BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: When did you first fall in love with Baja?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-24-2021 at 10:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gueribo  
Would love to see some vintage photos of your younger selves!

1966 (age 8.5), trip from Tijuana to Cabo by Jeep:

1966, my first dorado, off Cabo San Lucas:

1966, ferry dock at La Paz (with my dad):

1967, Calamajué Canyon gold mill site:

1967 (age 10), with Luis, founder of Nuevo Mazatlan:

1974, camping at Nuevo Mazatlan:

1975 (age 17), road to El Mármol:

Jump ahead to modern times, 1999 (age 41) at Mission Santa María:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 5-24-2021 at 12:08 PM
Falling in Love

1958. Avenida Revolucion, Tijuana.
gueribo
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2021 at 12:53 PM

What a cute kid!
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2021 at 02:27 PM

Walter Hussong of Quintas Papagayo in Ensenada was my late Father's good friend.
His Swedish GF @ the time was a hoot. 1967

Es Todo Bueno
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2021 at 03:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
1958. Avenida Revolucion, Tijuana.

1978 Avenida Miramar, Ensenada

( . Y . )

1976 Avenida Revolucion - probably the same place MrBillM went to, or the joint next door.

K38 the same year, and then the surf trips began. Drove first time to Cabo in 1986. I'm a water guy, dirt roads only when necessary to get to the break.

Now it's boats on the Sea of Cortez.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-24-2021 at 05:59 PM

In February of 1988 I vacationed in Barra de Navidad but took the ferry over to Baja to drive home to Tofino BC using another route. A friend had told me to do a quick stop to Laguna Ojo de Liebre to check out the lagoon where Gray Whales birthed and raised their calves. I planned a 2 hour lunch break to just have a look at it.

I found the dirt road and much to my delight, as I drove up to the edge of the lagoon, I saw dozens of whale spouts right in front of me....I mean many dozens! I was in whale heaven!!!

There was a very handsome fisherman leaning on his pickup truck parked beside his panga and he motioned to me asking if I wanted to go see the whales....the rest is history!

I stayed weeks and ended up conceiving my daughter Sirena in teh lagoon on that first Baja visit! thats the short version!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 5-24-2021 at 07:26 PM

1965, I was 10, my Father and Uncle were building a small Church in San Felipe. My father was the Manager at a Lumber Yard in San Jose, CA, he would post a list of needed materials on the front of the cash register, as the Contractors were ordering their materials, they would add a window, door or 2x4, etc to their list, telling my father it is for Baja. When my father and uncle would fill their trailer, they and sometimes we as a family would head to San Felipe. They worked part of the day and then fished the rest of the day. As a kid I loved getting to run the dirt streets with the local kids, go into a bar for a warm Pepsi and play on the beach. I loved watching the locals launch my uncle's boat with an old army truck with lots of guys sitting in the back to hold it down from the wave action, it seemed like they would back it out a mile of two before it would float off of the trailer. I recall the feeling of terror when I had lit a string of firecrackers off in the street just as a Policeman came around the corner, I thought I was in trouble... he just laughed and waved as he went by. JH
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2021 at 09:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
In February of 1988 I vacationed in Barra de Navidad but took the ferry over to Baja to drive home to Tofino BC using another route. A friend had told me to do a quick stop to Laguna Ojo de Liebre to check out the lagoon where Gray Whales birthed and raised their calves. I planned a 2 hour lunch break to just have a look at it.

I found the dirt road and much to my delight, as I drove up to the edge of the lagoon, I saw dozens of whale spouts right in front of me....I mean many dozens! I was in whale heaven!!!

There was a very handsome fisherman leaning on his pickup truck parked beside his panga and he motioned to me asking if I wanted to go see the whales....the rest is history!

I stayed weeks and ended up conceiving my daughter Sirena in teh lagoon on that first Baja visit! thats the short version!

Wowwww. That is awesome. I don't think anyone is gonna top that one.

[Edited on 5-25-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2021 at 11:33 PM

In 1967 spring break at USC I was a junior. Went with my older brother and a friend from San Diego to San Quintin. We towed a 13' Boston Whaler with a CJ5 jeep full of diving gear. As I remember the pavement stopped a little ways south of Ensenada. From there a lot of wash board dirt. Very little in San Quintin then. We set up camp next to the Old Mill behind a tall concrete block wall to block the wind. That was the wall that is now the south wall of the restaurant next to the Old Mill. We were going over to San Martin Island for a little diving. Got swamped going out of the bay, then there was a hugh blanket of Red Tide at the island. Diving was terrible.

