BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Baja Troubles (at Cantamar).
hedley

[*] posted on 4-10-2021 at 10:25 AM
Baja Troubles (at Cantamar).

flipboard.com/topic/bajacaliforniapeninsula/trouble-in-paradise-americans-say-they-ve-lost-access-to-their-baja-resort-home/f-dee6c3d738%2Fsandiegouni ontribune.com

[Edited on 4-13-2021 by BajaNomad]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-10-2021 at 11:13 AM
In Cantamar

This looks like the same article: https://www-sandiegouniontribune-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2021 at 05:40 PM

Makes renting look better and better!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2021 at 05:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  

Just don't build on leased land.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-10-2021 at 06:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Better to rent.
The govts in baja have little interest in administering fair or reliable real estate law.
Leases and property title are worthless pieces of paper, often not honored, and the litigation/courts are a chit show.
If ownership is your thing, stick to buying is USA or a country where legal system of property ownership is fair and predictable.
Renting is great, you can pack up and go when things start to go to hell in a hand basket :light:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2021 at 07:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Better to rent.
The govts in baja have little interest in administering fair or reliable real estate law.
Leases and property title are worthless pieces of paper, often not honored, and the litigation/courts are a chit show.
If ownership is your thing, stick to buying is USA or a country where legal system of property ownership is fair and predictable.
Renting is great, you can pack up and go when things start to go to hell in a hand basket :light:

Those who say renting is better just don`t have any idea about buying a home in Mexico. To lazy to make their homework! Buying or constructing a home is as safe as in the U.S. Just do your homework. But those who are coming to Baja once a year for two weeks are pretending to know everything. Badmouthing Baja - or Mexico in general- without having the necessary knowledge about buying or constructing a home. We just had the thread here in Nomad about building on leased land and adding new parts to a house which is not yours. In one word: Stupid is who stupid does.
baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2021 at 08:00 PM

I agree with JC43
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2021 at 08:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by baja Steve  
I agree with JC43

It’s all fun and games until chit hits the fan and y’all realize you got robbed.
Some win, some don’t.
At least in USA, people can’t plain rob you of your property, and you have real title reports, and real title insurance. In Mexico, even a well-researched, seemingly secure property, can be flocked up by just one crazy flock dishonest flock relative waging a legal war for some 20-year-old title transfer, some ancient deceased person, whatever, your property is never safe if someone sets their eyes on robbing you with some bullchit story about their grandpa 30 years ago... and gringos are flocked from word go in the courts.

[Edited on 4-11-2021 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2021 at 08:47 PM

It’s all fun and games until chit hits the fan and y’all realize you got robbed.
Some win, some don’t.
At least in USA, people can’t plain rob you of your property, and you have real title reports, and real title insurance. In Mexico, even a well-researched, seemingly secure property, can be flocked up by just one crazy flock dishonest flock relative waging a legal war for some 20-year-old title transfer, some ancient deceased person, whatever, your property is never safe if someone sets their eyes on robbing you with some bullchit story about their grandpa 30 years ago... and gringos are flocked from word go in the courts.

You have never owned property in MX. So you are speaking about something you have very little knowledge of. You have just read a couple internet articles and are trying to pawn yourself off as some kind of expert.

I haven't even seen evidence that you go to Mexico.

Just typical Goat peddling constant doom and gloom at everyone.

[Edited on 4-11-2021 by JZ]

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2021 at 09:22 PM

Sure, I know people who got screwed in land deals in Mexico. They're the ones who didn't do their homework, didn't take it to the right people to look over to make sure everything was in order, or bought ejido land or had a presta nombre or leased the land.

If you do everything right and have a fideicomiso or can own it in your own name because it's inland, I don't know anyone who's gotten screwed.

My property was already regularized when I bought it, I knew the guy I bought it from and the guy who he bought it from.

Why would I want to put rent money in someone else's pocket when I live in Mexico full time?

If you're talking about clueless gringos who just come down for a few months a year, then yeah, those people should probably just rent.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2021 at 10:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

My property was already regularized when I bought it, I knew the guy I bought it from and the guy who he bought it from.

Ya, but do you know all the children (legitimate and illegitimate) of the guy you bought it from.

The great thing about buying property in USA is that I don’t have to know the guy I bought it from or the guy he bought it from, or his kids, or his bastard children.

