Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Immigration Sets Up Highway Checkpoint
karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 5-23-2021 at 02:53 PM
Immigration Sets Up Highway Checkpoint

https://gringogazette.com/wp/2021/05/immigration-sets-up-hig...
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2021 at 03:43 PM

Boy oh boy.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-23-2021 at 04:08 PM

It will be interesting to see if any applaud this move to remove "alien illegals" ?

Don't believe everything you think....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-23-2021 at 04:35 PM
It is a bit puzzling!

The article states that immigration, and the national guard revised documents of 403 foreigners. I am guessing that they meant to say reviewed, but I am not the editor!

It also states that the four people who were arrested had altered, or fake documents, which is certainly an arrestable offense. It does not say whether any foreigners were discovered with legitimate documents (ID, passport) but no FMM!

Surely out of 403 people being checked, there would be someone that did not have the correct tourist papers! I would imagine that warnings, or citations would be issued, but there is no mention of it happening.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2021 at 07:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
The article states that immigration, and the national guard revised documents of 403 foreigners. I am guessing that they meant to say reviewed, but I am not the editor!

Logical false cognate for a native Spanish speaker working in English.

Check/review = "revisar" in Spanish.

That is a good explanation, thanks!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 5-23-2021 at 08:40 PM

403 foreigners checked and only 4 infractions, we must be doing good!:D
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2021 at 08:55 PM

That was four arrests! My point earlier in this thread was are they also doing some catch and release with a warning, or writing some sort of citation for lack of paperwork?

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
5-24-2021 at 01:14 AM
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2021 at 05:58 AM

i spoke with several locals who applauded the checking of documents and immigration status. some gringos who are big supporters of "the wall" and caging illegal children in the US feel the have the "right " to use mexico as a playground.
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 5-24-2021 at 06:23 AM

Kudos to La Migra for setting up these checkpoints. Immigration also does spot checks on construction sites looking for foreigners working without the proper paperwork.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2021 at 09:20 AM

Construction sites with foreigners working without proper paperwork also includes helping a friend build their house. Locals will quickly report you as they perceive you as taking away a job that rightfully should be theirs.

I also agree with spot checks for valid FMM's .... I think it's only fair as a local has to have proper paperwork to enter the U.S. legally, that is,., It's a reciprocal process.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2021 at 09:59 AM

You are not required to have passport or immigration papers with you on your person, you are required to have them in possession.

It's not legal to stop people for no reason and ask for identification, passports and immigration documents.

Something not right with this report...
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2021 at 11:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
You are not required to have passport or immigration papers with you on your person, you are required to have them in possession.

It's not legal to stop people for no reason and ask for identification, passports and immigration documents.

I don`t think so. Every person is required to have a photo ID when driving through Mexico. Got a MX drivers license? O.K., go! Got nothing? Go to jail (at least for now until your ID is verified) What`s wrong with that? Any difference to the U.S. ???
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-25-2021 at 12:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
It will be interesting to see if any applaud this move to remove "alien illegals" ?

OK, you're obviously looking for an argument, so let's invert the game:

Why shouldn't they be doing this? ;)

No, you are wrong about the argument thing; what is obvious is my question. I am not suggesting there is anything wrong with checking to see if one's papers are in order, but am curious if some folks hold a double standard and, if so, what is the rationale.

[Edited on 5-25-2021 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 5-25-2021 at 12:49 AM

All Countries have immigration laws & how they are actually enforced regarding their written laws are very different. So, how many Americans do you think are living illegally in Mexico? Think maybe 11 to 15 Million compared to Mexicans in the United States? I think most Americans coming into Mexico bring a lot of money to the communities they live in or visit. However, due to past practices Mexico never really pushed the issue about Visas unless you were flying until a few years ago.
Now, I believe if you come into Mexico do it the legal way get a Visa but I also believe Americans are not burdening Mexico's services at huge costs either. So, comparing the issue of illegal entry of Americans to Mexicans is just plain silly.
Do any of you really think Americans are swimming or rafting across rivers or canals to get into Mexico, climbing over fences or walking into desert & mountain terrain to get into Mexico? Nope, they are walking or driving across through Mexico's ports of entry.
Just my observations and maybe some day both Countries will come together to workout immigration reforms that are equal & fair to both Countries and to those trying to get into either Country. Now, that is not an opinion but a Wish that probably will never happen.
"No Hurry, No Worry, Just Fun"
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2021 at 07:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
i spoke with several locals who applauded the checking of documents and immigration status. some gringos who are big supporters of "the wall" and caging illegal children in the US feel the have the "right " to use mexico as a playground.

