland. Saw six in one panga. Sure has major impact on the food chain.

Other places around the island, and even in LABay ... fishing was much better from shore and on the kayak. Larger predator fish were chasing fish on to the beach.

I certainly was happy to put down the fishing pole and watch the birds at work... ospreys in particular were taking fish at will.

IMG_5346a.JPG - 245kBIMG_0137a.JPG - 108kB

sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2021 at 06:17 PM

Hi Graham!

Do you have any photos of those fish on your grill?

Now I need a fish dinner.

Thanks
Scot
eguillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2021 at 06:38 PM

Right?! :)

I recognize that grouper . . . the small ones are perfect for a shore lunch. I have two more days to try and see a yellowtail despite quite a bit of hopeful jigging. Twice down here in the Loreto area I've hooked up a strong fish jigging iron over deep spots, only to bust my back and shoulders for what turns out to be a shark. I know they're good to eat, but unless they've swallowed the jig, I'm happy to let them go without losing a finger.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.