What does knowing the guys have to do with anything, except you are saying you trust them? But do you trust the contract to be honored in court when you can no longer trust the sellers?

Woke!

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
4-11-2021 at 12:58 AM
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2021 at 07:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by baja Steve  
I agree with JC43

Some win, some don’t.

The only chit which hits the fan, is goats opinion. An opinion from a guy having no knowledge of Baja. Thinking of all the Nomads owning property in Baja, his opinion is a hit in the face. Thinking of those thousands of US Citizens only here in Cabo San Lucas which own properties, goat is clearly saying, those U.S. Citizens are all stupid. And here in Cabo US Citizens own homes, say Villas or palaces for 10 or 20 million USD!
All stupid? And here there are maybe some thousands of folks owning properties. Now think about all over Mexico. Tens of thousands U.S. Citizens owning properties! All stupid? If one is stupid enough not to do his homework, he doesn`t deserve better. My opinion.
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2021 at 08:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

Ya, but do you know all the children (legitimate and illegitimate) of the guy you bought it from.

The great thing about buying property in USA is that I don’t have to know the guy I bought it from or the guy he bought it from, or his kids, or his bastard children.

What does knowing the guys have to do with anything, except you are saying you trust them? But do you trust the contract to be honored in court when you can no longer trust the sellers?

Well, if you thing knowing or not knowing the seller is the only homework you have to do buying property in Mexico, I strongly believe you have not the slightest idea about Baja. :fire::fire::fire: Even inside the U.S. that is not the only thing which has to be accomplished. Real Estate Lawyer here and there. I also think you should not travel to Baja. Stay where you are and be happy. Do not poison this board with chit.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2021 at 08:23 PM

Wanting to rent and buying have nothing to do with being scared to buy in Baja, it's the ability to move around and not be stuck in one spot. Also being that I own several houses in California I don't want more property to maintain.
If I found an area that I liked and wanted to call home then I would spend the money and time to make sure that I was buying legal property. I would not build or buy on leased land, just not for me.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2021 at 08:29 PM

Wanting to rent and buying have nothing to do with being scared to buy in Baja, it's the ability to move around and not be stuck in one spot. Also being that I own several houses in California I don't want more property to maintain.
If I found an area that I liked and wanted to call home then I would spend the money and time to make sure that I was buying legal property. I would not build or buy on leased land, just not for me.

Renting before buying in Baja is an excellent idea.

So many advantages to that.

JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2021 at 10:22 PM

Renting before buying in Baja is an excellent idea.
So many advantages to that.

I can not agree more thinking of those folks coming to Baja for the first time and thinking of buying something. Nonsense to say: First learn. Then buy. But I think this thread is about all folks living in Baja. At least for several month or even permanently. Goats warning was meant not to buy in general. Because he does not understand the basics. (Homework is something we all learned in first class elementary school. Except those who failed first class):lol::lol::lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2021 at 10:24 PM

Who lives or has property in Cantamar, because that is the subject?
I will reach out to one Nomad I know who has or had a home there and ask.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2021 at 09:01 AM
The Truth at Cantamar

From my amigo, who asked to remain anonymous after reading this thread:

"We were in Cantamar last week when that story broke. I do appreciate your not mentioning my name. Please don't.

"However, as a long time tenant we've observed the battle for ownership. In the confusion some people did not keep their maintenance payments current. The tougher new management has decided not to give them a free ride any longer and has denied entrance to several and evicted a couple of others. They were actually squatters. The media seem to interview the loudest voices, not the numerous people who have no problem. I never even heard of that one guy, but found out he just has a lot there.

"It's a shame as the bad publicity was been very damaging, and it's true that there has been a ton of confusion and some folks have just walked away from their modest investments. But there are still some nice homes in there and people are continuing to enhance their properties. Homeowners who are current with any type of assessed maintenance fees have had no problem."

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2021 at 11:11 AM
Cantamar got locked up

Family patriarch dies and all the relatives end up squabbling over what should happen to property.

I remember when the Pemex there shut down because of the family.
Now the dispute has embroiled the expats who live there too.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/border-baja-califo...

Es Todo Bueno
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2021 at 11:20 AM

WOW, the other side of the story shines a little light on the subject. What the media is not telling the truth, how can this be? People not paying the bills being shut out, how dare they. More people blowing up Mexico because they didn't get there way, sounds like more ugly Americans in Baja. Thanks David.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.