BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Just Bought a Bus - Baja Camper here we come!
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 10:29 AM
Just Bought a Bus - Baja Camper here we come!

was screwing around wasting time at home, when I came across a 2009 International CE "school" bus up for auction on the GSA website. I've always been interested in using on as a platform for a conversion - and this was cheap - looked to be in very good shape, and had only 38000 miles on it. It was used in Washington DC to haul around government employees as far as I can tell.

Not full length, but longer than a short bus - and crucially it has the "wheel chair lift" which will become the motorcycle lift, cabinet lift, and anything else to heavy or bulky to fit through the emergency door lift!

So now - i have to get it home - that's the first adventure. I have to pick it up in Baltimore. I'll drive it home in 3 stages - Baltimore to Detroit - where i have great mechanic help and family to visit. Then Detroit to Utah - and finally Utah to California.

Then Ill put in a kitchen, an outdoor shower, generator, beds and cabinets etc.

still have to figure out the best place to register it, the conversion itself, and it being a commercial vehicle right now - that's the issue. Maybe Vermont or South Dakota will be the best options to make sure its legal and I can drive it W/O a commercial license!

I'l pull a trailer with a jeep or my side by side on it , or a boat etc.

I'm looking forward to the conversion, I am not looking forward to the registration / insurance licensing cluster f&%^* " that I have to go through!
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 10:36 AM

Congratulations!
Our 32 ft international 1700 school bus was registered in NY as a camper without any issues. Drove it around for many years like that and no officer of the law ever hassled me for not having a commercial DL at any of the very numerous traffic stops we had.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 10:45 AM

woohoo....so cool! I have had dreams of getting a short bus for taking our whale watchers out to our whale camp and using it for camping off season. Hope we get to see your dream bus sometime!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 10:48 AM

That is pretty cool.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 10:58 AM

Does it have a 2 speed rear-end? Ours did and we found it very helpful. The best thing we had on there were 2 high-lift jacks. Came in very handy many times.

If it does not already have one, put in a high amperage alternator and get 1-2 battery switch so you can charge house batteries while you drive and isolate the starting battery when not driving.

And of course a solar system.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 11:24 AM

What engine/ trans. ? Could be a great start.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 02:02 PM

Some guys on ADV rider have the same set up in Canada, they drive it down full of bikes every year to Baja. Some searching and you might find their ride reports?
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 02:28 PM

Photos, please! Would enjoy watching the project progress.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 4-23-2021 at 03:39 PM

Felicidades!
Sounds like a great project.

For those curious about the bus- does it look like this one?
I bought it several years ago- it was a diesel, lots more miles, 20 seats, wheelchair lift that worked great for moving appliances, loading supplies etc.

I started with similar dreams- but life took a different turn. The camper conversion plans didn't work out, but the bus ultimately went on to help people in need other ways.

I look forward to seeing your project develop!

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2021 at 12:00 AM

There's one for sale right now just listed on Craigslist Phoenix.
2012 International CE, 140k diesel for $6000.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/ctd/d/phoenix-2012-intern...

Have fun!

[Edited on 4-24-2021 by vandy]
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-24-2021 at 01:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Some guys on ADV rider have the same set up in Canada, they drive it down full of bikes every year to Baja. Some searching and you might find their ride reports?

That would be my gang:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/she-slapped-me-with-little-provocation.666961/

Don't believe everything you think....
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2021 at 06:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

That would be my gang:

i keep telling myself im done with BMWs....but that boxer in the first photo...nice!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-24-2021 at 06:21 AM

Sounds like a great project with a worthwhile goal!

Although I have more time in retirement to take on a project like that, my "get it done" drive is fading, and I think I would have one more unfinished project competing for my attention.

Good luck on the adventure!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-24-2021 at 07:57 AM

The Bajabus bus (and Mrs. Bajabus):

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-24-2021 at 08:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
was screwing around wasting time at home, when I came across a 2009 International CE "school" bus up for auction on the GSA website. I've always been interested in using on as a platform for a conversion - and this was cheap - looked to be in very good shape, and had only 38000 miles on it. It was used in Washington DC to haul around government employees as far as I can tell.

Not full length, but longer than a short bus - and crucially it has the "wheel chair lift" which will become the motorcycle lift, cabinet lift, and anything else to heavy or bulky to fit through the emergency door lift!

So now - i have to get it home - that's the first adventure. I have to pick it up in Baltimore. I'll drive it home in 3 stages - Baltimore to Detroit - where i have great mechanic help and family to visit. Then Detroit to Utah - and finally Utah to California.

Then Ill put in a kitchen, an outdoor shower, generator, beds and cabinets etc.

still have to figure out the best place to register it, the conversion itself, and it being a commercial vehicle right now - that's the issue. Maybe Vermont or South Dakota will be the best options to make sure its legal and I can drive it W/O a commercial license!

I'l pull a trailer with a jeep or my side by side on it , or a boat etc.

I'm looking forward to the conversion, I am not looking forward to the registration / insurance licensing cluster f&%^* " that I have to go through!

Buying the vehicle from govt is easy part.
Getting it off the lot is hard part, does it run?
Getting the SF97 in timely manner is harder than picking up the vehicle. Took me 4 months to get an sf97 in mail after buying govt vehicle.
I would hire a pro to outfit the bus with kitchen, beds, etc. too much work to put in all that equip, and then wind up having it be all squeaky and rattley.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2021 at 11:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

That would be my gang:

i keep telling myself im done with BMWs....but that boxer in the first photo...nice!

PB,
That beemer is a 1981 GS with a ton of upgrades....sold it to get the 690 KTM....

I am presently replacing fuel pump systems on the 690 and GS 1100..... I sure miss gravity fed carbs.

My favourite bike ever was a 1982 R100 RS.... THE best design ....like this one:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1983-bmw-r100-rs-3/

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2021 at 12:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
I am presently replacing fuel pump systems on the 690 and GS 1100.....

Because of problems, or just upgrading?

Problems.:
...690 has 38,000km on upgraded pump and filter....and it kacked while doing the Kettle Valley Railway last August....pushed it for 1.5 hours and was able to start it with constant throttle blipping and limped 80 kms back to camp.....maybe bad fuel or plugged filter

.... gs 1100 sat for three years (690 fever)....pump didn't work.....maybe varnished shut??? It has about 90,000 km on that pump so time for replacement.

Getting into pumped tanks is like brain surgery.....float indicators go screwy, small o-rings get gulped, and/or something gets bent or whatever.....

But, that's the pleasure of such toys.....

At least the 450 is good.....will see later today

Covid and weather is allowing me to attend to such matters with less of a sense of urgency....:coolup:

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2021 at 12:55 PM

Pumps could be externalized, but common knowledge has it that the pump is cooled in the tank by the gas....and would otherwise overheat.

I had externalized the gs100 filter years ago for easy change....not so easy to do with 690 system.

Fuel pump failures have been common known issues w/ injected KTM's (different theories about "the black stuff in tank" ) .....not sure about other brands

[Edited on 4-24-2021 by motoged]

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-24-2021 at 06:32 PM

For this reason I prefer to only ride dirt bikes . With carb we spent 3 days dealing . With a ktm fuel pump on trail .
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2021 at 07:04 PM

Yep, higher tech = higher problem risk. My '04 450 EXC is my Baja bike....

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.