BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: If you wanted to buy 3 ATV's at a reasonable cost, what would you buy?
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2021 at 12:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajabus  

Where in SoCal would be a good place to hunt some quad Hondas down? I don't mind low mileage used since wife and I are both pretty handy and experienced mechanics.

Does buying in the states make more sense than down here?

Craigslist works for my friend. I would think selection in the states would be better, and you can surely find a deal. My friend has picked up some great bikes for next to nothing. A little carb work, etc, and back on the trail.

John
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2021 at 02:20 PM

Definitely want to buy from the US. Much more selection and you will find ones that have been well maintained.

I bought all the kids bikes over the years off of craigslist, until buying 2 new KTMs once they stopped growing.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2021 at 04:27 PM

Craigslist and Offerup.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one in BCS, provided it wasn't rode hard and put away salty. Rust is a big issue with many ATV's that aren't washed regularly.

One thing you should consider with buying and importing from the US: You need to have proof of ownership to get across the border. Because many ATV's aren't ever registered, you may have to go through the extra trouble to do this, which also means that you should check the VIN prior to purchase, to make sure it's not hot.

Another thing you should consider, is that you may have to buy a trailer to get them all down there, and that trailer will also have to be registered.

Last, but not least, if you're making the road trip solely to bring your toys down, consider that fuel and other expenses are probably going to total in excess of $1,200 US, so it may not be worth it if you're only considering one quad. It will be best for you to buy them all in the US and bring them down at once, unless you regularly make the drive (not fly). You have to also consider the time it will take you to do this, unless you have time to spare.

With all of this - Been there, done that. It's not simple, and for this reason, you may want to keep your eyes open and ear to the ground for deals in and around your area of BCS.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2021 at 04:45 PM

any sort of ocean/beach exposure results in rust. wheel bearings,frame ect. yet another reason to buy up north. i bought a 5 year old honda foreman with 145 miles on it. wasn't cheap...but a real creampuff.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2021 at 04:55 PM

Contact the local Mx outfit that rents them and make a deal. The large ATV vendors have very old and unreliable as well as the latest new models. And everywhere in between
Here in San Felipe there are multiple vendors that deal in ATVs. One of them has dozens of them to choose from. They wont sell during busy holiday times, but when thing are slow the deals arise.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2021 at 05:22 PM

Bajabus,
There are some "interesting" answers above. I won't bother debating them.
My recommendations: Honda for reliability and parts (new & used) availability. A 4-stroke, 200cc to 300cc quad should have plenty of power for anything, including sand. (For running the big sand dunes at Glamis, 400cc or more). 2WD is fine unless you are in mud bogs. 4WD adds weight, tends to decrease agility, and adds significantly to the cost (new or used).

Quads have a quick learning curve and require less athleticism and skill development than a 2-wheel dirt bike. You can add a rack(s) to a quad and easily carry gear or groceries.

My pick is the Honda TRX250EX and/or the Honda Recon TRX250. I have a TRX250EX and two Recons, one with manual shift, the other electric shift).

The "250" (229cc) engine has enough power, yet probably not so much power that your 15 year old will get in trouble. Super reliable. Parts are easily available. Many aftermarket accessories are available. They have a driveshaft, so no chain and sprockets to maintain. Light enough that I can lift the front or rear end to get unstuck or spin it around. Fuel efficient engine. An automatic clutch reduces the learning curve. In 10 minutes, friends learn enough to follow on easy trail rides.

Though essentially the same, there are a few differences. The TRX250EX is a little "sportier". A few pounds lighter, more suspension travel, alloy wheels, no cargo racks (a quality aftermarket rear rack is under $100). The Recon has steel wheels, OEM front and rear cargo racks, and is available with manual (foot lever) or electric shift (thumb buttons for the left hand).
https://www.atvstyle.com/honda-trx-250ex-specs/
https://offroadingpro.com/honda-recon-250/

My quads are fitted with trailer hitches ($25) and sometimes tow a small trailer for hauling hay bales or gathering firewood on the ranch. The OEM thumb throttles were replaced with MotionPro twist throttles, approx $80 for the kit), preferred for rides longer rides to prevent thumb fatigue.

I'd suggest buying new or used in the USA. New MSRP is under $5k. It might take a while to find used, but desert season is coming to a close, so perhaps this is a good time to start looking. Expect to pay $2k to $3k for a used one in very good condition (the asking price is probably $500 higher).

All of my numerous bikes are through Craigslist, private party. I'm mechanically inclined, so I check them out myself and have never been burned. Do check the Certificate of Ownership (title) and current registration. Make sure the VIN and motor number (for motorcycles and quads) match the paperwork, as well as, the seller's ID.

If you are wanting your bike to be for faster/sport riding, perhaps check out the Honda 300EX or 400EX. However, you will have a chain to adjust, lube, and replace.
Always use 4 stroke motorcycle oil, such as Honda GN4, not automotive oil, due to the internal transmission's requirement for special lubrication properties. The Honda's should last a long, long time.

