BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Too late to plant trees and bushes now?
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 4-15-2021 at 05:43 PM
Too late to plant trees and bushes now?

A couple Oleander trees fell over at my house in Punta Chivato. I’d like to replace them. Maybe also plant some new trees, Orange, mango, palms? Some flowers? Is it a little late in the year to do so? What do the horticulturalists say?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-15-2021 at 05:50 PM

Make sure the drip system doesn't let them dry out!

As an overall point... planting in harsh/ extreme weather is not recommended. Just after the last chance of frost in early Spring is preferred. I doubt if Punta Chivato ever has frost, so as much time to get established before blistering summer heat.

On the other side of summer, plant once the highest temps are done for that year. That will be the longest period of growth before the next 90° weather hits.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2021 at 05:52 PM

plant when you like. it's just a matter of managing their new environment. water, light,temperature and wind exposure.
i have 4 acres planted with specimens planted throughout the year. if i offer any council.....don't underestimate how strong summer sun is..
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2021 at 06:41 PM

We just replanted some palms and they are already sprouting new shoots!

Our oleander is leaning towards one side, the winds have been brutal this month.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2021 at 07:08 PM

Planting at this time is not a problem. Perfectly o.k.! And YES the winds were brutally this year. Knocking over our oleanders as well. More important four of our Ficus Benjamini are crippling. They are about ten years old. Last year more than 6 feet high having perfect dark green leaves they are now turning to cripples. Leaves falling off being pale green. Dying branches. They are getting water every second , third day. More water dosn`t help at all. Normally in summer they are getting rid of some leaves when not supported w/ enough water. That`s normal. Anybody knows something about that??
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-15-2021 at 07:10 PM

For fruit (and most) trees, Mulch to keep soil cool.
Water deeply after top 2 inches of soil dry out, repeat. Don’t water when top 2 inches are still moist.
Sometimes when planting new trees in summer I put shade pop up over new tree for a few weeks if the weather is brutally hot.

Avoid drip. It just makes little root balls, better to flood a basin of same diameter as drip line of tree.

If on hill, use low rate sprinkler heads. All my fruit trees are on slopes, and I used hunter mp heads that have ~0.5 inch per hour rate, easy to water deeply on slope w/o runoff.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-15-2021 at 10:03 PM

Drip is a highly efficient, deep watering system, and when installed correctly (enough emitters for the plant size or use emitterline) and operated for the longer periods required, you don't get "little root balls"... That happens when the installation is done on the cheap, and operated as if it was a regular sprinkler (10 minutes) verses 1-2 hours that a drip system requires.
:light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-16-2021 at 05:50 AM

i've planted a couple here

an oleander bush would be ok if watered
ficus trees love the heat but you have to water them

the fruit trees will burn and die no matter what you do

if you are going to be there all summer you could try anything but
if you leave its too late in the season...

it never seems to work out with having people water for you in
the summer...dont count on that

i have all electric automatic sprinklers that come on with the timer
this is the ONLY way to go

the sun is BRUTAL in the summer months on new plantings
OCT is the BEST month to plant

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2021 at 06:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  
Planting at this time is not a problem. Perfectly o.k.! And YES the winds were brutally this year. Knocking over our oleanders as well. More important four of our Ficus Benjamini are crippling. They are about ten years old. Last year more than 6 feet high having perfect dark green leaves they are now turning to cripples. Leaves falling off being pale green. Dying branches. They are getting water every second , third day. More water dosn`t help at all. Normally in summer they are getting rid of some leaves when not supported w/ enough water. That`s normal. Anybody knows something about that??

might be soil fungus. i have had similar symptoms on ficus and neem trees.
i treat the soil with a fungicide and buckhorn the affected trees. also apply the fungicide to adjacent trees. its a good idea to treat your shoes and tools with a bleach solution. if you keep it moist, it may survive.
if you can toss some malla sombra over it sick tree it will aid in recovery. good luck
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2021 at 07:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
i've planted a couple here

an oleander bush would be ok if watered
ficus trees love the heat but you have to water them

the fruit trees will burn and die no matter what you do

if you are going to be there all summer you could try anything but
if you leave its too late in the season...

