BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Insurance when you run off the paved roads??
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 4-22-2021 at 01:22 PM
Insurance when you run off the paved roads??

I am a long time happy customer of Baja Bound
Must be, because real often a great little tiny video shows up on my screen, featuring lots of familiar sites and scenes from Baja.

But, in previous reading of my policies, it seemed quite clear that if your were driving off road you were not covered.

And, the video shows great shots of an off road pickup, running at speed. A couple of off road bikers hauling tail
and a final great shot of a meandering dirt road, heading off over the far horizon with the usual dust cloud somewhere in the mix.

So, am I now covered in my frequent and lengthy off road excursions?
Or is this video simply a tease and a sort of red herring.

Just curious....
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-22-2021 at 01:40 PM

Read your policy.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-22-2021 at 01:43 PM

Why not call them? Phone: (888) 552-2252

Here's what is in my mind, having used Baja Bound for 20 years... again in my mind, not the company's words:

*It is my understanding that if your car is stolen, it doesn't matter where it happens.
*You are covered on most dirt roads that appear on maps that are normal routes used by others.
*If another vehicle crashes into you, you are covered.
**I think the only non-covered thing would be if you were on a really bad road or off road, and you rolled your rig while trying to drive on that really bad road, that would be not covered.

Maybe BajaGeoff (the owner of Baja Bound Insurance) will see this?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2021 at 02:26 PM

Good question, I hope he comes along to answer, they are my go to company.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2021 at 04:47 PM

My latest policy from BB (Chubb):

“Exclusions...
12. Damages caused from traveling on nonconventional or non-municipal roads.“

‘Nonconventional’ is not defined...

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-22-2021 at 05:47 PM

We've been through this before. The fine print seems vague. I always have used BB and look forward to his reply with specifics. As a broker, who really decides what is covered?

If your rig is stolen at 7 Sisters is it covered?

If it breaks down between Los Commondus and San Javier, is the tow covered?

[Edited on 4-23-2021 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2021 at 06:31 PM

I'm not worried about "damage to my vehicle"
It is a 99 F150 and I never put anything but liability, not worth it.

But, I also tend to "hurry" down washboard roads, like at least 60 to smooth it out and sometimes a lot higher than that.

So, some yahoo pulls out in front of me from behind a bush where he was taking a leak and I nail him...... am I covered?

Most off road driving depends on seeing dust ahead to note where you might have traffic, but if the guy just suddenly appears... well, that is another issue and pretty hard to stop on a dirt road at 100 kph...
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 4-22-2021 at 08:13 PM

Hey Nomads!

Here is a little clarification in regards to dirt roads vs off-roading. Your insurance policy covers you on dirt roads so long as they are regularly transited by locals and have signage. That is still considered to be a municipal road. Examples of dirt roads where coverage still applies would be the crossover road from Highway 1 south of San Vicente that goes to Valle de Trinidad or the Compadre Trail near Tecate down to highway 3. Travelers and ranchers alike use those roads all the time.

Off-roading is defined as rough terrain that would be impassible in a regular passenger vehicle (including driving on beaches). To put it in the simplest terms....if an insurance adjuster cannot get to you in a 2WD Toyota Yaris because the road is too rough, sandy or impassable...you are off-roading. The road from Mike's Sky Ranch to Rancho El Coyote would be a situation where no coverage applies, because that road is absoutely terrible and extremely challenging even with a very capable high clearance 4WD vehicle.

bajarunnner....I have never heard of a claim being denied because of hauling burro down a dirt road but we will ask both HDI and CHUBB tomorrow and get back to you!

Hope this helps!

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2021 at 08:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGeoff  

Hey Nomads!

Here is a little clarification in regards to dirt roads vs off-roading. Your insurance policy covers you on dirt roads so long as they are regularly transited by locals and have signage.

....if an insurance adjuster cannot get to you in a 2WD Toyota Yaris because the road is too rough, sandy or impassable...you are off-roading. T

Thanks Geoff,
"signage"....Gov't or hand painted ? Helpful but vague.

What are some historical examples of the coverage you offer that is in the grey zone and were not covered?

