Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Off road 2 way radio
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-17-2021 at 09:12 AM

Yeah, I mentioned the FT-2900R, but I think the latest version of that is the 2980. 75 watts. 2 meter.

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-17-2021 at 09:36 AM

We now have switched from Jeeps to RZRs. In Jepps we generally kept using CBs with amplifiers. However, in the RZRs we are all using Rugged Radios transceivers. They are good for about 20+ miles. The antenna placement, ground plane (for the antenna) and type of antenna are all very important.

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm guessing in most situations a 5 to 10 mile range would cover most all of our needs when looking to talk to someone that may have made a wrong turn and end up going the wrong way and gotten away from the group. Most of our riding is in the hills and the marine radios, and especially the handheld radios suffer for range in the hills. Most of us are using the Tram 6db whip antennas. Maybe there is a better choice for antennas also. If just 2 or 3 of us had the better radios we could probably keep the group under control in most cases.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2021 at 11:23 AM

Hook, the 2180 highest power setting is 80watts

UDO. Rugged is an excellent source for radios and they specialize in the latest off sxs rigs. The company is unjustified by the bad mouthing of the racer guys because they do not like the competition for their favorite radio supplier. I really like their version to the Baofeng 5r radio and do not mind the small extra cost. Having said all that I still rely on Google to find my parts and always read reviews on Amazon.

BTW, these radios we are discussing have the ability to transmit on illegal frequencies in the USA. So none of them are recommended for use in the states. Baja only
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2021 at 11:45 AM

I have a FT-2900 and a FT-7900 I'm selling for a friend after I check them out and make sure they work OK. I use a Yaesu FT-2600M with a mag mount antenna on the roof of my Tacoma when I'm with friends in the desert or Baja. I normally run it on low power which I think is 10 watts. I also have several Baofeng UV-5R handheld radios. Thank goodness for the key lockout feature.

What Mr. Bills and Udo said above is good info.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2021 at 12:35 PM

Here is what I use:

Truck radio:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0779CN8X9/ref=ox_sc_act_t...

Two handhelds for the bikes:
https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-BF-F8HP-Two-Way-136-174MHz-40...

Mag mount antenna:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018EUB8DU/ref=oh_aui_deta...

The Yaesu came with the MARS/CAP Modification done for you. Looks like Amazon caught on and they aren't selling that version anymore.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2021 at 01:09 PM

Obtaining an amateur radio license opens the ability to use much more power, and many more frequencies. We sailed in the Sea of Cortez for over 20 years (and spent many years exploring 4X4 Baja), and always stayed in touch with HF radio. As small as a CB, but running 100 watts on the HF bands, these HF mobile radios allow constant contact world wide. If you have the power available you can run up to 1000 watts. We used Winlink and a Pactor modem to do e-mail several times a day. Hundreds of stations are available worldwide as e-mail gateways. Simply contacted one in the USA and connected to Internet e-mail. Unlike 2 meter and marine VHF, signals on HF are not line-of-sight. Vehicle to vehicle or boat to boat communication was always consistent. Directional antennas are not usually required (I used a loaded vertical whip). You can choose your ham band (80, 40, 20 meters, etc. for best results)

Used a phone patch with a fellow ham to talk to stateside family regularly. Blue sky, nice breeze, boat heeled over and quietly sailing along talking to our daughter on her phone at home. Never felt far away.

Jack N1IY
https://winlink.org/
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2021 at 01:20 PM
update

Currently the Mexican Government does not grant reciprocal amateur radio licenses to holders of a license in the USA. Ours was granted years ago and we had a Mexican license prefix. Some are working on it, hopefully reciprocal licensing with Mexico can happen again. Meanwhile....
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2021 at 01:40 PM

Correct Jack,
Ham is not appropriate for Mexico.
Commercial frequency band is what we all use. (Mexico only).
Sure enough we Ham folks still are using in Mexico with no enforcement issues.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2021 at 05:17 PM

Update: I followed most of your advice and ended up with a Kenwood TM 281a w/mars mod, and an antenna for that radio plus the right cable. Once I get it down here I'll let you know how it works out.
We're doing a ride this Saturday over to the west coast from BoLA and back that afternoon, I won't have the radio by then but it should be a fun one. Lots of exploring to do over there.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2021 at 08:18 PM

The Kenwood TM281a is a rock solid 2 meter radio. I have one in my jeep. You will like it.

KG6LMV
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-19-2021 at 08:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mr. Bills  
The Kenwood TM281a is a rock solid 2 meter radio. I have one in my jeep. You will like it.

KG6LMV

Just now, I decided to check on line to see what one of these units would cost. Two different sites say it is discontinued by the manufacturer!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2021 at 06:07 AM

Correct.
Try Ebay for discontinued stuff.
Or get the Yaesu FT-2900R which is comparable.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2021 at 07:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
We now have switched from Jeeps to RZRs. In Jepps we generally kept using CBs with amplifiers. However, in the RZRs we are all using Rugged Radios transceivers. They are good for about 20+ miles. The antenna placement, ground plane (for the antenna) and type of antenna are all very important.

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm guessing in most situations a 5 to 10 mile range would cover most all of our needs when looking to talk to someone that may have made a wrong turn and end up going the wrong way and gotten away from the group. Most of our riding is in the hills and the marine radios, and especially the handheld radios suffer for range in the hills. Most of us are using the Tram 6db whip antennas. Maybe there is a better choice for antennas also. If just 2 or 3 of us had the better radios we could probably keep the group under control in most cases.

Udo
There's probably 10 of us here with rzr's and we're having a ball doing some exploring in the hills here around BoLA. Early June I'm going down to San Francisquito to visit a friend and from there will do some exploring. I'd like to go out to Santa Gertrudis and see that area and also El Arco, Pozo Aleman and just follow some old roads and trails. Are you still in Asuncion and is that where you do most of your riding?

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2021 at 10:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

KG6LMV

Just now, I decided to check on line to see what one of these units would cost. Two different sites say it is discontinued by the manufacturer!

Available in Canada..
https://www.gpscentral.ca/products/kenwood/tm-281a.html
Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2021 at 04:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KasloKid  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

KG6LMV

Available in Canada..
https://www.gpscentral.ca/products/kenwood/tm-281a.html

As of May 20, 2021, the Kenwood TM-281a 2 meter ham radio is available at Ham Radio Outlet for $215.95.

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-011362
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.