Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: mechanic in La Paz
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2021 at 08:00 PM
mechanic in La Paz

Howdy from Pescadero,

On every trip I expect to suffer at least one mechanical failure per trip, and well, today seems to be the day.

My Toyota Landcruiser needs either a clutch slave or master cylinder (or maybe a rebuild).

The parts are a bit unusual though and may be hard to come by.

I'm not too far from La Paz and that may be my best bet. Can anyone recommend a good mechanic? If not i may try to get to Loreto as i know some folks there and it may be a nicer place to hole up and deal with this.

Traveling the Americas via my old land cruiser
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-27-2021 at 08:16 PM

When I am near La Paz, I usually stay at Campestre Maranatha (about km 11). I needed some work on my Trooper last time I was there in October, and was pleased to find that the maintenance guy there was a competent mechanic, and has his tools at the camp.

He dug right into the project, had parts delivered to the camp and got me going again while all I had to do was enjoy the place I was staying!

I believe his name is Israel or something like that. He would also be a good source for finding another mechanic if for some reason there is more work than he can take on.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 4-27-2021 at 09:15 PM

WAW,

We’re headed down from the States tomorrow. We’ll be passing through La Paz Saturday morning.

Can we bring you anything?
ElCap
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2021 at 09:47 PM

A few years back I needed a master cylinder for my 1987 FJ60 in San Ignacio. A local mechanic was able to order the part and it was delivered to the local auto parts store the next day - I couldn't believe it. Then he installed it, bled the brakes, etc. and it was a fraction of the cost NOB. Not much help I know, but the moral of the story is that you will get it taken care of. Good luck!
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2021 at 05:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
WAW,

We’re headed down from the States tomorrow. We’ll be passing through La Paz Saturday morning.

Can we bring you anything?

I really appreciate tge offer. Challengenisbim not sure the part numbers i need yet. Mine is a 70 series landcruiser and while i think it shares hydraulics with the more common 80 series i'm not yet sure. If i find out its something you can get from napa i may reqch back out. But ibsuspect tye timing wont work.

Either way, thank you ajd enjoy the trip!

Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2021 at 05:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by WideAngleWandering  
Howdy from Pescadero,

On every trip I expect to suffer at least one mechanical failure per trip, and well, today seems to be the day.

My Toyota Landcruiser needs either a clutch slave or master cylinder (or maybe a rebuild).

The parts are a bit unusual though and may be hard to come by.

I'm not too far from La Paz and that may be my best bet. Can anyone recommend a good mechanic? If not i may try to get to Loreto as i know some folks there and it may be a nicer place to hole up and deal with this.

This guy is a "Toyota Certified Mechanic" in La Paz. He works on our Tacoma and I've seen him work on 100 series LCs. He's super solid, friendly and honest.... and speaks English. He orders parts through a friend at the Toyota Dealership there and then just picks it up. Send him a FB message or send me a DM for his Whats App.

https://www.facebook.com/tallermikee/

612 183 1971 (maybe his phone)

Edit-PS- We use an Air BnB that's super affordable that's about 4 blocks from him right in El Centro and it makes things easier. DM me for the link if you want.

[Edited on 4-28-2021 by Beagle]

[Edited on 4-28-2021 by Beagle]
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2021 at 08:56 AM

Many thanks all. Setting off now for La Paz, practing my granny shifts without the clutch. Vamos a ver que pasa.

[Edited on 2021-4-28 by WideAngleWandering]

JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2021 at 08:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
When I am near La Paz, I usually stay at Campestre Maranatha (about km 11). I needed some work on my Trooper last time I was there in October, and was pleased to find that the maintenance guy there was a competent mechanic, and has his tools at the camp.

He dug right into the project, had parts delivered to the camp and got me going again while all I had to do was enjoy the place I was staying!

I believe his name is Israel or something like that. He would also be a good source for finding another mechanic if for some reason there is more work than he can take on.

Can you please be more specific on Campestre Maranatha? The Km marker is not active in google maps therefor it is difficult to locate Km 11. There is a Campestre Maranatha leaving La Paz towards North in Chametla (in Mexico there are always more than 50 locations with the same name)

[Edited on 4-28-2021 by JC43]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-28-2021 at 09:30 AM

Lencho located it correctly. It is a long standing, family run campground, RV park, and event hosting location.

They also have some rooms to rent, and since I travel with a dog, there are a couple of very basic cabins that they allow me to have my dog in.

Here is a video link; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2w_WnorVTE

There is no mechanic shop, Israel (sp?) is an employee of the camp, who was working on their John Deere tractor while I was staying there. He was willing and able to work on my Isuzu with the blessings of the management, and it was extremely convenient, and affordable for me!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2021 at 10:10 AM

I made contact with Beagle's mechanic. They only do new parts and he doubts he can get them for my obscure rig, but it is completely rebuildable and he'll dorect me to someone who can do so with local parts. Or if im not able to make it onto town (i am granny shifting without clutch to the extent possible) i may just stop at Maranatha and see if Israel is around. One way or another im sure we'll get this sorted.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2021 at 11:23 AM

Wish you the best of luck getting the rig handled inexpensively and fast.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2021 at 03:07 PM

Driving into La Paz with minimal clutch was interesting. Made it though, and I've been directed to a shop (Frenos y Refacciones Kino) that has found the bad seal and is going to town on it now. :bounce:

[Edited on 2021-4-28 by WideAngleWandering]

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2021 at 03:51 PM

and Life is good!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2021 at 04:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  

Can you please be more specific on Campestre Maranatha?

There is an Exquisito in front of Maranatha.
https://restaurantguru.com/Cafe-Exquisito-La-Paz-6

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2021 at 06:00 PM

Half the fun of living in a country like Mexico is solving these types problems and the sense of accomplishment when it is done. I love it.
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2021 at 07:34 PM

I know a repair shop just one block behind the Aramburo on La Catolica.
Its on Calle Cuauhthemoc. Very professional. All kinds of electronic devices to figure out problems on a car. And a lot of mechanics on duty. Well, with a car without any electronics ----- maybe it makes no real sense going there. But i.e. they can figure out if your spark plugs are o.k. or not.

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2021 at 08:33 AM

not sure why la paz was chosen. i know several good mechanics in pesky and todos
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-29-2021 at 08:33 AM

Little advice always replace both clutch slave and master cylinder . Never one or the other
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2021 at 09:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by WideAngleWandering  
I made contact with Beagle's mechanic. They only do new parts and he doubts he can get them for my obscure rig, but it is completely rebuildable and he'll dorect me to someone who can do so with local parts. Or if im not able to make it onto town (i am granny shifting without clutch to the extent possible) i may just stop at Maranatha and see if Israel is around. One way or another im sure we'll get this sorted.

There is two parts store somewhere in the Padre Kino area. One just steps north of Padre Kino in a side street. The other one some blocks down of PK. They do have nearly all parts. If not they can order it. These two part stores are the stores with the most parts available in La Paz. But you got to ask a Mexican in that area. A mechanic from i.e. Fidepaz would never drive to Padre Kino to get a part. They just don`t do it.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2021 at 09:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Little advice always replace both clutch slave and master cylinder . Never one or the other

excellent counsel.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.