Had to go to work and finally got back to Baja in August of 1988. We took 4 weeks off of work and loaded a large camper with gear for diving. carried a 12' inflatable and a diving compressor to fill tanks. My wife and 4 children (all in high school) with 3 of their class mates. My daughter drove her FJ40 land cruiser along. First stop was LA Bay. Then Mulege, Loreto, and stayed in La Paz for a one week dive trip on the Rio Rita with John Riffe. Back to Loreto for a bit before heading back to San Diego. Everyone in the family loved the Loreto area, so bought our place in 1990. As a vacation home, we came to Loreto for about 10 days every two months.

Now retired so spending more time in Loreto, with a 25' Davis. Of course spend a lot of time out on the water.

dravnx
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2021 at 03:44 PM

1992, I had just gotten my private pilot's license and me and my roommate were at a bar celebrating. This gal sat down next to me and asked what we were celebrating. I told her and she replied that she too had her pilot's license but had never really used it. We continued chatting. She started telling me about a trip she had taken the previous year to San Felipe. It sounded intriguing so I asked her if she wanted to go back. She said sure, when? I said next weekend. The next Friday, we loaded up my Pathfinder and hit the road.
We drove straight through to SF and set up camp at Pete's Place. This was July 4th weekend and it was like trying to camp in a pizza oven with quads running up and down the beach non stop. The next morning we pulled up stakes and headed out. We ended up camping at Laguna Hanson for a couple of nights and then headed home. There's nothing like banging a bar pickup in a tent on the shore of a lake in Mexico.
The gal is long gone but the lure of Baja has never left.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2021 at 05:20 PM

Really great photos, David.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-25-2021 at 05:38 PM

this is a terrific thread...loving the stories but also would love to see more photos of the good old days!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 5-25-2021 at 07:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dravnx  
1992, I had just gotten my private pilot's license and me and my roommate were at a bar celebrating. This gal sat down next to me and asked what we were celebrating. I told her and she replied that she too had her pilot's license but had never really used it. We continued chatting. She started telling me about a trip she had taken the previous year to San Felipe. It sounded intriguing so I asked her if she wanted to go back. She said sure, when? I said next weekend. The next Friday, we loaded up my Pathfinder and hit the road.
We drove straight through to SF and set up camp at Pete's Place. This was July 4th weekend and it was like trying to camp in a pizza oven with quads running up and down the beach non stop. The next morning we pulled up stakes and headed out. We ended up camping at Laguna Hanson for a couple of nights and then headed home. There's nothing like banging a bar pickup in a tent on the shore of a lake in Mexico.
The gal is long gone but the lure of Baja has never left.

gal might be gone but so is the lake!:coolup:

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2021 at 07:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by dravnx  
There's nothing like banging a bar pickup in a tent on the shore of a lake in Mexico.
Another true class act! :rolleyes:

Oh, come on now.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2021 at 07:25 PM

My grandfather used to take my dad down to Baja. I fondly recall my dad telling me stories of them camping in Ensenada as a kid.

Then my dad eventually started exploring Baja as a young man. He drove to Cabo San Lucas before the road was completed. He spent a month or so there before returning.

As far as I know, my first time in Baja I was only months old. We camped all over Baja as a kid. I can remember many birthday parties sitting around campfires.

My grandparents bought a place next to the old Fox Studios. I used to collect mussels at low tide and fish the rocky areas around there. My first drink was at the Rosarito Hotel...I think I was about 14. I always thought I would inherit my grandparents' place. Sadly my grandfather died of a massive heart attack when I was 17 or 18.

I went on my pilgrimage to Baja when I was 27 or so. My buddy and I drove my 1993 Tacoma down to Cabo and back fishing, camping, and living the life. We spent a total of 6 weeks exploring every dirt road we could find. One town especially struck a cord with me...Bahia Asuncion.

My girlfriend in college and now my wife started doing longer trips To Baja. We eventually got married in Elias Calles, BCS. I proposed to her at Agua Verde on Christmas morning.

On another trip with some good amigos, we revisited Bahia Asuncion. I think this must have been about 15 years ago. We randomly met Shari at a tienda. Shortly thereafter, we bought a place, site unseen. It was a tear -down but we didn't have the money to tear it down. With a lot of love, our place has become our home.

Since then, we have had two kids both of which have spent at least 3 months of every year in Bahia Asuncion. Our little casita is slowly growing as are our kids.

We finally decided to make the move down to Asuncion full time in a few weeks. Our house in San Diego is in escrow and we are selling almost everything we own. Our kids will attend the local schools and we hope to volunteer there as well. We plan on brewing beer, raising a huge garden, tutoring online, and spending time learning the culture, language, and becoming more involved in the daily life of our village. We definitely feel closer to Mexico than the United States...especially more recently.

So, I'm not sure when I fell in love with Baja. But I can say Baja is a part of me and my family.

