BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: If you wanted to buy 3 ATV's at a reasonable cost, what would you buy?
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 4-17-2021 at 03:01 PM
If you wanted to buy 3 ATV's at a reasonable cost, what would you buy?

One for me, one for the wife and one for my almost 15 year old. For use in BCS on a semi daily basis to explore. I don't mind buying in SC and driving down. I have no idea about the first thing to consider since I have never purchased one before. Like what is the price range, what cc is appropriate etc.? Buy new or used? I love fast and big but maybe the wife and son do not.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2021 at 03:13 PM

Had an ATV years ago. Today, I wouldn't own an ATV. Too dangerous and not that much fun. They are ok for dinging around here and there. But you can't take one on a serious trail ride.

Dirt bikes are more fun and safer. Get two, for you and your son. Get the wife a Razor/SXS.

Or just get two SXS total instead of the dirt bikes. Share between the 3 of you.

[Edited on 4-18-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2021 at 03:25 PM

Thanks JZ but my wife is 2 wheel challenged. I love the bike idea. You suggest the Razor/sxs for the wife but what about for me and son. I had a Harley 1200 hard tail down here years ago and loved it to death. Dropped it all the time on deep sandy roads

harley in baja.jpg - 73kB

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 4-17-2021 at 03:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajabus  
Thanks JZ but my wife is 2 wheel challenged. I love the bike idea. You suggest the Razor/sxs for the wife but what about for me and son. I had a Harley 1200 hard tail down here years ago and loved it to death. Dropped it all the time on deep sandy roads

run what you brung!:coolup:
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2021 at 03:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
Quote: Originally posted by Bajabus  

run what you brung!:coolup:

I aint brung nada is my dilema

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2021 at 04:03 PM

Probably one of the most common 3 wheel ATVs was the Honda 185 4 stroke. We started off with 1 Honda 110 then my son, daughter and I fought over riding it. Soon I had two 185s then my son had a Kawasaki 250 two stroke. Later my daughter got a Honda 350x 4 stroke. I loved riding them. It's different that a motorcycle you got to get use to the body english needed. I wish I had never sold that 350x but with age comes a cage.

My daughter could ride that 110 everywhere in Glamis. She could out ride all her boy friends that went with us.

[Edited on 4-18-2021 by TMW]
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2021 at 04:48 PM

my 2 cents.....
honda makes some fine 4wheelers.

finding the bargains on clean low use machines is tough.

place a wanted ad. let the sellers come to you.
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2021 at 05:14 PM

Unless you want to have a UTV that will carry all of you at once, I'd consider Honda quads. If you're looking at 4wd, consider the Rancher or Foreman. Parts are more available in BCS for Honda. I have a Honda and a Yamaha, and I almost always have to bring parts from the US for the Yamaha.

I'd completely avoid the older 3-wheelers. They are more prone to tip at higher speeds, which is why they are no longer made.
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2021 at 05:14 PM

Thanks, I have some research to do.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2021 at 05:16 PM

That is a sweet pic Bajabus.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2021 at 05:19 PM

Remember also, a SXS with a good suspension is going to be infinitely more comfortable than an ATV.

[Edited on 4-18-2021 by JZ]

imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2021 at 05:27 PM

...You don't necessarily need 4wd quads for sand. 2wd quads are much less expensive.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy used ones if you're on a budget. Consider lower mileage quads, and inspect for rust. You may also want to consider an automatic transmission model if your wife is moto-challenged.

That is definitely a really sweet picture!
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2021 at 05:33 PM

For a UTV, consider the Honda Pioneer 700-4 or the 1000-5. I've never driven one, but it's what I would consider if I was in the market.
cortezpirasea

[*] posted on 4-17-2021 at 05:34 PM

Honda
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2021 at 06:05 PM

Honda Foreman, auto, 4 wd. Build some over head racks and buy baskets to put on front and back.

They will take you lots of places with gear to camp and or explore.

20201224_201249.jpg - 82kB

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2021 at 06:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Probably one of the most common 3 wheel ATVs was the Honda 185 4 stroke. We started off with 1 Honda 110 then my son, daughter and I fought over riding it. Soon I had two 285s then my son had a Kawasaki 250 two stroke. Later my daughter got a Honda 350x 4 stroke. I loved riding them. It's different that a motorcycle you got to get use to the body english needed. I wish I had never sold that 350x but with age comes a cage.

My daughter could ride that 110 everywhere in Glamis. She could out ride all her boy friends that went with us.

They stopped making those 3 wheelers as so many people got their legs caught when they put them down. Saw a lot of them out in Glamis back in the 1980's. Rode them a few times, no thanks. I had a RM250 at the time that was infinitely more fun and practical.

Four wheels or two, stay away from any trikes, dirt or street.

Nice picture of the old Sportster! Mine's 31 years old this year.

You might want to get similar brands/models. My buddy buys dual sports on CL, I fix them, and he rides and then sells them. Yamaha XT225/250, Suzuki DRZ400, Honda XRs. I'd stay with carbureted bikes, but that's just my opinion, EFI is pretty stable technology today.

All good bikes easy to work on and reliable. Maybe a couple XTs and a DRZ for yourself? He has yet to buy/find a deal on a Kawasaki, so I have no opinion on those. Did ride a couple "Kawi triples" in the late 70's, but that's my only experience with a Kawasaki.

John

[Edited on 4-18-2021 by John Harper]
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2021 at 07:30 AM

Great suggestions.
Not interested in three wheels, it's going to be 4.
I like carbureted it's what I grew up with and am familiar with.
the Honda Forman looks nice and I was surprised to see them between 7 and 8K new back in NC. 518cc might be too much for the kid.

I jones for a 2 wheel. Lordy that pic does make me pine for the old days. Used to hang out down here in the mid 90's over at Palapa Bobs just south of Cerritos. Big palapa gone now. Bunch of motorcyclists always partying there. He was very proud of his 12 VDC blender. I wonder whatever happened to him. I lost track. That's where the pic was taken.

Where in SoCal would be a good place to hunt some quad Hondas down? I don't mind low mileage used since wife and I are both pretty handy and experienced mechanics.

Does buying in the states make more sense than down here?

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2021 at 09:12 AM

Here's a better pic of some of the Palapa Bob crowd.

Bobs to my left in the pic. If anyone recognizes him and knows how to contact please let me know.

Lynn, my wife, is behind the guy flipping off the camera. It was safer riding there ;)

motorcycles at palapa.jpg - 99kB

El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2021 at 12:20 PM

I bought a new 07 Yamaha two wheel drive quad after we moved over to the east cape. It has been thoroughly abused all its life and I can't kill it. All I've ever done is change the oil about every two years. I don't like to work on stuff, so I don't much. Just a lazy surfer. A reliable rig it's been. Neighbors got Polaris quads back around the same time and they were terrible. I think they are better now.
Four wheel drive is needed if you want to pull something like a small boat down to the beach, but otherwise not needed at all. Sometimes deals come up down here, but they get snapped up in a hurry.

My quad is now second string. We bought a Kawasaki side by side four seater last year and my wife loves it for runs down the beach for sushi. Table for four! It is kind of like a cross between a farm service vehicle and one of those low slung go fast rigs the goggled crew flies by in on Camino Cabo del Este.

I've always wondered what those excursion companies do with their rigs when they are retired from service. But maybe they might be too used up. I'd ask around at dealers and service places in Cabo before going stateside to buy. I bought my Kawi up there and had it shipped down. I may have paid about the same all-in had I just bought locally.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2021 at 12:36 PM

Search https://www.atvtrader.com/
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.