BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: When did you first fall in love with Baja?
Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-26-2021 at 03:49 PM

Great thread!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-26-2021 at 03:50 PM

OMG Marty...that Monaco is epic...what a great story.

Baja Boy...we are all so thrilled you will grace bella bahia asuncion with your family full time...not to mention the beer & veggies we will get to consume! It will be really nice to have more folks participating in local activities & events and bring new energy & ideas to the village.

More....More....More

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Marty Mateo
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2021 at 12:50 PM

Thanks Shari, loved your story as well. I’m surprised this thread hasn’t attracted more contributors, I think we could all use more stories.
Porky Pig
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2021 at 03:07 PM
Tijuana 1959

With the TJ Zebra

ajmp1959tijuana (Copy).jpg - 134kB
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-31-2021 at 04:16 PM

Nice to see more 'old timers'! Hi Dave & Juanita!
Many a fun times at Cielito Lindo and the Wet Buzzard at Gypsy's RV Park!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2021 at 04:44 PM

What ever happened to the guy with the user name Dave? Think he lived in Ensenada. He was very witty.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2021 at 05:28 PM

Dave owned a deli near Puerto Nuevo, called the Nueva York Deli. We stopped there for a great pastrami sandwich.
Yes, he has not posted in a while... A search is warranted!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 7-31-2021 at 05:32 PM

I managed a rental house from mid 80s to early 90s just north of Rosarito and was allowed to go anytime there wasn't a renter, which was frequently! Mostly partying then. But in 2003 we started going to Punta Chivato with the kids annually. The trip down and the experiences there were fabulous - fishing, snorkeling, the wildlife and now the paddle boarding - I love everything about it.
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2021 at 05:52 PM

In 1975 a guy I worked with drove to Baja and told me about the trip so the following January I headed down with my then girlfriend and spent six weeks working our way down and back. We'd camp for a few days then head to a town for ice, beer, and food then move on to another spot to hang out. It was a great trip and I was hooked but life got in the way and I eventually had a family and a real job that limited trips to every three years or so with the wife and kids. It was a long trip for a two week vacation from Oregon.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2021 at 05:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Dave owned a deli near Puerto Nuevo, called the Nueva York Deli. We stopped there for a great pastrami sandwich.
Yes, he has not posted in a while... A search is warranted!

His last post was December 2014.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

BajaGlenn
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 7-31-2021 at 06:24 PM

1974 but only made it down as far as Loreto--:bounce:
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2021 at 07:03 PM

My (Lori) first visit was to Cabo of course, in 1993, when Tommy invited me to join he and his fishing partner Len Aaron.

It was my first time on a boat and I got pretty sick, but between reeling in yellow fin tuna and throwing up, Tommy proposed .. I said yes, barfed again and here we are.

It's fun reading some of these stories.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2021 at 07:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CaboMagic  
My (Lori) first visit was to Cabo of course, in 1993, when Tommy invited me to join he and his fishing partner Len Aaron.

It was my first time on a boat and I got pretty sick, but between reeling in yellow fin tuna and throwing up, Tommy proposed .. I said yes, barfed again and here we are.

It's fun reading some of these stories.

Classic!
* In the movie, 'Coming to America', James Earle Jones tells us there is a "fine line between love and nausea".

windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2021 at 09:36 PM

When I read Steinbeck’s “The Pearl” in the early 70s, naive mind opened to a perspective of unimagined suffering in a place that somehow sparked my desire to travel.

I ha d actually fallen in love with Cuba first, then we turned south down the I-15 to Baja in February 1988 in a 1978 VW Westfalia. I was about to start my nursing education and we needed a break from winter. We had a tight schedule and thought we could make it from the 49th parallel to Cabo and back in 2 weeks, driving long days and with me making sandwiches in the rear of the van while we drove.

We made it to San Felipe and realized it would take another week to reach our destination, so we stayed a while in the sun, visited the giant cardones and turned back north, luckily missing the great spring storms from the Pacific that usually roll across the Rockies at that time of year.

We pursued windsurfing in Cuba, Venezuela, Costa Rica and Trinidad & Tobago where conditions are tropical and the beaches are fine, sugary sand. But Baja had it all and we could get home by land.

We made way for La Ventana when a Caribbean trip was cancelled, then to Los Barilles in the early ‘90s before the roads in town before internet and cell phones when a hot shower and cold beer was the height of luxury. It was a wonderful, quiet place in the winter, with lots of marine life, few people and no walled enclaves. We returned every year for longer stays from then except for last winter.

I once dreamed of moving to LB one day and we used to make a bee-line to LB for the wind, but with the building boom it’s a now noisy, bustling resort town with season-long traffic jams and an ATV speed track running down the beach for miles. Many characters have passed on and made way for the more modern services needed by a new generation. There’s not much that can’t be had locally or with a quick trip to Home Depot or Costco in Cabo.

I now enjoy exploring the wilderness as we make our way down, before the rest of the peninsula is commodified. The journey has become dream.