Cheers!

Zac aka Bajaboy

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2021 at 09:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
My grandfather used to take my dad down to Baja. I fondly recall my dad telling me stories of them camping in Ensenada as a kid.

Then my dad eventually started exploring Baja as a young man. He drove to Cabo San Lucas before the road was completed. He spent a month or so there before returning.

As far as I know, my first time in Baja I was only months old. We camped all over Baja as a kid. I can remember many birthday parties sitting around campfires.

My grandparents bought a place next to the old Fox Studios. I used to collect mussels at low tide and fish the rocky areas around there. My first drink was at the Rosarito Hotel...I think I was about 14. I always thought I would inherit my grandparents' place. Sadly my grandfather died of a massive heart attack when I was 17 or 18.

I went on my pilgrimage to Baja when I was 27 or so. My buddy and I drove my 1993 Tacoma down to Cabo and back fishing, camping, and living the life. We spent a total of 6 weeks exploring every dirt road we could find. One town especially struck a cord with me...Bahia Asuncion.

My girlfriend in college and now my wife started doing longer trips To Baja. We eventually got married in Elias Calles, BCS. I proposed to her at Agua Verde on Christmas morning.

On another trip with some good amigos, we revisited Bahia Asuncion. I think this must have been about 15 years ago. We randomly met Shari at a tienda. Shortly thereafter, we bought a place, site unseen. It was a tear -down but we didn't have the money to tear it down. With a lot of love, our place has become our home.

Since then, we have had two kids both of which have spent at least 3 months of every year in Bahia Asuncion. Our little casita is slowly growing as are our kids.

We finally decided to make the move down to Asuncion full time in a few weeks. Our house in San Diego is in escrow and we are selling almost everything we own. Our kids will attend the local schools and we hope to volunteer there as well. We plan on brewing beer, raising a huge garden, tutoring online, and spending time learning the culture, language, and becoming more involved in the daily life of our village. We definitely feel closer to Mexico than the United States...especially more recently.

So, I'm not sure when I fell in love with Baja. But I can say Baja is a part of me and my family.

Cheers!

Zac aka Bajaboy

Awesome story. Agua Verde is a special place. You picked that one well.

How old are your kids?

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2021 at 09:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

Cheers!

Zac aka Bajaboy

Awesome story. Agua Verde is a special place. You picked that one well.

How old are your kids?

My daughter, Mikayla, is 11 and my son, Gabriel, is soon to be 13.

Marty Mateo
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2021 at 12:16 PM

My first trip was in the winter of 1993 ,a buddy and I drove down from Vancouver Island. We were both between jobs and had a bit of money so one day sitting in a pub looking out at the cold rainy weather we hatched a plan to go south. I can’t remember how we chose Baja as both of us had never been and knew little about it. All we got from people when we said we were going was the retelling of a friend of a friends horror story.
By strange coincidence a day or two later we were walking my buddy’s dog on the beach and got talking to a couple who had recently returned from Baja. They ended up giving us a map of Baja and a lot of great info. I had ,a few days prior to our pub meeting ,been given a 1968 Dodge Monaco which turned out to be, for a freebie,a fairly nice car . I put a new battery in it ,replaced the front tires and filled the trunk with camping gear we were off. We also had along my buddies large dog who rode along happily in the back seat .The car ran well down through the States but was consuming a fair bit of oil ,like about a case of oil. We ended up finding a replacement engine through a friend and using his shop, swapped engines. Unfortunately that took out my surfboard budget (planned to learn to surf) but off to Tijuana we headed. We crossed the border without talking to anyone ,just some guy directing traffic and found ourselves in downtown Tijuana. Not sure if you needed an FMM back then but we were unaware . After a brief interaction with a police officer, it seems we were driving the wrong direction on one way street we continued on south. There were tons more adventures on our trip , we made it around the southern tip and contrary to the horror stories we had nothing but warm and generous experiences with everyone we met.

F707485C-BD92-47D6-AD84-7115CE9A7197.jpeg - 69kB 7A62FFE8-D98F-4265-85AB-8C6407EC1E4A.jpeg - 132kB

2E44D39B-8526-4F32-BD98-F36F30FBE455.jpeg - 99kB
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2021 at 02:02 PM

Some great stories! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2021 at 02:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
Walter Hussong of Quintas Papagayo in Ensenada was my late Father's good friend.
His Swedish GF @ the time was a hoot. 1967

Met Walt Hussong when he attended my Viva Baja #4 party in 2003. He is from a long line of Walt Hussongs... My dad and an older Walt Hussong went to San Diego High together!

Here is a photo of Walt at Viva Baja #4:

Here is Walt-Hussong,
the great grandson of the founder of Hussong's Cantina!

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.