BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Paz casas de cambio
fatchance

[*] posted on 5-3-2021 at 09:52 AM
La Paz casas de cambio

I need to buy pesos in LP. My bank nicks me on foreign transaction fees so I would avoid using ATM this time. Any suggestions on banks or casas de cambio for the best tipo de cambio?
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2021 at 10:33 AM

Not sure if there is a branch of "San Jorge" casa de cambio in La Paz, (many branches in the Republic).

Good exchange rate, regularly used for those without local bank accounts to exchange currency.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2021 at 11:03 AM

Banks won’t change dollars unless you have an account with them. Best to get a credit card with no foreign money charges. Even then you will be hit with an ATM fee from the local bank. Wells Fargo has an Express Send agreement with BBVA where you can send money from your USA account, to yourself, or anyone else, on line. It has to be set up in the US first. Good exchange rate and only a 5 dollar transaction charge. Maybe other banks have similar arrangements. Check with yours.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 5-3-2021 at 11:26 AM

On a recent 15,000 peso ATM withdrawal from my credit union I incurred the following:

757.92 USD deducted from account.
    49 pesos charged by Banorte in TS.
    7.58 USD charged by my bank.

I thought it convenient and reasonable. It seems that Casas de Cambios are all over the place in terms of their exchange rates and fees.

I have yet to investigate the $5 wire to a Mexican bank trick but it sounds intriguing.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2021 at 12:46 PM

For ATM exchanges, Schwab Debit Card is the go to as no in house fees, and all outside bank fees are refunded by Schwab.

Just remember to deny the exchange rate offered by the ATMs now by clicking on the box on the lower left, (usually an additional 5% or more to the bank), the transaction goes through as intended with the better exchange rate.

After simple registration at Casa De Cambio "San Jorge", they give a very good exchange rate for larger exchanges, better than most banks.

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 5-3-2021 at 02:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cancamo  
For ATM exchanges, Schwab Debit Card is the go to as no in house fees, and all outside bank fees are refunded by Schwab.

Just remember to deny the exchange rate offered by the ATMs now by clicking on the box on the lower left, (usually an additional 5% or more to the bank), the transaction goes through as intended with the better exchange rate.

After simple registration at Casa De Cambio "San Jorge", they give a very good exchange rate for larger exchanges, better than most banks.

I wonder if Fidelity does the same.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.