it never seems to work out with having people water for you in
the summer...dont count

i have all electric automatic sprinklers that come on with the timer
this is the ONLY way to go

the sun is BRUTAL in the summer months on new plantings
OCT is the BEST month to plant

baja California has many micro climates. we live in the todos,pescadero area. a more mild climate than the SOC.
i will be putting a couple citrus and avocados this week. they will do as well as the other 70 fruit trees planted in all months. most people don't "get" what plants require. transplanting is traumatic in the best of conditions...i agree, nobody will irrigate like the owner will.
[Edited on 4-16-2021 by pacificobob]

JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2021 at 09:26 PM

i treat the soil with a fungicide and buckhorn the affected trees. also apply the fungicide to adjacent trees. its a good idea to treat your shoes and tools with a bleach solution. if you keep it moist, it may survive.
if you can toss some malla sombra over it sick tree it will aid in recovery. good luck[/rquote]

Thanks a lot for that information. I was thinking its the soil, but didn`t conclude to the end. Fagin o.k. Treating w/ fungicide o.k. But where to get fungicide?? I asked in Home Depot/Garden Dept. here in Cabo. They have no idea about fungicide. Maybe I should ask mercado libre about that.
Or is there any other recommendation??
Our soil is very poor anyway. More clay than soil. We are mixing sand in between. R U recommending fertilizer in such case?
THX again.
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2021 at 09:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

if you can toss some malla sombra over it sick tree it will aid in recovery. good luck

I just learned out of mercadolibre that most fungicide are based on copper. Copperproducts. Is that o.k.? Others are based on sulfur. What is correctv to use?

[Edited on 4-17-2021 by JC43]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-17-2021 at 07:09 AM

If you have a choice, plant after the hot season. You will need less water, as well, to start.

This is especially true if you plan on leaving for the summer and HOPING they make it. Better to be able to monitor their conditions and adjust accordingly.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2021 at 07:25 AM

are you in an area that has commercial agriculture? go to an agriculture supply place. ask for benoma-t. or a similar soil fungicide.
it's a powder..i use a cup to 5 gallons.
drench the surrounding soil..
a lot of these ag supply places have an engineer on staff who can offer council.
fertilizer is not the fix...but a light application won't hurt. nothing wrong with copper..its naturally found in soil.
don't buy ag products designed for a suburban homeowner...go pro!
good luck...report your results. i have had about 50/50 results saving trees that suffer from these plagas.
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2021 at 08:55 AM

are you in an area that has commercial agriculture? go to an agriculture supply place. ask for benoma-t. or a similar soil fungicide.
it's a powder..i use a cup to 5 gallons.
drench the surrounding soil..
a lot of these ag supply places have an engineer on staff who can offer council.
fertilizer is not the fix...but a light application won't hurt. nothing wrong with copper..its naturally found in soil.
don't buy ag products designed for a suburban homeowner...go pro!
good luck...report your results. i have had about 50/50 results saving trees that suffer from these plagas.

First and foremost: THANKS! for the info. There are no Ag-Pros in Cabo but a lot of Sex-Pros. They won`t help - I suppose. :lol: So I will drive towards Todos to find what`s needed.
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2021 at 10:18 AM

Well, the old lady Google helped me. This is what she said:
https://www.velsimex.com/fungicidas/

But the application recommends: Spray it onto the plant. Nothing about soil treatment. ???

