Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: RV sites, San Felipe to Bahia Gonzalgo
23S52N
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2021 at 06:23 PM
RV sites, San Felipe to Bahia Gonzalgo

Not new to mexico or this site by any means. After 10 years of travelling Baja I've sold my house in La Paz and am now looking at buying a 5th wheel RV and doing 6 months on the beaches. I have always loved Bahia de Luis Gonzaga and San Felipe areas.

Can those in the know, not those who think they know, tell me the best places to spend the time, either for the entire 6 months, or split up....I dont want to head farther south than gonzalgo, but one day would like to drop anchor on Bahia de Concepcion.

gracias
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-13-2021 at 07:40 PM

Gonzalgo??
San Felipe and San Luis Gonzaga are very very different places. However, they are only 2 hours apart or less, do both or in-between. Places with full RV hookups will be near San Felipe, however.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

23S52N
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2021 at 08:12 PM

My apologies, brain fart coupled with typo error. Think the muppets invaded my train of thought.
Gonzaga.....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-13-2021 at 10:35 PM

I understand... no apology needed... my Baja brothers here expect me to jump in when a Baja place is misspelled, lol (I make maps)! I hope more Nomads can give some additional advice... It has been pretty dead here lately!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
4-13-2021 at 10:55 PM
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2021 at 06:30 AM

Kiki's in SF on the North end of town is a nice spot with full hook ups.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2021 at 08:40 AM

Not much south of San Felipe for a 5th wheel
Punta Estrella would work
Beach south of Gonzaga may be possible?

For the immediate San Felipe area.
Newest would be Petes Campo 7 miles north of town
See these links

https://www.campendium.com/baja-california/san-felipe#bounds=((30.570271113727642%2C+-115.4161374138759)%2C+(31.409642729214994%2C+-114.33534452597497 ))&zoom_level=8.697175623863695&center_of_map=%7B%22lng%22%3A-114.87574096992483%2C%22lat%22%3A30.99088014962446%7D

https://www.crazyfamilyadventure.com/baja-camping/

Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2021 at 09:08 AM

Kiki's only has a few sites that would accommodate an average length 5th wheel, but is a short walk to the malecon.

Pete's is north of town but has a newly constructed section on the beach with concrete RV pads and full hook ups.

Kiki's has better atmosphere; Pete's has better facilities for large rigs.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2021 at 06:17 PM

Our report on RVing down to Mulege in November - https://heymulege.com/2020/11/27/rving-to-mulege-november-20...

We have a 36ft Class A and tow a Jeep for 56ft overall length. It's really no big deal if you are careful to go almost anywhere in Baja.

23S52N
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2021 at 06:13 AM

Appreciate all your input. Have months ahead to look at things.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2021 at 06:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 23S52N  
Appreciate all your input. Have months ahead to look at things.

It's great to be informed and do your research but also just go at some point and see what you like. Let the weather and the vibe you get from the place dictate your schedule if you have the time. There are enough places to park a rig of any size and explore Baja. The "overlander" types on social media make it seem like you need an expedition vehicle to see Baja but I think that's the exception for the most part.

C205Driver
Nomad

Mood: Life is Good

[*] posted on 4-15-2021 at 08:12 PM

23S52N... I appreciate your qualification in your post; I usually inform friends that visit BN to take some postings with a big grain of salt... Too many arm chair pilots have been there & done that....Without even leaving the computer... And how I try to post !...
23S52N
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2021 at 06:31 AM

Thanks folks for the input. I have been traveling the peninsula for 10 years and before hwy 5 was finished so I am well acquainted with the areas but not the rving side of things. Had considered some isolated camping but think a 40 ft 5 th wheel might be a magnet for the wrong people. In addition, I love the San Felipe area for its beauty and convenience. Early stages since we're still stuck in Canada with this covid show.
23S52N
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2021 at 03:26 PM

Further to my posts, still trying to plan, in spite of the US/Canada border closure, a trip down to San Felipe this winter. We are looking at buying a 40' 5th wheel and we usually cross at Mexicali East, but always just with the p/u, which we park in the south lot after clearing customs, to go to Migracion. Now, pulling a 40' trailer, can anyone with experience counsel as to what/where to park to get to Migracion. Some have said to park on the US side and walk across for the FMM but I see you need to pack a lunch and see no place to park. I know about 200 yds south of the Aduanos clearing is a pull off red zone but dont know if I would get chased out of there. Any experienced counsel would be appreciated.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2021 at 03:39 PM

I doubt I can help, but here is my input
Pull in and get inspected and ask where to go and where to park. If no help is provided drive on. Then later come back and get the FMM. Come back from Where and the answer is as close as possible for walking back.
You cannot get into the parking lot so maybe just park in the right lane would be an option? That is what I would do.
It is possible that the immigration guy will be there and the problem will be solved? There is room under the cyanope where you get inspected.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2021 at 03:43 PM

i have experience with a 40' 5th wheel. i wouldn't bring one to mexico with a gun to my head. that said, you don't plan on going far. best wishes for a good trip.
one request, if you go over the rumorosa pass on hwy 2D, please take video.
23S52N
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2021 at 03:45 PM

thanks, as for the canopy, they wouldn't let me stay parked after the aduanos inspection with just the pickup, seems like migracion and aduanos have a rivalry going, lol. I might try pulling over in that red zone and see que paso. Lots of time to think, plan, and get advice.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 5-9-2021 at 04:01 AM

Hi,

I would drop my rig at the trailer park at the HWY111 and US 8 and go to the west crossing to get my visa. You can park on the left side prior to going through customs.

I would then do a recon of the available sites in Mexico with just my truck. Since there’s no CFE power south of KM 15 on HWY 5 leaving San Felipe you probably don't want to spend the summer without AC! July through October is hot!

That said most of the South Campos can fix you a parking spot in a few weeks, rent is around $1000 US a year for a 50’ X 50’ lot.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.