Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Living and working remotely in Baja
AlizeOeildeLynx

[*] posted on 5-15-2021 at 12:30 PM
Living and working remotely in Baja

Hi !
I plan to live and work remotely in Baja California for a month in November. I would like to stay fairly close to the US border (less than 10 hours drive).
Do you have any suggestions for small or medium-sized cities (near the Pacific coast) that are not very touristy but still have good internet connection and amenities? I would also love it if there were some nice hikes or places to discover in the area (I would have my car).
I was thinking of Ensenada, which seems to me really too touristy, or Guerrero Negro. Maybe you will have better ideas :)
Thank you !
Alize
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-15-2021 at 01:35 PM

El Rosario is 5-6 hours from the border. It is at the end of the power grid and cell towers, which begins again at Guerrero Negro. That would be at the end or just beyond your 10 hour limit.
We love El Rosario as a non- tourist, get-away town. A nice sand beach is just a few miles away. Lot's of historical or natural wonders are there or in the vicinity. The many restaurants, stores, and excellent accomodations (Baja Cactus Motel, Baja's Best B&B, etc.) make El Rosario a great place to be part of a Mexican community experience.

You won't hear many other kind words for this town because most don't spend time there as they rush on to Cabo or other popular spots.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AlizeOeildeLynx

[*] posted on 5-15-2021 at 02:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

Ensenada fascinates me: My experiences there have been that it's two different towns, one of them distinctly Mexican without a lot of tourist impact. You can probably experience either depending on your choices.

Oh that would be nice. Do you know wich areas are less touristy ? Thank you !!

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

We love El Rosario as a non- tourist, get-away town.

Thank you so much for this advice, I will definitly look into that !

[Edited on 5-15-2021 by AlizeOeildeLynx]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2021 at 02:37 PM

Boy, if I were you, I would fly to La Paz where you definitely have the choice to be near gringos or very far away.

So much to discover. Super fast internet. In spite of having a large gringo population, La Paz maintains it's Mexican feel. Hiking all over the place.

You can fly then rent a car for a month. Flights are quite inexpensive.

Unbelievably beautiful beaches.

Ensenada and surrounding areas are very wonderful too.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-15-2021 at 10:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AlizeOeildeLynx  
Hi !
I plan to live and work remotely in Baja California for a month in November. I would like to stay fairly close to the US border (less than 10 hours drive).
Do you have any suggestions for small or medium-sized cities (near the Pacific coast) that are not very touristy but still have good internet connection and amenities? I would also love it if there were some nice hikes or places to discover in the area (I would have my car).
I was thinking of Ensenada, which seems to me really too touristy, or Guerrero Negro. Maybe you will have better ideas :)
Thank you !
Alize

Look at La Paz and Ensenada. Nice nedium-size cities. Not sure why you are looking at GN, have you been there??

Ensenada is short drive to USA. La paz is short/cheap flight to TJ (or USA).

All nice cities in baja attract tourists to some some degree. Ensenada is not too touristy, just avoid the tourist street downtown…. If you want no tourists, choose one of the undesirable cities, if that is your cup of tea.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2021 at 11:46 PM

I'd pick La Paz over Ensenda in a heart beat.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

tbnoble
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2021 at 07:13 AM

I live and work south of San Quintin and north of El Rosario. Since I teach online for colleges in the US, internet was a major consideration for me, not had a problem with Telnor in my 4 years living here. I have the ocean at my doorstep and the mountains behind that provide me with swimming and mountain biking, my wife walks the beach and the dunes daily but this area has much less social activity than any of the towns, you get to figure out what works for you much like we did.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 5-16-2021 at 10:20 AM

San Ignacio, you can get there in 10 hours down Mex 5. Maybe La Bocana - Blanca, how if the wifi in your neck of the cactus?
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 5-16-2021 at 11:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AlizeOeildeLynx  
Hi !
Thank you !
Alize

amenities? Only when tourists are around
good internet? in some surprising places, but often not where you would want it
hikes? translates to lotsa tourists

San Quintin seems closest for what you want
make absolutely clear that the place you are renting has fiber optics connected (a working contract) - "available in the area" mean only that. If they are out of capacity you won't get it.

Harald Pietschmann
AlizeOeildeLynx

[*] posted on 5-17-2021 at 05:43 AM

Thank you all for those recommandations !! :)
Have a nice day !
Disastrogirl

[*] posted on 5-18-2021 at 10:18 AM

La Paz would be great in November.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-18-2021 at 10:42 AM

Less than 10 hour drive from the border was a requirement, or about 500 miles.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.