BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fishy questions...para Pompano del Cortes?
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 03:31 PM
Fishy questions...para Pompano del Cortes?

I would like to know how much fishing pressure the area around Mulege sees.
Any idea of the number of local pangueros?
Iam aware that it is seasonal but was curious as to ask, how many..... Spring Break/Semana Santa visitors take to the water. I saw lots of boats being pulled around on trailers but I don't recall seeing large amounts of craft out in the area. Is this because they head out to the deep water and islands before I manage to get up and take a look. Pampano indicated a line-up at the Serenidad launch but is that unusual.

I was doing some shore fishing and within 15 mins had three nice Triggers of which we kept one. I had tried the same place earlier in the year but no Triggers.
I love to fight them on med light tackle and they have a non-fishy flavor. Just don't yield much and are tricky for the beginner to fillet out. Are they in and out with the tide? Are they seasonal and/or territorial in their range? Do they normally make certain areas their home or are they nomadic. Thanks, Sharks

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-31-2005 at 06:28 AM
Sharks... on fishing pressure and those pesky Triggers....

There is not a whole lot of boats that you will see from the shore, except some local pangas tendng shallow nets, making bait, scalloping, etc. Most fishermen are far offshore or down the penisula. Depends on what you are after. Right now the emphasis is on yellowtail and that's all offshore these last many years. AT one time, I could catch them from my seawall along with lots of roosters, but those days are dim memories now. How many boats on the waters in a given day..hmmm...a lot I suppose. At San Marcos there could be as many as 20-30 US sportsboats out of San Lucas Cove camps and maybe another 30 local pangas working the routine areas for bottom stuff. Sta. Inez/Pta. Chivato areas for yellows, etc. will produce daily clusters of 20 boats..with another dozen or so US & charter-panga boats from Mulege. On a busy day Mulege could send out 50 US boats and another 50 commercial pangas. Tell you what, next time running the river, etc. I will count the pangas and US boats for you...will be interesting to see how many hulls there are in Mulege. Anyone care to start a guessing contest? Total US & Local boats used on a regular basis out of Mulege and the Bay. (We have to include the Bay,.. after all, I and a lot of other fishermen live there.)
In dorado season, look out...you might get broadsided in the River Race to get out there and troll those feathers! The Bay always has a good share of boats on the water for fishing and fun.

Triggerfish.... The odd thing about triggers for me personally...is the fact that when I got here so many years ago, I didn't really appreciate all the good trigger fishing we had at our fingertips. In the Bay of Conception back then (before the Dead Sea syndrome--pre 80's) you couldn't drop a bait, troll a small lure, or dangle your toe over the side without getting one of those pesky 3-6 lb triggers! They were everywhere it seemed and we would get out the pliers and carefully de-hook them and then play a little with the 'trigger' before releasing them back into the water. But be careful with those dagger/chisel teeth..you could lose a fingertip! We really thought of them like the 'bullheads' back home..fun to catch, but not to keep. Boy, were we wrong! Tastier fillets and ceviche you will not find. Nowadays, I seek out my favorite trigger holes and relax for what I know will produce some great eating and a good fight on light tackle. One or two of my best spots that are easy to find are: just south of Mulege estuary towards the micro-tower and check out the rocky points below using shrimp heads for bait. Stay deep.. at least 25ft or more. Also off the mine area and osprey rock south of Pt. Conception using the bait or a good feathered jig or dart. Lots of fun to cast for these guys.

I like incoming tides the best. Triggers are usually found in the same areas year round..near rockpiles, structure of some sort...and not necessarily shallow. I have some of my best luck in 60-100 ft. Find those piles on your sonar and you should be good to go. I have regulary caught them with a Mirrolure while looking for snapper, cabrilla, or yellowtail along shorelines and points. They are not fussy and whatever you use for bait or casting will probably get 'em. Here's some trigger pics from 1973 in the Bay...little did we know. :wow:

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2005 at 02:33 PM
Good info Pompano

but of course I wouldn't ask anyone else:lol:
It would be interesting to evaluate the number of vessels in the area and the impact locally. I heard that (shrimp?)trawlers have skirting or otherwise fishing in BOC. Is that true? Is that legal?:?:

I love triggers

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 3-31-2005 at 02:39 PM
fishy

You know for years we take the triggers and cut them into small chunks,boil them and when cold dip them into c-cktail sauce excellent with corona(yes corona you might say I was raised on the skunky stuff). Mostly years ago they didn't refrigerate it like they do now so that where the skunky taste comes from.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-31-2005 at 05:30 PM
Personally, I'm convinced

that the custom of squeezing limes into beer started because someone realized how it took away the skunk flavor of a Corona. We used to refe to the Corona aftertaste after a few of them as a "dishwater" flavor....almost slightly soapy.

Tecate doesn't need limes.......but I still do add it occasionally.

Not a huge fan of Pacifico for all-day drinking. Too much hopsy flavor for hot sun. Better with food.....but there it has to compete with Bohemia and Negra Modelo; no contest, IMO.

The fact that Corona and Cuervo gold are by far the biggest selling imports of each beverge says something about how easy Americans are to market to.
Bajaddict
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2005 at 06:23 PM
Don't fillet the triggers!

You'll just get frustrated and dull your knife.

The best way, that I have found, to deal with triggers is to gut them, stuff with limes and butter, wrap with foil, and toss 'em on the bar b que for a short spell. The skin will lift off effortlessly with a fork, and your fillet knife will retain a sharp edge. All that time alotted for filleting can now be put to better use chugging beer.

My Father told me about this teqnique, so naturally I was skeptical. The old man was proven correct again!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-31-2005 at 06:40 PM
Nice method, Bajaddict...

I will give that-in-the-round grilling method a try. You can also easily skin a trigger by making a slash laterally down the head behind the gill plate to the belly at about a 45 degree angle. Take your pliers and pull the skin off from the front to the tail...(retaining it to be used as sandpaper!!) Now you can filet very cleanly by finding that one long bone along the ribs..ending up with 2 nice firm slabs.

If you are in the boat and hungry to eat these right away...cut up the filets into bite-size peices, throw them into a zip-lock with lime juice, and your favorite ceviche add-ons...salsa, etc. Eat in about 15 minutes.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Bajaddict
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2005 at 07:17 AM
These two donors

made a tasty honeymoon feast for Bajagato and I. Guess who caught the larger one? I will give you a hint: :(
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-1-2005 at 07:59 AM
Bajaddict

Chris, can you email me? The u2u is still not usuable for me, thanks.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.