Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: New Border Crossing in Otay Mesa
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2021 at 04:04 PM
New Border Crossing in Otay Mesa

It is going to be east of the current Otay crossing. It's going to be a toll crossing, maybe as high as $20. The amount has not been decided yet.

The link below is to a survey to collect prospective user's opinions. Tell them what you think.

https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/6340170/Bi-National-Border-Tr...

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Alan
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-23-2021 at 09:21 AM

Sweet. It would be nice to be able to just take short trips again. I haven't bothered with day or weekend trips to the Rosarito/Ensenada area for years because it just isn't worth the border wait.

In Memory of E-57
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2021 at 10:02 AM

The region is the busiest land border crossing in the world. It will be nice to have additional capacity. We live 26 miles north of the border and have a small casita on the beach 35 miles south. We go down a lot (especially pre-Covid). Sometimes just for the day if surf is good or need a Yaqui fix or to restock the mezcal/tequila collection or paddle the kayaks out to kelp beds for some fish or visit family and friends who might be staying at the casa or play a round of golf at Bajamar. We go to TJ for breakfast at La Fachada or on down to the Valle for an afternoon wine taster and some dinner. Family got the house in 1960 when I was 2 years old. I remember as a kid tricky Dick Nixon's 'operation intercept' and 4 hour waits to cross and having to pee into a bottle. We have had Sentri since 1999.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 5-23-2021 at 11:02 AM

ridiculous, they don't need another border crossing they just need to man what they have!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2021 at 11:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
ridiculous, they don't need another border crossing they just need to man what they have!

That's right. The Sunday rush is on at San Ysidro and there are closed lanes. Have they ever manned the second booth added to each lane?

At the end of the survey I linked to above there is a textbox for entering comments. I suggested they use the current facilities as they were designed to be used. Hire some people for goodness sake.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-23-2021 at 12:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
It is going to be east of the current Otay crossing. It's going to be a toll crossing, maybe as high as $20. The amount has not been decided yet.

The link below is to a survey to collect prospective user's opinions. Tell them what you think.

https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/6340170/Bi-National-Border-Tr...

That survey went on and on, I quit as it took to long.

Just staff the existing border, problem would be solved.

A private toll-funded operation is just private sector filling in for dysfunctional government. Fire the bums in Homeland Security, and hire people that know how to serve customers!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2021 at 03:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
Family got the house in 1960 when I was 2 years old. I remember as a kid tricky Dick Nixon's 'operation intercept' and 4 hour waits to cross and having to pee into a bottle. We have had Sentri since 1999.

Tricky Dick - blast from the past had to check it out - even has a WIKI page. Boy that had to have been the shortest lived government program in the history of the world. 2 year olds having to have a pee test ? wow. Or mom and dad had a VW van with flowers all over it put you into the bad lane. My how times have changed!

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around Life During Wartime - Talking Heads '79
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-26-2021 at 07:31 PM

I think peeing into a bottle was the option to wetting one's pants, or worse, during a long border line wait?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

del mar
Banned

[*] posted on 6-30-2021 at 11:00 AM

well looks like a done deal......no complaints here!
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-06-29/californ...
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2021 at 11:34 AM

Back in the day, I didn't have a bottle, but had to leave the driving to the girlfriend, sprint up past 30 cars in the line back
to the US, was a considerate US Customs guy who laughed and directed me to the restroom, got lucky

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 6-30-2021 at 11:43 AM

"Toll collection will be for both northbound and southbound traffic. The revenue will be divided between the U.S. and Mexico, added Mario Orso, project director with Caltrans."

Anybody else see the problem here?

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
del mar
Banned

[*] posted on 6-30-2021 at 11:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
"Toll collection will be for both northbound and southbound traffic. The revenue will be divided between the U.S. and Mexico, added Mario Orso, project director with Caltrans."

nope!
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2021 at 12:11 PM

nope!

Doesn't say anything about the revenue being split equally and with the vast majority of the tolls being collected northbound I can't imagine the US isn't going to make the argument they are doing most of the work hence they deserve most of the revenue.