[Edited on 4-23-2021 by motoged]

bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2021 at 10:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

But, I also tend to "hurry" down washboard roads, like at least 60 to smooth it out and sometimes a lot higher than that.

So, some yahoo pulls out in front of me from behind a bush where he was taking a leak and I nail him...... am I covered?

Most off road driving depends on seeing dust ahead to note where you might have traffic, but if the guy just suddenly appears... well, that is another issue and pretty hard to stop on a dirt road at 100 kph...
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2021 at 10:29 PM

So when your traveling 60 mph on a washboard road and some yahoo pulls out in front of you, which one of you is really the yahoo?
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 05:56 AM

Several years ago I was driving on a paved road at a reasonable speed for the conditions and a 300lb bear ran down the hill next to the road. The bear crashed into the passenger rear fender and popped the bumper cover loose! Yahoos do come out of the bushes unexpectedly!

We have a game trail that crosses our driveway in the states, where we currently live. The game always has the right of way! This picture is from our driveway gate gate cam last night!

8711786F-14D8-4F84-B717-788EE12DB1D7.jpeg - 215kB

[Edited on 4-23-2021 by RFClark]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 06:42 AM
Signage on back roads

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Good news Ged....On the route you mentioned, there is official, highway department signage! If I had actually encountered another car or truck between Los Comondus and San Javier, there was a sign toward the southern end prohibiting one from passing!

Probably a good call on placement of the sign, since there wasn't much room for two full size vehicles!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 07:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Good news Ged....On the route you mentioned, there is official, highway department signage! If I had actually encountered another car or truck between Los Comondus and San Javier, there was a sign toward the southern end prohibiting one from passing!

Probably a good call on placement of the sign, since there wasn't much room for two full size vehicles!

There are kilometer signs on the roads from San Isidro to Commondu and Commondu to San Javier. I’m not sure a 2 we would do well on either road unless it’s a truck.

Driving 60mph on a dirt road seems reckless. You’re only in contact with the tops of the washboard so there is much less control of the vehicle. This is particularly noticeable on even gentle turns where the vehicle starts to drift. It’s like being on ice.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 07:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

Drive only as fast as is safe. If you can’t see ahead or control your car, you will hit the unexpected cow, person, horse, goat, stopped car, etc.

Only idiots ignore stationary or low speed users of the road and instead only look for dust clouds indicative of high speed users of the road.

High speed floating over washboard is fun occasionally, but stupid if done in areas where visibility makes it unsafe.

Woke!

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 08:08 AM

Good input Geoff
So a road like the one down to San Francisquito and over to El Arco is good, The Pole Line Road, probably not good.
I checked my US policy and they say if you wreck and get it back across the border they will fix it.

As to the comments on my driving...
I drive what I drive.
Started driving off road in Baja in 1971 going down to El Arco to support a local racer. Raced for 12 years.
I never, ever drive out of control....
My speed is not your speed
And basement dwellers have no speed at all...
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 08:27 AM

Good info. I'm guessing the the road from SI to scorpion bay and even ice house road over to Mulege would be covered as locals live out there and drive 2wd trucks back and forth.
Is it the same for a motorcycle as a car?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 08:56 AM

Can we learn...?
Comondú (one M)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 09:02 AM

Nice stories and signage feedback....but still hoping Geoff can offer actual case-related info.

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 02:16 PM

@motoged...we did have a Polaris RZR that was off-roading, caught fire and burned to the ground. The claim was paid since it was determined that the terrain had nothing to do with the vehicle catching fire.

Similarly, if you are off-roading in the boonies somewhere (like those famous secret surf spots at 7 Sisters) and your vehicle gets stolen, it would be covered since the terrain had nothing to do with the theft. But if you are off-roading and break something on your vehicle it would not be covered since it is a direct result of the rough terrain.

Getting a tow when you are off roading is a bit more tricky. The tow company would have to be able to find you, and also be able to get a tow truck in there.

@bajarunner...yes the road from el Arco to San Francisquito is considered a municipal road as it is transited regularly and has signage. The Pole Line Road would not have coverage...way too rough!

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.