Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Northbound with 10' trailer
1bobo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2021 at 06:46 AM
Northbound with 10' trailer

Anyone have an opinion about the easiest crossing with a cargo trailer, Mexicali east or west? will need to cross northbound around 6 P.M. Thanks
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2021 at 06:50 AM

East is required, but closes at 2PM
I think San Luis is open later.
Better check with CBP for the latest rules.
Last time I got trapped with the 2PM closing I had to get a hotel and cross the next morning.

[Edited on 4-7-2021 by PaulW]
1bobo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2021 at 09:22 AM

Thanks, Paul. I could find nothing on line regarding trailer restrictions at any crossing. I guess they like to surprise us?
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2021 at 10:10 AM

You are correct I cannot find any official guidance for RV or trailer crossing northbound for any crossing. Good luck.
Remember you will want to avoid Sentri/Ready when you have a large trailer.

Mexicali East: Use the right RV standard lane 6AM to 2PM Possible change in hours after 4/21 2021. I do it all the time - recommended.

Tecate: I have gone thru with a 16 Foot trailer Very tight. Use the right lane. Check for the latest hours that have recently changed.

San Ysidero Use the left RV lane. Check the hours

Mexicali West: It is a state of turmoil. Not recommended. Apparently they allow trailers and RVs? late in the day expect a long day once you find the street to use. Find a better option. Or at least get a fresh report from this week. No info found for an RV lane

San Luis: should work Use the left lane for trailers and RVs. Easy drive from Hwy 5 to San Luis

Algodones/Andrade: Trailer is possible. I see CBP opening an unused left lane for a trailer. Wont work for an RV due to dimensions. Same hours as Mexicali east.

Here is from a local newspaper

CALEXICO — U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials at the Calexico ports of entry are advising travelers in recreational vehicles and vehicles towing trailers to enter the United States from Mexico through the Calexico East port of entry.

Inspections of RVs and trailers at the east port is a more efficient process therefore reducing wait times to enter the U.S. as well as avoids the congested downtown areas of Mexicali and Calexico.

The Calexico East border crossing hours of operation are from 3 a.m. until midnight Monday through Friday, and 6 a.m. until midnight on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.

Visit the CBP website at www.cbp.gov for additional information on what to expect when entering the U.S. at a port of entry, document requirements and prohibited or restricted items. Travelers can also tune their radios to 1610 AM for hourly wait times and other border-crossing information.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.