Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The new SALTY PAWS (Pata Salada) Bertha project in La Bocana
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2021 at 07:35 AM
The new SALTY PAWS (Pata Salada) Bertha project in La Bocana

I have decided to take on a new challenge that will have a big impact on many lives here in La Bocana.

Tuly is a very good friend from La Bocana who moved to La Paz years ago. Her daughter recently got out of rehab, moved to La Bocana to live with her Dad.

When Tuly came to visit me last month, she came with her daughter for breakfast and asked that I befriend Bertha since she has one sister here, and her dad of course, but no other friends since she went to school in Ensenada and La Paz.

So, this month, I took Bertha over to Abreojos with me to Antojitos Juanita and we chatted about her drug past and more importantly, her plans for the future. We all need to feel productive was my premise, so I wanted to give her a reason to get up clean every day.

I have a brother in NY who has been clean for 20 years now, so Bertha's struggle is close to my heart.

We chatted about this and that and she told me she loves to cook. She told me her dream is to work with stray dogs and cats. So, I had a brainstorm and suggested we put the 2 together as follows: I would pay her 500 pesos to make me 4 meals in May. This would be the start of funds for her stray animal project. The first meal was the most incredible veggie burger I have ever eaten! She also included an outrageous salad. This kid is VERY talented.

I was so impressed with my meal that I called her and asked her to write a bio for her project. I suggested she write up a menu that I could leave at our hotel. We are going to Europe in June, so I said I would continue the one meal a week deal at 500 pesos/month and we would donate that meal to Tidiana in June and choose others for July, August etc.

Here is her bio:

⚠️ MUCH TEXT ⚠️
A SIN WITH CAUSE
Hello my name is Bertha Asmara and I'm a resident of the Estero of Bocana community, BCS. Since I was little I've been in contact with animals and developed a special affection for them, I've always believed they deserve worthy treatment no matter the species. In 2013 I met a stray dog that changed my way of seeing things, made me question what it was like to have a ′′ pet ′′ and understand all the love they are able to give. This dog changed my life and that of the inhabitants of the house, he lived a lot of the years, but due to very strong cancer (which even chemotherapy did not cure), we had to put him to sleep. It was a very significant loss and I probably will never meet another dog like him but why close my doors and heart to the other four legged friends that I find on the street? To the contrary, I see something in each of them and with even more reason I feel the need to help them. That's why I want to start this project called ′′ Salty Paws ′′ which consists of building houses for the community doggies that are homeless, sterilize as many dogs and cats as possible, provide food, deworms, tick pills, raise environmental awareness with conservation talks and create a better quality of life for animals in general. Part of the project plan to fund it with food sales, another with donations. I don't seek riches or recognition, just a better world at least for them. Thanks for reading.

Pretty powerful, right? Bertha has started offering food online and her first order after mine was for 12 meals! She has come up with a menu. I am so proud of her and I hope I have started a life changing project.

Here is a photo she posted of her bread baking:

Here is a photo she posted of shrimp she prepared another day:

If any of you want to support her with dog food or deworming meds or leashes or anything at all, you can come visit and eat her amazing food, you can sponsor a 500 peso a month meal for a family and you can drop off items with my name on it at the CRUCERO RESTAURANT on highway 1 exit to Punta Abreojos. Concha who runs the restaurant will make sure things get to La Bocana!

I am taking Bertha to Abreojos again today to meet up with another young woman her age that I think will make a great friend to have! Pics later.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-22-2021 at 12:07 PM

great idea for fund raising for this project Blanca and looks delicious! thanks for helping yet another kid out!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2021 at 05:11 PM

Thanks Shari! I like this project. It is really close to my heart as I said before. She chose to be homeless and on drugs in La Paz last year. I can hardly believe it looking at her now but I met with her Mom in La Paz and heard about the nightmare before I even met Bertha.

It was awful.

Bertha is so lucky to have a loving family. They are 100% ready to support her, huge plus.

Lencho, Bertha does speak English but I used google translate and then fixed it up a bit.

TODAY was a success. The two ladies got to know each other a little bit, they shared their dreams for the future and already have plans to do something together!!

A photo of the three of us.

Cassandra and I

Bertha

When we came back to La Bocana, I took Bertha to meet Tidiana and Abraham. She would like a clay oven and Abraham made his own.
Abraham will be giving her an estimate soon. win win!

While visiting Abraham and Tidiana, I got to see Tigre, Boot's sister! She is much bigger and heavier than my Boots! He was not as happy to see me as I was to see him.

Next week, Bertha will take Tidiana and Abraham's 2 dogs to get fixed. This is turning out much better than I could ever imagine.

and lastly, here is a photo of Bertha and her five dogs!!! They are all rescues.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2021 at 06:19 PM

A simply wonderful venture you have em-barked on!

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 5-23-2021 at 01:02 AM

Blanca, check your paypal!

John

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2021 at 02:51 PM

Update!

I had Tidiana and Abraham over to do some gardening for me and they told me that Bertha made them spaghetti this morning, which they all ate for breakfast.

I am telling you, the world works in mysterious ways. Not only did Bertha make a new friend but she found a family that she wants to help out. We are leaving on vacation to Poland to spend Les's birthday with his brother and I was worried about Tidiana but I guess I have an angel who will be looking after them while I am gone!

Thanks God!

We also have a sponsor for June for Bertha's meal project, I think my brother will sponsor July, going to approach 2 other friends for August and September so I can leave everything prepaid.

It's a good life Charlie Brown. Have a blessed Sunday everyone!

Come visit La Bocana

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-23-2021 at 04:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

No sin that, I was just curious how/if she'd managed to achieve such a level.

And judging by the writing on the meal boxes, she has great penwomanship.

More good work Blanca :saint:

Don't believe everything you think....
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2021 at 08:40 PM

Ged, I agree! It is so thoughtful of her to write each one a note on their delivery box. Not only that, my food comes in plastic reusable containers which I return right after I finish my meal but notice that the containers she uses for one timers are paper with a light wax on the inside.

My brother is in! Both June and July are covered.

Bertha shared that she just might open up a small restaurant in the building right next door to her house. I think this is spot on the right thing to do.

With the little extra that JB sent, I am going to search for animal tablecloths or knapkins or something fun!

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2021 at 10:23 AM

Good one, lencho!

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2021 at 08:48 AM

update! New donation covers her monthly meals for donating in August and September. Five total months and we are back in September and I will update her progress then.

I will be dropping off the cash to her today.

For her birthday, i will give her an envelope with a voucher for goodies in September when I come back.

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2021 at 08:55 PM

So happy to say that we have sponsored Bertha's monthly food meal for a family all the way thru September! 5 months of her making one meal a week to some lucky family!

She was so thrilled when I gave her the cash.

Her dad is going to help her get her clay oven going. It is going to be an outside oven and they already got the bricks for it. Abraham gave an estimate and he will be the builder.

I had a talk with Bertha about dealing with stress since she wrote on facebook that she felt quite tired after a full day of cooking. She wants an assistant, someone to cut onion etc. The project is really taking off bigtime!

She will keep me in the loop and I will keep all of you in the loop.

Notice she is holding a purple notebook? I have asked her to keep a journal and perhaps one day write a book about her Life and this project.

[Edited on 5-30-2021 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2021 at 10:51 AM

Wishing only the best for her. As they say take one day at a time.

Have a good trip and be safe.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2021 at 02:32 PM

Indeed. One day. At a time.

Come visit La Bocana

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.