Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: New Border Crossing in Otay Mesa
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2021 at 09:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by apple  
This will be great for those who can afford it, but the vast majority of users won't be able to and will still need to wait hours to cross. Another great example of the government making the lives of the wealthy easier, while allowing the poor to continue to suffer.

I understand what you're saying but the "vast majority" of poor people don't drive across the border. Most can't get the required visa. And, this will ease the burden on the other Otay and San Ysidro crossings. Think of the toll as a tax on the people who can afford to pay it.

Just a thought.

[Edited on 7-1-2021 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-1-2021 at 10:04 AM

Time is money... If you can sit in line for two hours, just how much is that worth to you? $5 for 15 minutes beats two hours for free, doesn't it? Maybe a gecko with an accent can make it more appealing?

Seriously, we here in San Diego were told that the larger San Ysidro crossing they recently finished building would eliminate the crazy long lines! The only problem is that they never seem to have all the new gates manned at the same time, so no improvement there. :rolleyes:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 7-1-2021 at 10:09 AM

What exactly is going to make these 5 to 10 new lanes go faster?

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
apple
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2021 at 01:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
What exactly is going to make these 5 to 10 new lanes go faster?

Mostly the fact that a lot of crossers won't be willing or able to pay the fee
apple
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2021 at 01:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Time is money... If you can sit in line for two hours, just how much is that worth to you? $5 for 15 minutes beats two hours for free, doesn't it?

A lot of people crossing the border North are coming for work, many in lower paying jobs. They likely can't afford to pay an extra $100 per week in commuting costs
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 7-1-2021 at 06:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by apple  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Time is money... If you can sit in line for two hours, just how much is that worth to you? $5 for 15 minutes beats two hours for free, doesn't it?

A lot of people crossing the border North are coming for work, many in lower paying jobs. They likely can't afford to pay an extra $100 per week in commuting costs

soooo....there's always Chaparral, Otay and Tecate, what don't you understand? this will help EVERY crossing!
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2021 at 09:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
this will help EVERY crossing!

No it won't. There are 26 lanes at San Ysidro. Is it totally screwed when all but 5 are open but flows fast when they are all open? NO. So how are 5 more going to do anything?

It's a 2 billion dollar boondoggle, everybody heard 20 minute crossings and got sucked in. Ain't gonna happen on even a semi regular basis.

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-1-2021 at 09:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
this will help EVERY crossing!

No it won't. There are 26 lanes at San Ysidro. Is it totally screwed when all but 5 are open but flows fast when they are all open? NO. So how are 5 more going to do anything?

It's a 2 billion dollar boondoggle, everybody heard 20 minute crossings and got sucked in. Ain't gonna happen on even a semi regular basis.

who peed in your wheaties this morning? Got crankiness? are you inebriated?

anywho,.. the new border ing will use variable tolling -- toll price changes with demand, so if wait gets longer, then toll increases and wait gets shorter

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2021 at 09:40 PM

im curious why someone that lives in san felipe and will never use this crossing is soooo wound up about this? then again what else is there to do in san felipe?
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2021 at 12:05 AM

You're right, I have no dog in this fight and I don't care but the whole idea that 2 billion dollars for 5 +/- new lanes is going to make a difference is ludicrous. Just see the need to call bullchit when bullchit needs calling.

Goat, you even said it yourself, they should staff the existing border and problem solved.

Oh, and del mar, you were the first to call this whole thing ridiculous back on page one and SFandH agreed then you both about faced.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm not, guess we will see in a few years.

Harald Pietschmann

Bajazly, August 2019
TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2021 at 11:12 PM

Has anyone ever seen both booths in the tandem gates manned? If they kept the gates opened and manned the wait times would decline.
What makes anyone think that the toll gates would be fully staffed?

The construction cost estimates would likely double for the 5 new gates.
They rebuilt Tecate at a cost of millions and there were still only two gates when they finished. Nice new office for the staff but no better flow for the increased traffic from when the older facilities were opened.
Maybe all the money was for the commercial side.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2021 at 08:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TecateRay  
Has anyone ever seen both booths in the tandem gates manned?

Only one time. That was early on when they had just finished the border crossing modifications.

There is no good excuse that I can think of to not open all lanes and man all booths from early morning to late night.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 7-4-2021 at 09:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Only one time. That was early on when they had just finished the border crossing modifications.

There is no good excuse that I can think of to not open all lanes and man all booths from early morning to late night.

its about $$$$
https://www.nteu.org/legislative-action/congressional-testim...

[Edited on 7-4-2021 by Don Pisto]

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2021 at 09:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

its about $$$$

Well, sure. I said there is no good excuse. The article emphasizes this:

"According to CBP, for every 1,000 CBP officers hired there is an increase in the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of $2 billion; $642 million in opportunity costs are saved (the amount of time that a traveler could be using for purposes other than waiting in line, such as working or enjoying leisure activities); and 33,148 annual jobs are added.