Who is going to pay going south? Doesn't make any sense.

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2021 at 12:23 PM

M - F afternoon southbound rush hours, 3 PM to 6 PM or so at San Ysidro can be up to an hour wait. Weekend and holiday traffic is heavy too. Traffic backs up 805 and 5 and it's only going to get worse. Especially if the Americans decide they need to inspect southbound traffic. The inspection infrastructure is there, but usually unmanned. Folks living on the east side of TJ, where the growth is, will pay.

[Edited on 6-30-2021 by SFandH]

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-30-2021 at 12:34 PM

nope!

Doesn't say anything about the revenue being split equally and with the vast majority of the tolls being collected northbound I can't imagine the US isn't going to make the argument they are doing most of the work hence they deserve most of the revenue.

Article explains a little about costs/funding, and explains that all tolls will be collected on USA side of border:
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/latest/story/2021-06-29...

Southbound users/payers will be people or shippers that find it in their interest to pay a toll. I suspect shippers will pay to use crossing when it is economically beneficial to do so.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

del mar
Banned

[*] posted on 6-30-2021 at 02:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

M - F afternoon southbound rush hours, 3 PM to 6 PM or so at San Ysidro can be up to an hour wait. Weekend and holiday traffic is heavy too. Traffic backs up 805 and 5 and it's only going to get worse. Especially if the Americans decide they need to inspect southbound traffic. The inspection infrastructure is there, but usually unmanned. Folks living on the east side of TJ, where the growth is, will pay.

absolutely! and it goes without saying no ones gonna be forced to use this toll crossing:rolleyes:...and its gonna make a positive impact on the other crossings. I cross north maybe 4 times a year, this will be great:D
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2021 at 10:47 PM

I cross north maybe 4 times a year, this will be great:D

Ok, I'm gonna go with a JZ mantra here, something we actually agree on.

Lets say they hit their 20 minute time, they won't but whatever, and lets say the toll is $5, probably more like $20 but let's say $5. You cross 4 times a year and the new crossing is the only one you can use to get across in 20 minutes and the cost is $20 for the year.

Why in the hell wouldn't, haven't you gotten GE or Sentri? 8 out of 10 times I cross is like stopping at a traffic light and the longest I've waited is no more than 15 minutes, and, you could use any crossing you want other than Tecate.

The point is that the whole idea sounds like a giant boondoggle that is going to waste a bunch of money, not do what they say it will and be a bad deal for Mexico because at some point the US goons are not going to give Mexico the money negotiated in the deal. The fact that the US has mandated the tolls each direction are collected on the north side of the border should be a red flag in itself.

Harald Pietschmann

Bajazly, August 2019
del mar
Banned

[*] posted on 6-30-2021 at 11:19 PM

I cross north maybe 4 times a year, this will be great:D

Ok, I'm gonna go with a JZ mantra here, something we actually agree on.

Lets say they hit their 20 minute time, they won't but whatever, and lets say the toll is $5, probably more like $20 but let's say $5. You cross 4 times a year and the new crossing is the only one you can use to get across in 20 minutes and the cost is $20 for the year.

Why in the hell wouldn't, haven't you gotten GE or Sentri? 8 out of 10 times I cross is like stopping at a traffic light and the longest I've waited is no more than 15 minutes, and, you could use any crossing you want other than Tecate.

The point is that the whole idea sounds like a giant boondoggle that is going to waste a bunch of money, not do what they say it will and be a bad deal for Mexico because at some point the US goons are not going to give Mexico the money negotiated in the deal. The fact that the US has mandated the tolls each direction are collected on the north side of the border should be a red flag in itself.

well sorry buddy they're building it, get over it:smug:
apple
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2021 at 08:59 AM

This will be great for those who can afford it, but the vast majority of users won't be able to and will still need to wait hours to cross. Another great example of the government making the lives of the wealthy easier, while allowing the poor to continue to suffer.
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2021 at 09:03 AM

The arguments against this are the same that were used against the CBX. Seems this is a win/win to me.

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.