Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Easiest Border Crossing with trailer from San Felipe north
BajaOkie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2021 at 04:21 PM
Easiest Border Crossing with trailer from San Felipe north

Looking for some recommendations on the easiest border crossing north from San Felipe with a trailer. Heading towards Las Vegas with a truck camper and a 25 foot trailer. Thanks
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2021 at 07:40 AM

just a quick story I'll relate from my last trip north to get vaxed.
we were in a pickup no trailer. we often do. have a trailer.
intending to cross at tecate, we were 3 cars from the gate when the clock struck 2pm and the border closed. we had to drive 50 yards forward, and make a tight u-turn around concrete barriers. without a trailer it was well tighter than the turning radius of my f150. it took several cuts to make the turn.
the point here...it would have evolved into a real cluster flock if even a small trailer was involved.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2021 at 07:51 AM

Mexicali East. It closes at 2pm right now though.

[Edited on 4-29-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2021 at 03:19 PM

BajaOkie,
The info you need was just posted
I will repeat
Tioloco wrote on 2/ 28
I cross at San Luis weekly. While pulling a 35' trailer you will have a very tough time making it thru the secondary/declaration line (On the left side of the port of entry) in San Luis. What I do and is what is the norm when crossing Southbound at San Luis with a large trailer or boat is to use the far right lane southbound.

As you approach, Mexican Customs will see you and have you stop in the far right lane under the ramada. They will place a cone behind your vehicle effectively closing the lane off while they look at your documents. (There are several other lanes open)

The office to get FMM, etc. will be directly to your right. Once you are clear to proceed you will travel straight ahead approximately 300 feet to the traffic light and make a right turn onto Ave. Obregon (also is the toll road).
=== === .
I wrote on 4/23
Been towing a trailer back and forth for 17 years.
Algodones is barely doable both directions. Northbound the US border guard will have to open up the left lane for you because you wont fit in the two right lanes. Going south has tight turns and heavy traffic. And crappy roads that will beat up your trailer.
San Luis is ok going south usually thru secondary. Traffic is heavy, but still ok. Going north the trailer uses the standard left lane and it is hard to avoid the plastic barriers. Not my favorite.
Mexicali East is my favorite both ways. Now days northbound the right standard right lane going north is plenty wide. Timing is very important to avoid the surge due to closing at 2PM and with the trailer it is necessary to approach the border from the south = east by using the airport road in order to avoid a difficult or even impossible U turn when coming the standard way from the west. And that airport route is faster than the Hwy 5 standard route. The north airport road route begins with a right turn at the first Hwy5 signal.
Going south from Algodones, or San Luis uses Mx Hwy 2/2D and the U turn at Hwy 5 is easy because of the wide left turn lane.
And last of all west crossing going south is ok, but you have to compete with the heavy city traffic all the way to MX Hwy 2D. Going north Is unacceptable with a trailer. The route is not functional for trailers.
FMM: Stop at the crossing and ask the guard where to go and follow instructions. Get out and walk the the place directed and leave your rig parked in place.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.