Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Help needed recovering my motorcycle
missadventuring

[*] posted on 3-17-2021 at 11:45 AM
Help needed recovering my motorcycle

A favor? My Kawasaki KLR650 was just recovered (long dramatic story!) and is in a friend’s garage south of Mulege on MEX 1 at KM 112.

They're leaving on March 23, so it would need to be before March 22nd.

I need it trailered to San Jose, CA, or San Diego, or even Ensenada would work.

Are you or do you know know of a tour company who might be running north, or someone with a truck and trailer or RV?

Eternal gratitude!

Carla

[Edited on 3-17-2021 by missadventuring]

fishhead
Nomad

Mood: upbeat

[*] posted on 3-17-2021 at 11:58 AM
moto

I can store it in Mulege until I leave at end of May or early June. I cannot transport North.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-17-2021 at 12:18 PM

Hola Miss,
You may need to retrieve it yourself....unless "transporter" has documentation explaining reason non-owner has possession....USA border may ask for that.

One trip I had a friend's bike as well as mine....US border gave me the gears but let me into US after lengthy explanations and some photos from trip.

Hope it works out....the Mulege storage offer gives you time to make a plan. Bueno suerte. :coolup:

Don't believe everything you think....
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2021 at 12:32 PM

Dear Misadventuring,
I'm sure the thought never crossed your mind, but from a first time poster, some members here might look at this request as an attempt to recruit help in stealing a motorcycle out of Mexico and getting it across the border, with no risk to the culprit, hanging the good Samaritan out to twist in the winds of the Mexican legal system.

why not head down there yourself and ride or trailer it home?
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2021 at 01:00 PM

if i was hatching a plan to steal a motorbike and cross an international border i would choose something other than a KLR.......perhaps a velocette KSS.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2021 at 01:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

......perhaps a velocette KSS.

Yep....no doohickey issues...and it won't take an afternoon to pass anyone....

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2021 at 02:04 PM

It appears that the OP has 10 previous posts....:light:

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 3-17-2021 at 03:50 PM

bajapowerhouse.com or get them on fb. They can at least get it to their shop in Ensenada. Great guys.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-17-2021 at 04:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
It appears that the OP has 10 previous posts....:light:

And just slightly more credibility than the guy who is insinuating she might be a crook. :lol:

The OP has been a member of this group for over seven years!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2021 at 04:09 PM

i would guess many semi trucks going north on hwy 1 would be glad to put the moto on the load for a reasonable fee. every Mexican trucker i have chatted with was a friendly and reasonable guy. tj is full of freight forwarder warehouses.
good luck.
missadventuring

[*] posted on 3-17-2021 at 04:20 PM

Thank you! If I was there with the bike I guess I could put my thumb out :biggrin:
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2021 at 07:19 PM

right 7 years, 10 posts, obviously a very active member. Her website shows her in front of a private jet, leaning against a KTM - but now she can't find the time or resources to go rescue her own bike?

never said she was a crook, I simply pointed out the potential risks a good samaratan might expose themselves too. very interesting that all you defender heros - and not a single one of you offer to help, instead choosing to attack me for pointing out some potential risks - way to go guys!
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2021 at 07:39 PM

Might try Chris Haines or some of the other San Diego based companies, often they have a trail for/with extra bikes. They helped a friend after a crash in BOLA two years ago, they went above and beyond.
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2021 at 09:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by missadventuring  
A favor? My Kawasaki KLR650 was just recovered (long dramatic story!) and is in a friend’s garage south of Mulege on MEX 1 at KM 112.

I think @missadventuring has to tell the story of the "long dramatic story" in order to gain credibility, then let those that may extend a helping hand decide whether to give a hand or not based on the facts of the story. Otherwise, it's a "trust me, the check's in the mail" story.
Ged has a valid point... there's no way in hell would a border agent let that bike into the USA without the registered owner present.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2021 at 09:39 PM

Same story reported here before???
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 3-18-2021 at 11:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by KasloKid  

I think @missadventuring has to tell the story of the "long dramatic story" in order to gain credibility, then let those that may extend a helping hand decide whether to give a hand or not based on the facts of the story. Otherwise, it's a "trust me, the check's in the mail" story.
Ged has a valid point... there's no way in hell would a border agent let that bike into the USA without the registered owner present.

That is not my experience. I transported a friend's bike for him and he provided a notarized letter saying that I had his permission to carry the bike. The letter included VIN and plate #'s as well as a photo copy of his DL and registration. A quick look and I was waved through.
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2021 at 12:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  
Quote: Originally posted by KasloKid  

That is not my experience. I transported a friend's bike for him and he provided a notarized letter saying that I had his permission to carry the bike. The letter included VIN and plate #'s as well as a photo copy of his DL and registration. A quick look and I was waved through.

You're right if a notarized letter etc. is provided. I'm referring to this particular case where time is of the essence (allegedly) and getting these documents to the transporters hands in time to transport the bike is practically impossible.

I could be very wrong with my suspicions in the non-facts provided in regards to the request, but in my mind, what's provided doesn't quite pass the smell test just yet. She hasn't responded to the questions put forward by caj13 in direct reference to suspicions.

If I was passing through Mulege with my empty truck, I'd have a dozen questions to ask not only the owner of the house at KM 112 (Posada Conception), but questions to Carla as well, including emailed proof of ownership and insurance, who in Ensenada would store it, what relationship is that person to her, etc. etc. before loading it. I'd want to make dam sure I wasn't the one to be left twisting in the wind.

If it's legit, then I wish her the best in solving her storage/transport dilemma.

[Edited on 3-18-2021 by KasloKid]
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2021 at 12:03 PM

Looks like she has someone that is going to take care of it for her, I saw something about it on FB. Looks as simple as a broken bike that needed to be hauled back. Easy for that to happen in Baja.

[Edited on 3-18-2021 by advrider]
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2021 at 12:06 PM

i have crossed northbound a load of times with a truck full of motorbikes and have never been asked for paperwork of any type.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2021 at 12:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
i have crossed northbound a load of times with a truck full of motorbikes and have never been asked for paperwork of any type.

I agree. Southbound is checked fairly consistently. Northbound not so much.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.