You do realize the number of "kids in cages" has gone up 10x in the last 5 months, no?

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2021 at 10:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  
Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  

I don`t think so. Every person is required to have a photo ID when driving through Mexico. Got a MX drivers license? O.K., go! Got nothing? Go to jail (at least for now until your ID is verified) What`s wrong with that? Any difference to the U.S. ???

Drivers license while driving is not an immigration document, but it can be used to validate status, or request validation at a later date.

My point is, Mexico like USA, does not require you to carry your passport and FMM/Visa with you at all times when leaving your residence or hotel.

But, if you commit a crime and are caught in mexico, you may be requested to show/prove your legal status, unlike in most of California, they don't request proof of legal residency status even if you commit a crime since there are sanctuary cities that allow illegal residency.

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 5-25-2021 at 10:04 AM

There are usually 2 check points south of La Paz. One is fixed. The other seems to float. Generally they are selective about who they stop. We have always been waved trough. We also have valid multi entry visas and Mexican auto insurance.

You are required to carry your Passport and visa plus you should carry your Mexican insurance. Having an accident is a crime in Mexico. You can be held until your Insurance (Mexican) deals with the problem!

“And arrests 4 foreigners. (Only one was “American”)

A sudden joint operative by Immigration and the National Guard at Km. 59 of the road to Cabo San Lucas – Todos Santos near Pescadero revised documents of 403 foreigners aboard 257 vehicles. Four of them (two Cubans, a Spaniard and an American) had either fake or altered documents which made their stay in Mexico illegal and were transferred to the detention center. Make sure your visa or temporary resident documents are current and that you carry them when traveling along the Baja Peninsula.“

Do Americans legal or otherwise “burden” services in Mexico? Americans pay VAT on purchases in Mexico (this is how Mexico collects taxes primarily). Americans pay taxes on capital gains on real estate. Mexican banks earn income from a variety of services provided to foreigners often Americans. Americans generally pay for all government services received in Mexico.

There is no free medical care for Americans in Mexico. I don't know if schools are free to Foreigners in Mexico and few who can afford better send their kids to public schools here!

Baja California exists because of American $$$!

Currently most illegal immigrants entering the US are OTMs I don't see a comparison as valid.

[Edited on 5-25-2021 by RFClark]
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-25-2021 at 10:16 AM

All ture except no free medical services. State clinic in all small towns free to all with meds if they have them .
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2021 at 10:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  

Do Americans legal or otherwise “burden” services in Mexico? Americans pay VAT on purchases in Mexico (this is how Mexico collects taxes primarily). Americans pay taxes on capital gains on real estate. Mexican banks earn income from a variety of services provided to foreigners often Americans. Americans generally pay for all government services received in Mexico.

There is no free medical care for Americans in Mexico. I don't know if schools are free to Foreigners in Mexico and few who can afford better send their kids to public schools here!

Currently most illegal immigrants entering the US are OTMs I don't see a comparison as valid.

[Edited on 5-25-2021 by RFClark]

Mexicans in side the U.S do pay VAT as well on everything they buy!
Nothing different.
Americans (the term is incorrect! A Mexican is also an American. You mean a US Citizen, right?) pay capital gain tax on properties. Do you know how many properties are sold and that is NOT THE CASE ? Most!
Are banks in the u.S different??? Do they not charge foreigners for services? So far everything you are mentioning in a comparison is false.
Baja exist b/c of U.S. $$$ ? Baja was in existence before the so called Americans reached California. Maybe you don`t know that.
I do not see your arguments as valid.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-25-2021 at 10:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  

I think your nationalistic pride has caused you to have an over-inflated sense of nationalistic self-importance!

But on the flip side, you might say that USA agricultural and construction industries would not exist but for Mexican labor!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.