BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Anyone know some cool, small towns inland in Northern California?
jamiec
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2021 at 08:38 AM

88 really is the only way back over to 395 right now without going the Tahoe route. 4 is closed for the winter, as are 108 and 120.

I know a couple of people have mentioned Murphys but it really is a nice little town especially if you or anyone you are traveling with likes wine tasting. I also really like the Calaveras Big Trees just up the road from there. Mercer Caverns are also in Murphys and they are a cool way to spend the afternoon if they are open right now.

advrider mentioned Sutter Creek, agree with this. There is a really good pizza place in Sutter Creek that we always stop at when we are in this area. I believe its called Gold Dust.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-29-2021 at 08:58 AM

There is still quite a lot of scenic road north of Nevada City on 49! There are three more rivers going toward Downieville and Sierra City before the road heads east to highway 89, just north of Truckee.

I know you drove part of 89 around Tahoe last year, so passing through Reno and Carson City on the way back to 395 would be an option.

For what it is worth, a staple of the mining country was the 'pasty'. It is meat and potatoes wrapped in a pie crust and baked. If you see a restaurant that serves them, don't pass it up!

They are at their best right out of the oven, but you can take them to go and they are even good cold if you get hungry before you can re-heat them.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2021 at 09:59 AM

You are correct, Gold dust pizza is the best around. If you go over 88 you can stop and ski at Kirkwood or do some snow shoeing in the meadow, they have rentals. Also snowmobile rentals off of Blue lakes road in Hope valley. We have a summer cabin at Kirkwood so I might be a little biased? All good suggestions by everyone, none of these areas will disappoint. Might even drive through death valley to catch 395, good time of the year for that area.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2021 at 08:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Bakersfield has been the home of some of America's finest:
Buck Owens of HeeHaw,
Rick & Roger Mears and the Mears Gang (Baja to Indy Racing),
and our very own TMW of Oildale University fame!

You forgot Merle Haggard, Frank Gifford, and Bill Destafani of Air Racing Fame.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-30-2021 at 10:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Bakersfield has been the home of some of America's finest:
Buck Owens of HeeHaw,
Rick & Roger Mears and the Mears Gang (Baja to Indy Racing),
and our very own TMW of Oildale University fame!

Mears? Who dat?
Buck Owens? Prefer Merle haggard.
Lawrence Tibbbett!
Earl Warren!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 3-31-2021 at 10:11 AM
OK, Recess is over, all you children go back to class

Sheesh,
Some people sure know how to take an interesting thread into the dumpster
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-31-2021 at 11:13 AM

Try a map they are often helpful..I am sure if you asked someone would help you fold it back up....
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2021 at 09:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Sheesh,
Some people sure know how to take an interesting thread into the dumpster

Just got up to Oakhurst. Will post some pics tomorrow.

It's my 5 month old pup's first road trip.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 4-1-2021 at 01:49 PM

Pup looks like a handsome dude, for sure

Swing through Yosemite- you are so close
And the waterfalls are at their best right now.
Plus very few visitors.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2021 at 11:51 PM

Found a dirt road to drive down through the forest. Let the dogs run around.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2021 at 12:23 AM

This has been my favorite spot/part so far: 37.613185° -120.127245°

About an hour above Oakhurst on the way to Plymounth (Plymounth is just pass AdvRider's place at Sutter Creek).

Crazy switch backs for about 20 mins. The mountains had really pretty orange flowers on them. I was kicking myself for not charging the drone batteries. It's spectacular.

Near the end you cross a river. Just before the bridge there is a very small primitive camp ground about 2-3 miles off 49. Drove back in there to let the dogs out.

Close to where we stopped was a Cowboy with a cage in the back of his truck. He wasn't camping and I thought that was odd, but had to walk by him to get down to the river.

Got a little closer and two dogs I didn't notice from further away went absolutely nuts.

Spent about 20 mins down by the river and walked back up to the truck, by the cowboy. He chatted me up on the way back. He said his dogs thought "the big one was a mountain lion." Referring to my oldest dog, Huck.

Turns out they were Anatolian Shepherds. The best cattle guarding dogs in the world. He has 7 of them.

Pic in front of the river. Huck and Miki are looking up at the shepherds.

[Edited on 4-3-2021 by JZ]

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-3-2021 at 07:59 AM
Orange flowers

That is our state flower, the California poppy. They can be pretty spectacular this time of year!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2021 at 11:50 AM

Check out :
Ferndale and the Lost Coast & Usal Beach

[Edited on 4-5-2021 by BajaNomad]
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2021 at 08:55 PM

Crossed over from West to East today. Stopped by Kirkwood. It was packed. Lots of families skiing. 52 degrees, sunshine, and still a lot of snow. Ppl were tailgating in their trucks looking up at the mountain. Very pretty drive across.

Booked a cabin about 50 miles above Mammoth. Very cool stream running by that the dogs got in. Going to hit up Bodie in the AM.

[Edited on 4-5-2021 by JZ]

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2021 at 11:36 AM

WEED CA. gateway to Mt. Shasta is a cool town

Es Todo Bueno
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-5-2021 at 12:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
WEED CA. gateway to Mt. Shasta is a cool town

As is Westport....great twisty hiway to Leggett....and then the Lost coast loop

Don't believe everything you think....
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2021 at 05:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
C Going to hit up Bodie in the AM.

I drove out to Bodie probably 15 years ago, very interesting place. There are some other old mining towns out there (Aurora, NV) and some great dirt roads for exploring. Obsidian Dome just north of Mammoth is worth the short drive, it's where the native Americans procured obsidian for use and trade with other tribes.

Don't miss the Laws Railroad Museum in Bishop, and the petroglyphs. One of the main petroglyph sites is north a few miles on Hwy 6. You can take a dirt road (Fish Slough Road) all the way back south and pass a couple more petroglyph sites. A very cool experience, especially when you realize that so much more water flowed back then. Lots of rocks show signs of water flow erosion. Very strange in such a (now) high desert setting.

If you want to see a couple cool petroglyphs that few ever see, there is Sky Rock and 13 Moon petroglyphs above Chalk Bluff Road just east of the campground. It's a steep hike up the bluff, but once on top it's fairly flat.

So much history in that area. On your way south, look for Aberdeen and go east. You can see the original diversion dam (1913) for the Los Angeles Aqueduct where the Owens River gets sent to Los Angeles.

Fossil Falls down south by Little Lake is also just a short drive, another unique site where water once flowed and ancient tribes flourished.

Have fun, drive safely on 395, it can be a dangerous road.

John

[Edited on 4-7-2021 by John Harper]
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2021 at 06:59 AM

I hike and fish that river all the time. Our cabin was about 500 yards up the hill from where you entered Kirkwood ski resort, we spend summers up there, even more so when the snow melts..
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2021 at 08:20 AM

Benton Hotsprings, out of Benton HS, hike up to Montgomery City - a flash flood destroyed the mining town that was once there. Nice hike. Check out the "beach" at Oh Ridge campground (access for day use is free - might be renting kayaks by now); Ancient Bristlecone Pine forest; Alabama Hills movie set tour in Lone Pine.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.