Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hotel recommendations/experiences in Mexicali
scotinexcile
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2021 at 09:42 AM
Hotel recommendations/experiences in Mexicali

Any recommendations/experiences with hotels close to the 5 highway South bound in Mexicali?

We are planning on crossing Calexico West, 14th April late evening and getting a hotel as close to the crossing as we can. Sleep for a few hours then continue South to Bahia Asension on the 15th

Thanks to everyone for all the advice so far
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 4-8-2021 at 10:04 AM

I don't know Mexicali, am crossing southbound first time at Mexicali West mid May (I usually overnight in San Diego and cross San Ysidro) - I am staying in El Centro. Seems a little safer for vehicle overnight. If anyone knows different, let me know.
Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2021 at 10:10 AM

I've been staying that the Hotel Regis on my trips north and south, from and to Asuncion. In fact, I may be there the same night. Rooms are small, but clean and well maintained and the parking is secure. They have always had a sign up with the price of 730 pesos per night while their advertised rate is around 850. Google Maps will guide you right to it. Head south a few lights and a couple roundabouts and you are on the 5 from the hotel.
scotinexcile
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2021 at 10:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Rossman  
I've been staying that the Hotel Regis on my trips north and south, from and to Asuncion. In fact, I may be there the same night. Rooms are small, but clean and well maintained and the parking is secure. They have always had a sign up with the price of 730 pesos per night while their advertised rate is around 850. Google Maps will guide you right to it. Head south a few lights and a couple roundabouts and you are on the 5 from the hotel.

Do you book ahead or just turn up?
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
4-8-2021 at 11:07 AM
Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2021 at 01:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by scotinexcile  

I have never booked ahead in my 5 stays there. My last stay was Thursday through Saturday nights, the week end before Semana Santa and the parking lot was packed on Friday and Saturday so if I was arriving on a week end, I would probably try to make reservations.
scotinexcile
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2021 at 02:57 PM

I have never booked ahead in my 5 stays there. My last stay was Thursday through Saturday nights, the week end before Semana Santa and the parking lot was packed on Friday and Saturday so if I was arriving on a week end, I would probably try to make reservations.

Thank you for the experiences :)
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2021 at 07:54 PM

Real Inn
Upper quality, good safe parking but in the $80/night range
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2021 at 04:55 AM

I like "Holiday Inn Express and Suites". Close to the east gate. It's located in a nice outdoor shopping mall with some good restaurants. Clean rooms. Has normal outdoor hotel type parking lot with camera surveillance. It's in a nice neighborhood and parking seems pretty secure/safe. Good complimentary breakfast. Cost normally runs just under $2000 pesos/night.
scotinexcile
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2021 at 08:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BigWooo  
I like "Holiday Inn Express and Suites". Close to the east gate. It's located in a nice outdoor shopping mall with some good restaurants. Clean rooms. Has normal outdoor hotel type parking lot with camera surveillance. It's in a nice neighborhood and parking seems pretty secure/safe. Good complimentary breakfast. Cost normally runs just under $2000 pesos/night.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. We are heading through the West gate this time but will keep your advice in mind for next time :)
scotinexcile
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2021 at 08:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
Real Inn

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated :D
scotinexcile
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2021 at 10:31 AM

Real Inn

Booked through Orbitz for Wednesday night. Hopefully, late check-in won't be a problem, no reply to a direct email or submitting the form on their website.

Any last-minute tips for the journey? :)
bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 4-12-2021 at 03:39 PM

Real Inn

Booked through Orbitz for Wednesday night. Hopefully, late check-in won't be a problem, no reply to a direct email or submitting the form on their website.

