BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Best Place In San Diego to exchange Money
smithfamilybajabound

[*] posted on 3-20-2021 at 10:50 AM
Best Place In San Diego to exchange Money

I would like to get the best exchange to convert US dollars to Pesos. Should I convert money at bank (Wells Fargo) or find a place in San Diego or San Ysidro? Please give me some options please.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-20-2021 at 11:32 AM

Check Costco, some of them are set up for exchanging currency. I have no idea what rate they use.

I exchanged dollars for pesos at a Walmart in Calexico last year.

Edit; Looking online, I can find nothing about Costco exchanging currency, but I thought they did. Anybody else know for sure?

[Edited on 3-20-2021 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 3-20-2021 at 11:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by smithfamilybajabound  
I would like to get the best exchange to convert US dollars to Pesos. Should I convert money at bank (Wells Fargo) or find a place in San Diego or San Ysidro? Please give me some options please.

Sometimes the "best" includes things such as the value in/of convenience and safety - or the perception of such things. Over time everyone has a different opinion that includes these factors.

I believe the best in considering the net exchange rate only (and perhaps only incrementally) are certain high-volume "no commission" (no comision) money exchanges in San Ysidro, especially mid-week (slightly less so on weekends).

Curious to know of any other resources others might mention.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2021 at 11:42 AM

this doesn't answer your question but I'd just hit bank ATM in mexico, just remember to decline the banks conversion and let your bank know you'll be in mex..
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-20-2021 at 11:49 AM

https://www.baja-mex.com/contact/san-ysidro.htm

last exit before you cross
drive up to the window and exchange
rate is the same as bancomer daily rate

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2021 at 12:01 PM

Some years ago at the suggestion of someone on this board we opened a checking account with Charles Schwab. They cover transaction fees on any foreign ATM and we have taken advantage of that on numerous trips to Baja and other parts of the world. Once we cross the border we try and find a bank with an ATM or an OXXO if your lucky. The wife and I both have a card on same account so take out max so we are set for awhile. Our route south almost always starts in TJ and there are ATMs at toll booths, gas stations and the rare OXXO if you can find one. We keep US dollars in small denominations as backup if we run out or ATM issues but use pesos for most all large purchases and the occasional credit card if staying in hotel. As stated decline the bank conversion when it pops up on ATM screen.

YMMV

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 3-20-2021 at 12:04 PM

The Peso has fluctuated a bit lately! Doing work paid for in Pesos can involve risks. Lately I have noticed that the ATMs in Mexico have been giving the exchange rate when you withdraw money. The rate yesterday was 20.3 as a low for the day and today it’s been as high as 20.5. The bank ATM at BankNorte gave a much lower rate of 19.17 to the dollar yesterday morning!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-20-2021 at 12:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by smithfamilybajabound  

I always use Baja-Mex on E San Ysidro Blvd (couple blocks E of I-5, S side of street). Rate seems to be competitive (you can see the rates posted as you drive around past the many exchanges in San Ysidro).

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2021 at 05:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
The rate yesterday was 20.3 as a low for the day and today it’s been as high as 20.5

Checked ABC money exchange, San Ysidro blvd., yesterday
giving 20.10 to the dll., I always believed the atm's to be better
than the casas de cambios, doesn't APPEAR to be a lot different.
This quote seems to be the opposite. As previously posted, some/most Mex atm's give the card holder the option
to decline the machines rate, and have it done by one's bank,
which generally is somewhat higher rate

winnebago 2

[*] posted on 3-20-2021 at 05:31 PM

Costco Chula Vista. The exchange house is inside the Costco.
Easy, fast, and SAFE. Good rates. Open during Costco hours.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2021 at 08:46 PM

I didn’t know that you could decline the quoted rate which is really low. I just read that you can here. Ill try and see what happens.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-20-2021 at 09:14 PM

I didn’t know that you could decline the quoted rate which is really low. I just read that you can here. Ill try and see what happens.

It depends on what the bank issuing your card charges to convert the currency. I have a card through an Edward Jones account, that is way cheaper than using the ATM rate. I don't think the difference was as great if I used my Wells Fargo account.

If the ATM is an HSBC machine, you definitely want to decline their rate! Other banks, I am not so sure how much difference it makes.

[Edited on 3-21-2021 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2021 at 09:44 PM

Bank Norte is the cheapest we have a BofA commercial account. They have good rates. I’ll give it a try Monday.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2021 at 07:07 AM

Exactly what winnebago 2 said.

I use the costco in chula vista when I am by myself. Being inside, I feel so safe.

Les always used the ATM located to the right after the last toll booth heading into Ensenada.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajagregg
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2021 at 09:11 PM

Baja-Mex on San Ysidro Blvd. is the place to go on the US side.

Traveling Baja for 50 years.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2021 at 07:34 AM

If you are getting your FMM, grab some money at one of the atm machines there. We normally stop in Ensenada and get money from an atm there. Now that most places accept credit cards, we don't carry much cash.

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2021 at 02:08 PM

So today a Banco Norte the exchange rate was 19.05/$ When the “accept exchange rate” notice came up I declined it. Upon checking my US account the effective exchange rate was 20.43/$ including the fee. Today’s official rate was 20.60/$

That’s quite a difference!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-23-2021 at 03:16 PM

So today a Banco Norte the exchange rate was 19.05/$ When the “accept exchange rate” notice came up I declined it. Upon checking my US account the effective exchange rate was 20.43/$ including the fee. Today’s official rate was 20.60/$

That’s quite a difference!

That rate is about what is listed online today.
https://www.eldolar.info/en/mexico/dia/hoy

1 Dollar = 20.642 Pesos
⇧ 0.1401 0.68%
Buy
Sell

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2021 at 07:27 PM

Goat,

Yes, the point was that the Capitalist Users at Banco Norte were only offering 19.05/$ at the ATM! That’s almost $40 US less or more depending who’s pocket it’s going to!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.