BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Anyone been on Mikes Sky Ranch to Coyote recently?
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2021 at 03:21 PM
Anyone been on Mikes Sky Ranch to Coyote recently?

I'm heading that way in a few days with my long wheelbase hzj75 Landcruiser with a 2" lift on 33s, with another 60 series landcruiser wagon (similarly lifted and with a winch), and a Toyota tacoma in caravan.

I last drove this route in 2012 in my previous hj60 wagon and hoping to do a repeat. The cruisers will happily take a beating but my long wheel base may requite some maneuvering on the tight turns. The Tacoma has hung with us on the road from La Ventana to Los Barriles and from Ciudad Constitucion to San Evaristo with no issues so far.

I expect the road to Ranco El Coyote to be a bit more challenging but doable if it hasnt chamged too much from what i recall.

We plan to spend the night up in San Pedro Martir.

[Edited on 2021-4-28 by WideAngleWandering]

Traveling the Americas via my old land cruiser
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-28-2021 at 03:37 PM

call the park -- I think they are only open weekends (thurs-Sunday), and not sure if camping is allowed.
They have lots of rules for covid, dont know if rules have relaxed...

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2021 at 04:37 PM

Good points - thanks for the tips. I'll look into that. We may drive the route anyway just for fun and camp out near coyote or meling.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-28-2021 at 05:23 PM

Mike's to Coyote has not been given high marks. Not like in the good old days when that was the main route in. I last drove it in my previous 4x4 Tacoma in 2005.
In 2017, I encounters a real steep but short section over granite that was a detour made to get around a washout, going from Coyote towards Mike's. My rear brakes locked up so I never finished that drive other than to get back to El Coyote to make a temp fix thanks to Larry 'bajatrailrider' (vise grips) and Mike Diogo (rubber tube) at El Coyote.

[Edited on 4-29-2021 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-28-2021 at 06:10 PM

What way are you going to coyotes .I go there all the time. If from San Rafael canyon forget it real bad .
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 4-29-2021 at 09:43 AM

You could probably make it but will have body or mechanical damage. We did it on bikes a month or so ago. Fun ride.
ztrab
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2021 at 09:52 AM

Did it April 11 on my 500 M/C. Take it slow and you should be okay, Lots of ruts, loose rock, etc. From Mike's we did it in under an hour, probably could have done it in 45 minutes but we took the closed road, don't recommend that in your long wheel based vehicle. Mike
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2021 at 10:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
What way are you going to coyotes .I go there all the time. If from San Rafael canyon forget it real bad .

I'm not sure where San Rafael Canyon is (dont have a map in frony of me) but i was thinking we'd come up through Laguna Diablo to hwy 3, then the easy dirt road to Mikes Sky Ranch, and go up over the hill to Coyote before getting on the pavement to San Pedro Martir.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2021 at 10:40 AM

Mike's Sky Ranch is in the San Rafael River "canyon" so that is possibly what Larry means?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2021 at 11:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by WideAngleWandering  

I'm not sure where San Rafael Canyon is (dont have a map in frony of me) but i was thinking we'd come up through Laguna Diablo to hwy 3, then the easy dirt road to Mikes Sky Ranch, and go up over the hill to Coyote before getting on the pavement to San Pedro Martir.

Is San Rafael Canyon the route that goes past Rancho Garate?

Top half of the screenshot:

San Rafael canyon.jpg - 299kB

[Edited on 4-29-2021 by KasloKid]
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2021 at 01:05 PM

Bottom half of the screenshot:

San Rafael canyon 1A.jpg - 280kB
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2021 at 01:16 PM

It starts off hwy 1 before Colonet as far motos . I go everywhere I have many off road trucks . Also sxs. Would it be fun Mike's to Coyotes on 4 wheels . Hell no just beating you on rocks and rock ledges . Sadly the only remaining route .Fun for 5 wheels Dark Canyon Score found it raced it then came big rain . No no go 4 wheels to coyote .
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2021 at 05:31 PM
Gate?

We were at Mike's this past Monday and I asked about the road to Coyote and Mike Jr and another fellow that works there both said that there is a locked gate along the way.....

Now, I'm not sure about which route the gate would be on because we weren't intending on going out that way so I didn't ask for more detail.

Just FYI

John M
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2021 at 06:15 PM

They are charging money again to pass locked gate . This will change again after they go to court the second time. 5 or 10 bucks you can pass.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2021 at 09:50 PM

It starts off hwy 1 before Colonet as far motos . I go everywhere I have many off road trucks . Also sxs. Would it be fun Mike's to Coyotes on 4 wheels . Hell no just beating you on rocks and rock ledges . Sadly the only remaining route .Fun for 5 wheels Dark Canyon Score found it raced it then came big rain . No no go 4 wheels to coyote .

Km. 118:

2018-6.jpg - 104kB

WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2021 at 08:08 AM

Well that's discouraging. If my real goal were to get from San Felipe to San Pedro Martir via Mikes Sky Ranch would there be another passable route (possibly avoiding rancho coyote and the rock ledges)?

WideAngleWandering
Nomad

lol.gif posted on 4-30-2021 at 08:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
call the park -- I think they are only open weekends (thurs-Sunday), and not sure if camping is allowed.
They have lots of rules for covid, dont know if rules have relaxed...

I called them and right after the message "the government of baja california is here to serve you" it hangs up. :lol: i emailed them and the mail bounced.

But it seems they have a Facebook page that says they are open Sun-Thurs for day use only. I guess theres no escaping FB these days.

ztrab
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2021 at 04:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
We were at Mike's this past Monday and I asked about the road to Coyote and Mike Jr and another fellow that works there both said that there is a locked gate along the way.....

Now, I'm not sure about which route the gate would be on because we weren't intending on going out that way so I didn't ask for more detail.

Just FYI

John M

N31 03.058 W115 43.259 this should be really close to the split in the trail from Mike's to El Coyote. I didn't waypoint it but I started down that trail and turned back because my buddy wanted to take the closed road. I made a waypoint off my actual track... the closed road goes to the 5 dollar gate and the open road appears to be right on the other side of the fence/gate (it's not locked but a cowboy showed as soon as we got there). There were two signs, Open Road & Closed Road. Looking at my track from 2 years earlier going from El Coyote to Mike' I took the trail that connects at the waypoint - there was no gate on that section, so unless some put a another gate up on the "Open Road" since Feb 2019, I don't think there is one. It's worth a few bucks to ride either one regardless.
ztrab
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2021 at 04:23 PM

Well that's discouraging. If my real goal were to get from San Felipe to San Pedro Martir via Mikes Sky Ranch would there be another passable route (possibly avoiding rancho coyote and the rock ledges)?[/rquote]

Take the Vineyard crossover, it's just west of Valle Trinidad aka Laz. Card##as, easy graded road for the most part. You can take H5 to H3 to VT or more fun trai
l from H3 via Laguna Diablo.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2021 at 05:01 PM

Yes if you do that visit me I'm 15 min from hwy 1. Like to look at your rigs .
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.