Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: San Juanico airport project , a natural disaster
surfinggrandpa71
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2021 at 07:24 PM
San Juanico airport project , a natural disaster

I’ve been asked to take this down by a mutual friend. So I will comply per their request
surfinggrandpa71
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2021 at 10:16 PM

Fred Borelli airport project , destruction of desert and no regard for townspeople and their health.

D220EFC9-8C74-4B04-A138-5F3AC9CFB599.jpeg - 126kB
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 3-14-2021 at 04:12 AM

I wanted to read this.
elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2021 at 07:10 AM

Why would you take it down? He is promoting the airport all over his hotel Facebook page.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-14-2021 at 07:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surfinggrandpa71  
Fred Borelli airport project , destruction of desert and no regard for townspeople and their health.

San juanico was ruined long ago,
Some people think it still needs more ruining,
So the they dreamed up a new ruining that would appeal to the citizens of orange county

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

surfinggrandpa71
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2021 at 08:06 AM

I was asked by my friend who lives there to remove, he was afraid it would cast bad light on the employees of Mr Borrelis hotel. The Borelli guy doesn’t care about nature, preservation or environmental pollution. He is a wanna be developer that spends 5 days a year in San Juanico
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2021 at 08:39 AM

when discussing environmental characteristics of san juanico let's no forget the raw sewage on the beach in front of town.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2021 at 08:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
when discussing environmental characteristics of san juanico let's no forget the raw sewage on the beach in front of town.

The best surf days end with diarrhea or inner ear infection!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2021 at 09:36 AM

I'm no soil engineer, but the soils in the area seen to be super porous. it would require a state of the art treatment plant to fix that.
Zola
Nomad

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 3-15-2021 at 12:12 AM

I would greatly appreciate further comments on these matters.

First, the raw sewage on the beach? Which beaches and what is the principal cause? Second point?, and lack of a septic system for the numerous campers there?

Second, has the airport construction really caused the increased dust storms? If so, do the airport developers have a specific plan to address this matter promptly and efficiently? How bad is the dust for the health of those in town?

Please do not take down this thread. It matters to those of us who live in the area....

[Edited on 3-15-2021 by Zola]

[Edited on 3-15-2021 by Zola]

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Dr. Seuss

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it. George Bernard Shaw
tecatero
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2021 at 05:33 AM

Wow.... I feel very sorry for the people in town. How is this going to be fixed? You can not water down the area that has been stripped of all the vegetation , outside of ocean water the town has very little water. Poor ,poor,poor, inconsiderate planning.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-15-2021 at 06:16 AM

Progress... it isn't easy or desired by everyone.
There was an airport at San Juanico. It was closed and that forced pilots to land at Cadeje, but that one was not always open. The military usually places tires across the runway to temporarily close it or they dig ditches across it to permanently close it.
With an open airport, medical aid can arrive quicker and more business can come to the town.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2021 at 08:03 AM

the runway dust is easily mitigated. in Alaska some sort of calcium mixture in put on dirt roads, runways and ramps. it binds the surface soil...problem solved. [environmentally friendly]
the sewage? way more complex. the town is on a sand bluff above the beach..
and as any plumber knows, sheet runs downhill. one solution would be to build a treatment plant inland and pump the sewage up to it. $$$
for those who are unfamiliar with that beach....trust me ,it's foul.
i shudder to think of the bacterial content of the water....and at one of bajas nicest beaches/surf break.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-15-2021 at 08:32 AM

the runway dust is easily mitigated. in Alaska some sort of calcium mixture in put on dirt roads, runways and ramps. it binds the surface soil...problem solved. [environmentally friendly]
and as any plumber knows, sheet runs downhill. one solution would be to build a treatment plant inland and pump the sewage up to it. $$$
i shudder to think of the bacterial content of the water....and at one of bajas nicest beaches/surf break.

Good ideas!

In 2017:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2021 at 08:43 AM

The surfers loved their point breaks to death. Crowds. Contaminated water.

Woke!

Zola
Nomad

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 3-15-2021 at 10:53 PM

Thank you for the comments and information!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Dr. Seuss

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it. George Bernard Shaw
aburruss
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2021 at 12:21 PM

Sorry I missed this discussion earlier. I'd be interested in seeing what's been progressing here.

Quote: Originally posted by tecatero  
Wow.... I feel very sorry for the people in town. How is this going to be fixed? You can not water down the area that has been stripped of all the vegetation , outside of ocean water the town has very little water. Poor ,poor,poor, inconsiderate planning.

tecatero, do you know what planning has been done in regards to water for the construction area? Have there been problems with dust? Is there anything other than an assumption that there's been poor planning.

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

So the they dreamed up a new ruining that would appeal to the citizens of orange county

mtgoat666, looking at the website that's promoting the airport, it seems like they are gearing this towards people who have an interest in the community, not just ANY random OC people that want to fly in for a weekend.