[Edited on 8-1-2021 by windgrrl]

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
wiltonh
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2021 at 10:20 PM

My Mexico trips started in the mid 50s as a kid with my parents. My father was a doctor near Spokane Washington and the winters seemed a lot shorter if we spent Christmas vacation some where that was warm. He and his partner split the Christmas vacation so we could leave every other year.

The first few years we went to the mainland. We rented a small house trailer in Tuscon and spent time in San Carlos. Later we purchased a motor home and went South to Mazatlan and finally Manzanillo which was the farthest you could follow the coast South at that time. We were primarily diving and snorkeling. We ended up taking relatives and friends along to get away from the Northern winters.

The real problem with these trips was the amount of driving for a short stay. We had a saying that it was a 1000 miles to the border and then another 1000 miles to Mazatlan. In about 1972 we decided to make the trip shorter so we could stay longer and chose San Felipe. By this time we had motorcycles so we took the road South to Puertecitos.

In 1974 my father heard that Highway 1 was paved all the way to Cabo San Lucas so we wanted to see it all. I had met a woman at college and we were now engaged. I took her along and the trip was easier as she spoke Spanish. We drove a 40 foot motor home pulling a car from Spokane to La Paz and then took the car on to Cabo San Lucas. We ended up diving at Cabo Pulmo and then off Lands End at Lovers Beach. It was a very long trip but I remember telling my mother that if we had the time, I would like to spend all winter in Baja.

I married the woman from college. In the early 80's we got into windsurfing and went back to visit San Felipe. Again we came with friends and shared the wind and the water. We were interested in finding a place that was warmer at Christmas time so we started asking around.

We decided on a trip to Los Barriles with a family that was currently between jobs. They drove to La Paz pulling a trailer and my wife and I flew down to meet them. We then drove to Los Barriles and spent about 3 weeks windsurfing and getting to know the area. We knew that this was not going to be our last trip but we had been looking for property in the Columbia River Gorge.

In 1990 we found a 10 acre piece of property with a house started on it and decided to purchase it and finish the house. This ended up using our vacation time for a number of years. Our next trip to Mexico was in 2001 and we left Portland Oregon to drive to Baja without even taking a map. I told my wife there was just one road and you could not get lost. One of the bigger surprises was the distance between open gas stations. In 1974 they were all new and I had no idea how many were closed. We ended up running out of gas between Catavinia and Guerrero Negro. Some locals helped us get some gas and we decided that having a map might be a good thing.

We ended up in La Ventana and enjoyed it a lot. From 2001 to 2007 we camped on the beach for about 3 weeks every winter. In 2008 I retired and we started adding more time. We ended up purchasing a 33 foot trailer which we store down there and pull onto the beach each year. Until COVID hit we had spent 20 years in the camp every winter. Our time had stretched out to 5 months.

We hope that COVID will let us travel this year so we can spend time in the warm air and water.

[Edited on 8-1-2021 by wiltonh]
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2021 at 07:46 AM

With parents on a camp trip 1967.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2021 at 09:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by windgrrl  
I ha d actually fallen in love with Cuba first,

How did you manage the tourism embargo back in those days?

I had a friend that worked with the internacionalista cane brigades back in the ¿60's? and she told us the FBI showed up at her door some time later asking all sorts of questions... :O

Tourism opened to Canadians (friendly political relations) and Europeans in the early 80s. Everything was kept accounted for by a vast paper-based system, mostly because our trips were all-inclusive. There were black Marias dotting the roads, a healthy black market for US $ and dour Russians on vacation, smoking cigars and dwelling in dark bars. We were free to go on our own throughout town with mopeds available to exploring on.

The Cubans were very welcoming and gave us their best, even though they were struggling because of the embargo. It was interesting to see the latest tourism industry rise up with all the usual woes.

We took many amazing tours, sailing, checking out ancient buildings and getting lost in Havana after an international jazz festival over the years. We once even travelled in a Russian troop carrier along the trail of the revolutionaries to a cenote and had a lunch at a farm in the forest. Cuba was great back then, just like Baja was and I am glad to have seen it before it changed again.

~ I-Ching
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2021 at 12:14 PM
San Felipe 1988

94B6EAF9-FDA9-4A30-A5E8-7D32A8637638.jpeg - 72kB 10C5EA4E-EA07-495E-B589-5E77B763DA15.jpeg - 131kB

D80F54CA-6F8C-4B01-B0E6-E3E40CAC4562.jpeg - 85kB

528CA25A-7988-4EE3-A6FF-29CE9EB9E2E9.jpeg - 85kB

~ I-Ching
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-2-2021 at 09:17 PM

My first time to baja 1976 fell in love with green eyed Mexican girl .:) Yes Baja after that .
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2021 at 10:20 PM

Very nice photos Windgrrl. You are definitely rocking the 80's hair and short shorts.

Thanks for sharing.

[Edited on 8-3-2021 by JZ]

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.