In addition, according to the Joint Economic Committee (JEC), the volume of commerce crossing our borders has more than tripled in the past 25 years. Long wait times lead to delays and travel time uncertainty, which can increase supply chain and transportation costs. According to the Department of Commerce, border delays result in losses to output, wages, jobs and tax revenue due to decreases in spending by companies, suppliers and consumers. JEC research finds border delays cost the U.S. economy between $90 million and $5.8 billion each year."

[Edited on 7-4-2021 by SFandH]

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2021 at 09:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

its about $$$$

Well, sure. I said there is no good excuse. The article emphasizes this:

"According to CBP, for every 1,000 CBP officers hired there is an increase in the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of $2 billion; $642 million in opportunity costs are saved (the amount of time that a traveler could be using for purposes other than waiting in line, such as working or enjoying leisure activities); and 33,148 annual jobs are added.

In addition, according to the Joint Economic Committee (JEC), the volume of commerce crossing our borders has more than tripled in the past 25 years. Long wait times lead to delays and travel time uncertainty, which can increase supply chain and transportation costs. According to the Department of Commerce, border delays result in losses to output, wages, jobs and tax revenue due to decreases in spending by companies, suppliers and consumers. JEC research finds border delays cost the U.S. economy between $90 million and $5.8 billion each year."

[Edited on 7-4-2021 by SFandH]

how about simply its a chitty job nobody wants?
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2021 at 09:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

Average salary $83,000 and full benefits. All you need is a trainable person that can read and write.

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/CBP-Officer-Salary--in...

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2021 at 09:51 AM

Average salary $83,000 and full benefits. All you need is a trainable person that can read and write.

Bada Bing
And never smoked weed in their whole lives.

Es Todo Bueno
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 7-4-2021 at 10:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  

Bada Bing
And never smoked weed in their whole lives.

and then there is those damn lie detector machines......
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/us-border-patrol-struggling...

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2021 at 11:12 AM

Who amongst us would be willing to breathe the air, or what passes as air, all day, every day, manning the border crossings. I suspect that is near zero.

While many million$ have been spent to upgrade in order to decrease border crossing times, how has this worked out?

We all know the answer. Utter failure to staff the crossings has spelled a huge failure to address the original intent of spending all those millions$.

Why our misspent tax dollars has not brought outrage from all quarters, says a lot. Party affiliations over our nations welfare is to blame on so many fronts.

Enough of my delving into contentious, which shouldn't be contentious to begin with, topics that go against what our nations ideals was founded upon. As the beacon of light and hope for the world, how has this been allowed to fester as it has. We are no longer the hope of oppressed people, and all for what? To support a fascist ideology?

Shame on all who refuse to see the truth of where our nation has been allowed to descend in such a short time. That our fragile democracy was so fragile is as hurtful as it comes, when certain citizens? espouse fascist right wing leanings without shame.

My question is, how long have you supported the destruction of our democracy? Was it just in the last few years, or have you always supported such treasonous behavior?

You either are a supporter of our grand experiment, or you are not. There is no in-between. I support our nations founding principals with every breath I take. When I see something that is an anathema to what our nation was created for, it amounts to nothing but an insurrection, and treason.

Have at it. I will no longer participate in a site that does not keep our nations ideals as important. Same goes for taking any medical advice from a few who should be banned from a certain specific topic who are dangerously stupid.

Doug has a lot to deal with, and I appreciate his keeping this outlet going, but the off-topic section needs to be used much more than it has been, so the rest of us can enjoy peace, love and fish tacos all the more.

While I will probably still view some topics here occasionally, until some have been relegated to off topics where the rest of us can easily ignore them as they deserve, giving these few a public platform goes against why I came here to begin with.

I know I am not alone in this thinking Doug, and you know it too. I so appreciate all you have done to keep this site going as long as it has. But..........It is past time to regulate certain posters spouting their disinformation and put them where they belong. OFF TOPIC!!!

surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2021 at 11:39 AM

Blanca and Les have provided the heart of what this site should have been about through the years.

Others, not so much.

Now that they are moving on, they are taking a lot of Baja soul with them. I am eternally happy for them, and will always appreciate what they gave to us all while they were here.

Their particular value to us all and those local residents who directly benefited from their efforts will be hard to replace. The example they set while they are still here in body and spirit, should be exemplary.

My hope is someone will step up in their absence, once they do make the big move.

Paying it forward has been their life's work, at least in my imagination. The good you two have left behind, is enormous.

All of us Baja lovers can surely agree on this one thing.

Hopefully?

Over and out.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.