Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: San Francisco de la Sierra village 5/15/21
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2021 at 08:29 PM
San Francisco de la Sierra village 5/15/21

We took a day trip up to San Francisco de la Sierra yesterday. It was one of those exquisitely beautiful, not too hot and not too cold days, just a slight breeze in the air.

My Mom had been wanting to go for many years but it never quite worked out for us to be able to go til yesterday.

Here are some photos of the village. There are 17 families living here. They need visitors since the cave painting excursion just opened up last month. There is a severe draught which is killing off their cattle, sheep and goats. The situation is dire.

The first family we ran into was Bartolo Arce Arce and his wife. I had come to this village years ago and what I most remembered was the garden. It is still as beautiful as ever.

Bartolo said he had a store so we stopped in it and bought some water. The bottle of water was not in the fridge but it was so cool. The store/house is 150 years old and made of adobe. It belonged to his grandfather.

Les in a very short doorway!

Here is a really nicely painted mural which I guess is their version of the lettered signs we see all over Mexico nowadays.

We went to the village first before we even went to the restaurant for the tickets to visit the cave, It was 150 pesos each person and 250 pesos for the guide.

We needed to use the restroom, which was inside the mural bldg. It was easily one of the most disgusting I have ever been to. I bet the restaurant one is better.

The village is simple but magical! I had no time to prepare or I would have taken care packages and clothes!

[Edited on 5-17-2021 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-17-2021 at 10:10 AM

Thank you, Blanca!:light::bounce:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2021 at 10:48 AM

In all the years I've been going to Baja I've past the turn off probably a hundred times always wondering what was back there. I've wanted to go there but just never did. Someday I hope to.

Thanks Blanca.

[Edited on 5-17-2021 by TMW]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-17-2021 at 11:10 AM

I have been up there once a few years ago. I mistakenly thought there was a road or trail headed east that would connect to the Sea of Cortez.

I spent a while looking around (no cave tour) then headed back down the hill. No regrets...it was a spectacular dead end!

TMW, I would not mind a return trip, sound off when you start planning your next trip! I have a large dog that I need to plan around, but that leaves a hell of a lot of possibilities!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2021 at 11:49 AM

Your on AK
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-17-2021 at 12:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
In all the years I've been going to Baja I've past the turn off probably a hundred times always wondering what was back there. I've wanted to go there but just never did. Someday I hope to.

Thanks Blanca.

[Edited on 5-17-2021 by TMW]

The road is worth a drive, to just drive to end of pavement.

Several times when passing by the turnoff I have driven up just to do a short hike to one of the canyon overlooks and eat lunch (good way to break up a long drive, stretch the legs). Is only a 20 minute drive off the main hwy to see to some really fabulous scenery. The canyon overlooks from the road are spectacular.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-17-2021 at 12:48 PM

The pavement ends 18 miles from Mex 1, which is four miles before reaching the village.

This is not the only place where the paving on a road just ended before reaching its destination. Laguna San Ignacio is also past the paving by 6 miles.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2021 at 01:42 PM

There are some paved patches even after the regular asphalt ends which makes the drive easier. I love a tame adventure hahaha

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-17-2021 at 03:48 PM

When I was there, I saw that the sides of the dirt road near the village were lined with white washed rocks. It looked nice, and I suppose that at that elevation, they probably experience fog when a weather front passes through.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2021 at 07:56 PM

You could not pay me enough money to drive that road in the fog.

Come visit La Bocana

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.