Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Southbound Crossing at San Luis Towing Trailer
BajaRun
Nomad

Mood: Just Cruisin'

[*] posted on 4-25-2021 at 10:41 AM
Southbound Crossing at San Luis Towing Trailer

I've never crossed at San Luis before. I'm heading down to San Felipe with my Truck and 35' trailer. Looking for some advise on the border crossing with a long truck and trailer. Also if someone has directions to the toll road that would be appreciated too!!
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2021 at 01:27 PM

Left lane for secondary. They will guide you or wave you thru.

[Edited on 4-25-2021 by PaulW]
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2021 at 01:38 PM

You can take a trailer through no problem. San Luis is very small, and easy to get through.

Hwy 2 is like a 1/4 mile from the border, you can't miss it, the border crossing road goes right to it.

You get your FMM on the right side shortly after crossing. Look on Google Maps for the building.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

BajaRun
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2021 at 01:55 PM

Thanks PaulW and JZ!. I was going to follow up regarding the FMM but now I don't have too!! Looking forward to trying out somethin new..
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2021 at 02:28 PM

Yuma to Mexicali and onto San Felipe. This route kicks you out at the non-busy south end of Mexicali.
At the San Luis Colorado crossing, turn right at the FIRST street after crossing. You're now on the toll road... Mex 2-D. Set your odometer to zero. Toll booth in a few miles.
Drive 49 KM/30 Miles, then take the San Felipe turnoff which crosses over Mex 2.
Drive another 11 KM/7 Miles, get in the right lane and take the exit to San Felipe/Mexicali exit.
You have to travel north towards Mexicali a couple of hundred yards and make a U-Turn. You'll plainly see where others have done so.
You're now heading south on Mex 5 to San Felipe.

If you get your FMM at San Luis, you're better off to park on the USA side and walk across and get it. See location in pic below. Parking is tough to find on the Mexico side. Go through US Customs back to your rig then drive across.
Google Earth is your friend!!

See Nomads thread: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=94922#pid1194...

Pic 2.jpg - 204kB Pic 4.jpg - 246kB

[Edited on 4-25-2021 by KasloKid]

[Edited on 4-25-2021 by KasloKid]
maspacificoII

[*] posted on 4-25-2021 at 03:54 PM

How is San Luis going North? Might be heading up soon and would love to miss Mexicali!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2021 at 04:03 PM

It's way easier than Mexicali, unless you have Sentr, maybe.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2021 at 07:13 PM

Yes, JZ is spot on. San Luis is a lot easier crossing back into the USA than Mexicali.
Getting onto 2D eastbound from Hwy 5 isn't obvious for the first timer.
Going north on Hwy 5, go past (under) 2D and make a U-turn when possible. Get into the right lane, go past (under) 2D and immediately exit right. Pay toll right away then keep going and you'll quickly be on 2D eastbound.

Hwy 5 North to Mex 2D Eastbound.jpg - 212kB
maspacificoII

[*] posted on 4-26-2021 at 04:38 AM

Thanks! Exactly what I needed!
maspacificoII

[*] posted on 4-26-2021 at 04:51 AM

How is San Luis going North? Might be heading up soon and would love to miss Mexicali!
Lexusallterrain

[*] posted on 4-26-2021 at 05:52 AM

If you are towing a trailer you would be better off crossing at Algodones, as soon as you cross there is a very spacious parking lot on the right. You park and go inside the office and get your Permit.
BajaRun
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2021 at 05:54 AM

Thanks KasloKid for the heads up on the FMM, parking on the USA side and walking in and then crossing... I'm familiar with the 2D toll road, usually cross at Algodones when not towing. I would like to try something different than Mexicali while towing.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2021 at 07:10 AM

Been towing a trailer back and forth for 17 years.
Algodones is barely doable both directions. Northbound the US border guard will have to open up the left lane for you because you wont fit in the two right lanes. Going south has tight turns and heavy traffic. And crappy roads that will beat up your trailer.
San Luis is ok going south usually thru secondary. Traffic is heavy, but still ok. Going north the trailer uses the standard left lane and it is hard to avoid the plastic barriers. Not my favorite.
Mexicali East is my favorite both ways. Now days northbound the right standard right lane going north is plenty wide. Timing is very important to avoid the surge due to closing at 2PM and with the trailer it is necessary to approach the border from the south = east by using the airport road in order to avoid a difficult or even impossible U turn when coming the standard way from the west. And that airport route is faster than the Hwy 5 standard route. The north airport road route begins with a right turn at the first Hwy5 signal.
Going south from Algodones, or San Luis uses Mx Hwy 2/2D and the U turn at Hwy 5 is easy because of the wide left turn lane.
And last of all west crossing going south is ok, but you have to compete with the heavy city traffic all the way to MX Hwy 2D. Going north Is unacceptable with a trailer. The route is not functional for trailers.
FMM: Stop at the crossing and ask the guard where to go and follow instructions. Get out and walk the the place directed and leave your rig parked in place.
BajaRun
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2021 at 08:20 AM

PaulW are you saying at San Luis to leave my truck and trailer at the secondary station on the Mexico side and walk to get FMM ?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-26-2021 at 08:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaRun  
PaulW are you saying at San Luis to leave my truck and trailer at the secondary station on the Mexico side and walk to get FMM ?

I read that as advice when crossing southbound at Calexico west.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2021 at 03:00 PM

FYI, David just posted the Pemex at Puertecitos is closed....
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=95969

Top your tank off at San Felipe...
BajaRun
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2021 at 09:34 PM

Is there a Money Exchange on the USA side of the border at San Luis?
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2021 at 09:43 PM

CambiaMax

23339 Main St, San Luis, AZ 85349

BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2021 at 07:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

CambiaMax

23339 Main St, San Luis, AZ 85349

The Cambimax was closed both times I drove through last November and January. Could just be I just got unlucky with their hours or could be Covid related. No se. The King Ranch Market just south on Main street has a cambio that was open at 7am when I got there. Just inside and to the left of the front doors. Seemed to be a competitive rate and they had no problem with changing $500 US. Big parking lot for those towing.

Andy
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-28-2021 at 07:44 AM

I like to hit the road with enough pesos that I do not have to find a cambio when I reach the border. The local Wells Fargo here in northern CA keeps 10,000 pesos or so on hand, and can get more if given advance notice.

I don't remember the exchange rate, but it seemed reasonable at the time, and was worth the convenience.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.