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2021 at 06:45 PM

I knew Bob...Palapa Bob or whatever...he rode a Harley if I remember right and met him at Shut Up Franks. I remember his place and may have met you and some others?! I have lived near the beach in Pescadero since early 2000. Like many, Bob seemed to have disappeared from our crowd. Still loving BCS even as the crowds and changes keep coming. I've got a 4WD Toyota and a Honda Polaris for beach runs. Keep on!
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 4-19-2021 at 07:08 AM

Maderita,

Thanks for taking the time to put together that comprehensive post. The advice about switching to twist throttles is really good to know and drive-shaft vs chain is food for thought. I am now convinced that for tooling around the 250 2 wheel drive quads should be fine fun.

At those prices I am leaning towards new in the states or down here taking into consideration the 1K+ in cost and time to go up and back.

I really appreciate all the advice from everyone.

[Edited on 19-4-2021 by Bajabus]

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2021 at 07:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  
I knew Bob...Palapa Bob or whatever...he rode a Harley if I remember right and met him at Shut Up Franks. I remember his place and may have met you and some others?! I have lived near the beach in Pescadero since early 2000. Like many, Bob seemed to have disappeared from our crowd. Still loving BCS even as the crowds and changes keep coming. I've got a 4WD Toyota and a Honda Polaris for beach runs. Keep on!

Bob was a fun guy, I sure do hope he is OK and I can figure out a way to reconnect. There were some incredibly rambunctious parties under that Palapa!

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2021 at 11:00 AM

Bajabus,
De nada. I hope that info helps.
I didn't realize that you live so close to major tourist areas. In that case, you might do a guided tourist ride with the family. See how they enjoy their experience while you check out the performance and technical aspects of the quads. A couple decades ago, I rented out of CSL. If I recall correctly, I rode a Honda 300EX quad. It can't hurt to try it out before committing. The business may even have some tips for you on where/how to get the best deals.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2021 at 11:29 AM

If you are getting an ATV and a Honda, you want the 450 with a manual.

Those are way more fun than the 250's. Night and day difference.

They rent the 450 Honda's up at Pismo beach if you want to try one before you buy. They also rent 250's for comparison. Don't let your kid ride the 450, he's never gonna want the 250 after experiencing that.

[Edited on 4-19-2021 by JZ]

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2021 at 11:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Don't let your kid right the 450, he's never gonna want the 250 after experiencing that.

[Edited on 4-19-2021 by JZ]

LOL you got that right!

Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2021 at 12:05 PM

All 3 of our kids learned to operate an atv safely on our 1999 Honda 4 x 4 Foreman, 400cc, manual tranny.
Today that quad is going on 12k miles and is still used daily by our irrigator. A very good Honda machine indeed.

You can always throttle back, gear down to control velocity but when in need of torque or speed, there is no replacement for displacement.
20210418_115740.jpg - 304kB

Nice to read all the first hand experiences from the Nomads.

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2021 at 12:18 PM

Kids' first quads.

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2021 at 12:59 PM

OK JZ, that is super cute.

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 4-20-2021 at 08:32 AM

Those 2 pictures you posted are solid gold. Got any more to share? Any of the name brand 4 wheelers are good. No chinese ones.
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2021 at 09:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Those 2 pictures you posted are solid gold. Got any more to share? Any of the name brand 4 wheelers are good. No chinese ones.

ehall, I do but I don't want to highjack the thread. I am thinking of finally doing part 4 of "Pillar and the Great Atomic Fireball" The statue of limitations here in Mexico has run out on that one so it think it's safe to post. I will put pics in that thread.

Here are links to parts 1, 2 and three. Please do not clutter up this ATV thread with posts about that story. I think you can still revive those old threads and post there. I am already guilty of having strayed by going down the memory hole. Us old guys get distracted easily.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=46&goto=s...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=47&goto=s...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=221&goto=...

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 4-20-2021 at 10:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajabus  

ehall, I do but I don't want to highjack the thread. I am thinking of finally doing part 4 of "Pillar and the Great Atomic Fireball" The statue of limitations here in Mexico has run out on that one so it think it's safe to post. I will put pics in that thread.

Here are links to parts 1, 2 and three. Please do not clutter up this ATV thread with posts about that story. I think you can still revive those old threads and post there. I am already guilty of having strayed by going down the memory hole. Us old guys get distracted easily.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=46&goto=s...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=47&goto=s...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=221&goto=...

Thanks. We have had really good luck with our Polaris 4 wheelers. We had a 425 sportsman and a 500 sportsman. Both great machines.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-20-2021 at 11:29 AM

I pretty much agree with this, with regards to the legacy Japanese mfgrs. (Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki). Even though they clearly have parts made in China in them. The only real problems I've seen have been with the Polaris and Can Am brands, ESPECIALLY THE SIDE BY SIDES. Not so much the true ATVs.
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2021 at 01:31 PM

Again, I'm going to reference parts availability. I believe the only dealerships you'll find in BCS are Honda and Can-Am. Otherwise, plan on getting parts from the US. Take it from a seasoned pro at waiting: It really sucks when your ATV breaks down and you have to go to the US to get parts. This can be for the smallest malfunctioning thing, like a leaky petc-ck gasket. Choose your brand wisely.

Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.