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2021 at 11:09 AM

But the application recommends: Spray it onto the plant. Nothing about soil treatment. ???

benoma-t is the 3rd product listed. as you enter la paz from the south, there's numerous ag supply places along the highway. most of the office staff lack much knowledge....but they know how to contact the staff engineer ...talk with that guy.
i have made good use of their knowledge on ⁶many occasions.
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2021 at 01:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
There are no Ag-Pros in Cabo but a lot of Sex-Pros. They won`t help - I suppose.
They don't last long as sex pros without knowing how to treat fungal infections. :light:

THATS A REAL GOOD ONE :bounce::bounce: I LIKE IT!!
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2021 at 02:03 PM

benoma-t is the 3rd product listed. as you enter la paz from the south, there's numerous ag supply places along the highway. most of the office staff lack much knowledge....but they know how to contact the staff engineer ...talk with that guy.
i have made good use of their knowledge on ⁶many occasions.

Thanks again, but on this recommendation I don`t think want to drive all the way to La Paz only talking to people which may or may not tell me if or not I can just pour it onto the soil. Of course I can pour it wherever I want, that`s not the point. Point is: Does it help the soil? Do u know? I would guess it will. If it kills fungus on a leave it will kill the same fungus in the soil. And ordering it from mercadolibre.com is more easy. Shipment in most cases are 99 Pesos. I have to walk to get to La Paz for 99 Pesos !
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2021 at 11:01 AM

@ pacificobob - and others interested.
This is what I found about Benoma T 50
The BENOMA-T 50 Product or Service is described for:
Pharmaceutical and veterinary preparations; sanitary preparations for medical purposes; dietary substances adapted for medical use, baby food; plaster for medical use, material for healing (dressings and bandages); material to cover teeth; dental wax; disinfectants; preparations for the destruction of harmful animals namely; insecticides, pesticides, miticides, fungicides, herbicides.
The owner of the BENOMA-T 50 brand is:
Velsimex, SA De CV; MX; Av. Central # 206, Floor 3, Col. San Pedro De Los Pinos. Mexico DF. 01180, MEXICO. It is a class 5 brand
Registration dates for " BENOMA-T 50 " was:
Concession: 2008-03-19 Presentation: 2008-02-25 Trademark registration file: 916474

We do not have the RFC of BENOMA-T 50 available, but this product and / or service is for Pharmaceutical and Veterinary Preparations; sanitary preparations for medical purposes; dietary substances adapted for medical use, baby food; plaster for medical use, material for healing (dressings and bandages); material to cover teeth; dental wax; disinfectants; preparations for the destruction of harmful animals namely; insecticides, pesticides, miticides, fungicides, herbicides.
OTHER BRANDS RELATED TO BENOMA-T 50, AND REGISTERED WITH THE IMPI. (Mexican Institute of Intellectual Property) are:

BIK'IT
EL ANTIGUO
CAMELLO DEPOCALITZIN

Other areas included in this class of brands are: Caffeine preparations for stimulant use, Herbs for medicinal purposes, Food for infants,
Food supplements, Pharmaceutical products for treatment of erectile dysfunction, Bacteriological culture media,

Nasopharyngeal swabs for medical use, These products are classified in class 5 by analogy with the "cotton swabs for medical use" in the Nice alphabetical list of class 5. Swabs for medical use are accepted; More specifications are accepted, but not required. of BENOMA-T 50, Pharmaceutical Preparations for Use in Chemotherapy, Radiopharmaceuticals for Imaging and Detection for Cancer Diagnosis and Monitoring,
Biocides, Germicides, Bactericides, Virucides, Fungicides, Insecticides, Pesticides and Herbicides, Anthelmintics, Nutritionally Fortified Water for Medical Use, This article refers to water that is simply a carrier of nutritional supplements. A regular Class 32 drink that simply has an additional component for health, such as calcium-enriched orange juice, is still in Class 32. 01-01-2016: On 01-01-2016, this entry from 08- 06-2001 was modified to add "for medical purposes" in accordance with the Nice Classification, tenth edition, version 2016, effective from 01-01-2016. According to Nice 10-2016, identifications of fortified, improved or nutritionally enriched foods or beverages must indicate a medical, therapeutic or veterinary purpose for classification in Class 5.
BUSINESS ITEMS

WEL ! They say its good for baby food? Does it really kill fungus??
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.