Any last-minute tips for the journey? :)

Give us a report after you get to your destination so the rest of us travelers know whats up (I'm crossing Mex.West on 4/18). Have a safe trip, I know you're in a hurry but try to drive at a reasonable speed limit, there are speed traps.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2021 at 09:44 AM

Sunday PM. Expect a very long wait for west crossing. The surge starts around 2PM and lasts until after dark. Until the east crossing extends their hours the situation at the west will have the PM surge every day.
bajafreaks
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2021 at 01:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Sunday PM. Expect a very long wait for west crossing. The surge starts around 2PM and lasts until after dark. Until the east crossing extends their hours the situation at the west will have the PM surge every day.

I'm assuming you are referring to North bound ?
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2021 at 01:41 PM

Nope Southbound - Saturday about 4pm we arrived at Calexico and found the huge line that extended a long way west on Hwy 98. The driving lane was stop and go and the shoulder was the same. I guess later would mean the line would get shorter?
Rather than compete for a place in line or wait we just drove to El Centro and got a hotel. The next morning we drove thru with no wait. Because our drive thru Mexicali on Sunday the traffic was light.
The surge is cause by the closed east crossing at 3PM and the Mexicans are heading back to Mexico.
My original report was a while ago, but I have heard the situation has not changed.
Good luck
PS, I hate the west crossing. Both north and south bound are all screwed up. I have done 3 more round trips and have scheduled to use the east crossing and have had no issues. 6AM to 3PM hours
scotinexcile
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2021 at 01:53 PM

Nope Southbound - Saturday about 4pm we arrived at Calexico and found the huge line that extended a long way west on Hwy 98. The driving lane was stop and go and the shoulder was the same. I guess later would mean the line would get shorter?
Rather than compete for a place in line or wait we just drove to El Centro and got a hotel. The next morning we drove thru with no wait. Because our drive thru Mexicali on Sunday the traffic was light.
The surge is cause by the closed east crossing at 3PM and the Mexicans are heading back to Mexico.
My original report was a while ago, but I have heard the situation has not changed.
Good luck
PS, I hate the west crossing. Both north and south bound are all screwed up. I have done 3 more round trips and have scheduled to use the east crossing and have had no issues. 6AM to 3PM hours

We appreciate your experience and insight. We will update the group with our experiences. Cant wait to get to the beach :bounce:
bajafreaks
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2021 at 02:06 PM

Good luck

Yes thanks for the input.
We always go (west) early morning, probably crossing around 8:00am and have never waited too long. Although this will be our first time crossing back north through Mexicali (usually go Tecate) I've been told east is better than west as long as you get there by mid morning (crossing back mid week).
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2021 at 03:09 PM

East - in line standard at 5:30 In the US at 6:30.

At 6AM that standard line is very long and goes all the way to the airport road which makes a U turn difficult. The sentri line is also long from the west at that time. All lines move quickly after 6AM.
Later in the AM is a good plan
I was told that east at 3PM still had a long lines and folks had to go back south until the next day or go west. I wont be testing that comment.
scotinexcile
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2021 at 02:28 PM

Mexicali West Southbound around 9pm Wednesday evening, straight through with no wait at all. Maybe 15 min including the whole visa process. Stayed at the Hotel Regis, bed was small but worked for a decent sleep. Water pressure in the shower was weak at best :)

Left around 6am Thursday and had a good drive all the way down to Bahía Asunción

Had a great few days exploring around the town and along the coast.

Left Sunday morning around 6am local time and had a great drive to San Felipe. The crowd from the race was getting ready to leave so it took a bit of time to get through the town. We got a decent run to Mexicali arriving around 1pm local time.

We had hoped to get through before the "surge" mentioned above but no such luck. We got stuck for over 5 hours :( Managed to drive to Victorville by 9.30pm and got a hotel for the night. Left early Monday and got back into Reno around 1pm

Enjoyed out trip but the wait at the border really put us off driving into and out off Baja. Bahía Asunción is very quiet, no bars to go have a drink and only a couple of places to go out to dinner. Not sure it is the place for us :)

Big shout out to Shari Lynn Bondy at La Bufadora Inn for being a great host and showing us around. Thank you also to Liz and Bill for showing us their home, we wish them the best with the sale.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.