From their website:

All members must show that they have an interest in the sustainable future of the community of San Juanico by participating in community development infrastructure and services:

• Buying property or owning, operating, or buying a business.
  • Building a hangar.
  • Contributing to the medical clinic via in-kind or ad hoc support or
    medical/health services or training.
  • Sustainable training methods for the local fishing cooperative.
  • Assisting in local education or creating vocational training for local youth (e.g. plumbing, electrical, carpentry, etc.)"

It also looks like a limited number of people can actually use the airport:

• A Member of the SB Airport
  • A politician or CFE representative collaborating with the local council or ejido.
  • An educator working with local schools.
  • A NGO representative or associated volunteer as part of a ‘giving back’ or
    humanitarian effort.
  • A doctor or other medical service professional with a special permit.
  • Health emergencies.

I understand that there's probably a lot of people that want things to remain "the way they've been", and there's a lot of people that want to keep the "bad roads/good people" for their own neighborhood. I feel like people just need something to complain about.

However, from what I see about this project, it SEEMS like it's going to be a benefit for those in the community.

I'm thinking this will bring a lot of jobs, opportunity and money for the residents of this small town. Things don't stay the same forever. Change isn't necessarily bad.

But if there *IS* something bad going on, a negative impact to the community, etc... why not bring it up (WITH details, suggestions, proposals, etc), and see if there can't be a change brought about? I'm sure Mr. Borrelli doesn't want the community to hate him. (As a businessman, he depends on the community and reputation for his business (hotel, airport, etc).. if everyone is peeed, he'll get no business)

Unless the complaint just an emotional "I don't wan't an airport" complaint... then you're just being resistant to change.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2021 at 08:56 PM

They should build it a tad further outside of town. In 20 years that airport will be surrounded by homes.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2021 at 09:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by aburruss  
Sorry I missed this discussion earlier. I'd be interested in seeing what's been progressing here.

Quote: Originally posted by tecatero  

tecatero, do you know what planning has been done in regards to water for the construction area? Have there been problems with dust? Is there anything other than an assumption that there's been poor planning.

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

mtgoat666, looking at the website that's promoting the airport, it seems like they are gearing this towards people who have an interest in the community, not just ANY random OC people that want to fly in for a weekend.

From their website:

All members must show that they have an interest in the sustainable future of the community of San Juanico by participating in community development infrastructure and services:

• Buying property or owning, operating, or buying a business.
  • Building a hangar.
  • Contributing to the medical clinic via in-kind or ad hoc support or
    medical/health services or training.
  • Sustainable training methods for the local fishing cooperative.
  • Assisting in local education or creating vocational training for local youth (e.g. plumbing, electrical, carpentry, etc.)"

It also looks like a limited number of people can actually use the airport:

• A Member of the SB Airport
  • A politician or CFE representative collaborating with the local council or ejido.
  • An educator working with local schools.
  • A NGO representative or associated volunteer as part of a ‘giving back’ or
    humanitarian effort.
  • A doctor or other medical service professional with a special permit.
  • Health emergencies.

Sort of sounds elitist to build an airport just for a private club, only allowing wealthy outsiders that can afford to donate time and expenses to particular activities. I hope that the private airport club does not expect “free” government services like police/military protection of the expensive private aircraft of gringo club members ;D;D

Woke!

aburruss
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2021 at 10:21 PM

Sounds sort of elitist to build a house in San Juanico, only allowing their friends in for the BBQ they want to have. I hope that the guy building his house doesn't expect any free government services to protect his home.

OR.. how elitist to go eat at a restaurant in San Juanico??!? You're expecting that someone else maintain the dirt road you use to get there! ALSO, only the wealthy people can afford to eat out, rather than cooking rice and beans at home.

I'd argue that someone building a house, only allowing their friends in might even be MORE elitist than this endeavor, since there's no expectation of ANY contribution to the community for the guy building the house. At least the airport has SOME stipulations.

Where do you draw the line on what is elitist, and what is just someone living their life the way they want to? How in the world is it a bad thing that people can "afford to donate time and expenses to particular activity"??? That's crazy! Why is that looked at as elitist? If someone can't donate time and expenses, it doesn't mean that's a bad thing! People enjoy being hospitable, generous, and giving. Some can give a lot, some can give a little. It's all good!

I like look at this as a "glass half full" and hope that there is a benefit to the community, as it's presented... and then if/when it DOESN'T happen, then we nay-say and nitpick.

I prefer to be positive, look for the best in people, situations, and opportunities, and wait for people to succeed for fail... rather than just assuming that the people are going to be bad. When it's time to call them out, we ABSOLUTELY SHOULD do so.. but I think it's a horrible attitude to just expect everyone is going to fail from the get-go.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.