Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bancomer ATM trick
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 3-30-2021 at 05:20 PM
Bancomer ATM trick

I have not tried this trick yet but my good friend In Pescadero swears it works and does it all the time. I will have an opportunity to try it in the next few days.

When you get to the final screen where it says do you agree to this exchange rate, decline it. You will be presented with a new screen that shows a more favorable exchange rate.

I will update when I try it. Not sure if it works at other ATM's.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 3-30-2021 at 05:22 PM

all banks do that, always decline!

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 3-30-2021 at 05:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

I did not know this Don Pisto. I did a cursory search here but did not see it mentioned. Glad to hear all ATMs do this.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2021 at 05:33 PM

As Don Pisto said, always decline! Cash will dispense as normal and your rate will be much higher than they tried to get you to agree too.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-30-2021 at 06:07 PM

I don't remember the exact exchange rate at the time, but about a year ago I withdrew ten thousand pesos at the ATM in the La Paz Walmart. I declined the conversion rate shown by HSBC.

The machine spit out the cash, and by letting my own bank do the conversion I saved about $60 US! The Bancomer ATM right next to it seemed to always be out of order.

The topic was discussed briefly in this thread recently; http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=95821&got...

[Edited on 3-31-2021 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2021 at 06:39 PM

Yes, it will give you your bank's exchange rate. A few of the banks are trying to scam people by shorting them on the exchange rate.

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 3-30-2021 at 09:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

Not all but what they do is try to suck you in with a slightly higher exchange rate which is eaten up and then some with the 5 or 6% commission. Take a picture of the screen and decline, always decline, and then go check the rate online for the withdrawal you just made at your bank , always more money in your pocket.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2021 at 10:51 AM

Yesterday, a Santander ATM at Smart and Final in Ensenada, showed the "Decline the Conversion" button on the screen, but would not accept it and would not proceed until I pressed "Accept the Conversion".

Kind of a "We'll give you the option, but...not really"
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2021 at 12:04 PM

Wow, I did not know this.

I don't even remember the option. Will look more closely next time.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 3-31-2021 at 01:01 PM

its called "dynamic currency conversion" clever scam and not just in mexico, its world wide:(
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-31-2021 at 02:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
its called "dynamic currency conversion" clever scam and not just in mexico, its world wide:(

I remember it showing up in Europe about five years ago. But it just started in the ATMs that I use in Mexico, this year.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.