Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Need restaurant and winery suggestions for the Valley
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2021 at 09:13 AM
Need restaurant and winery suggestions for the Valley

It's been over 2 years since our last Guadalupe wine weekend but we have one coming up mid-June.:bounce:
Any suggestions on new wineries or restaurants?

[Edited on 5-24-2021 by Santiago]
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 5-24-2021 at 09:28 AM

not a wine guy so can't help you there but two days ago I drove down there hoping for some warmth and sunshine (there was none) but my god the growth is insane!. even El Porvenir is unrecognizable! anyway Salud! :D

[Edited on 5-24-2021 by Don Pisto]

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2021 at 07:15 PM

We recently went to the valle for the first time in many months. We went to Casa Magoni and tasted wines under a 200 year old oak tree while listening to some live music and then went right down the road to the best restaurant in Baja, Animalon, and dined under a 100 year oak tree.

I know you have been to many places but here are ones we tried and would go back too since you were last down there -

Pijoan - low key and not stuffy. Arturo is the guy to see
Frannes - great place for wine and lunch
Adobe Guadalupe - really good wine and food truck at tasting room. Wife and I stayed here for our anniversary in 2019 and ever since its her favorite 'hotel' anywhere and I agree
Mina de Penelope - small production and has been known to run out of wine. Husband and wife team, she vints and he vines. His family has been growing vines for 40+ years. They are on the same property and driveway as Malva which is another superb dining experience.
Decantos Vinicola - winner for nice views of the valley and some good wine and I'm told they opened a kitchen recently
Vinos Dubacano - wide selection of wines and most grapes come from Santo Tomas area. We brought home two bottles last time there. They are nearby Las Gueritas (aka quail & rabbit lady, formerly quail lady) lunch only and a must stop between tastings imho, unless you do not like quail and rabbit grilled to order
Las Nubes - another place with nice views and good wine and you can charge your Tesla while you wait :rolleyes:
Bodegas F. Rubio - good wine and good food and if the owner is in he's a hoot
Salve Asador Campestre - grilled meat is specialty but they have seafood too
Relieve - some good wine, small bites

YMMV - we didn't do much in 2020 so........

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2021 at 07:23 PM

Thanks, we are staying at Adobe as well, first time in 5 or 6 years, always booked. I suspect covid has thinned out reservations?
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2021 at 07:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
Thanks, we are staying at Adobe as well, first time in 5 or 6 years, always booked. I suspect covid has thinned out reservations?

Adobe is numero uno. Two kinds of people - those who have stayed there and those that want to go back. :biggrin:

We have been to the valle three times since the first of the year and have not seen many gringos but have seen a lot of locals and mainlanders on holiday.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-25-2021 at 07:19 AM

Matt, what about Mustafa's? After he died, did it not stay open? It stood out because I am a big fan of lamb.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2021 at 12:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
what about Mustafa's? After he died, did it not stay open? It stood out because I am a big fan of lamb.

Yes still open. Being run by Ali's daughter Sharim and his widow, Nellie. Had breakfast there last Tuesday with Nellie and other friends from the valley. Delicious plate of nopales rancheros with a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice.

Lots of places serve lamb in the valley. Doña Estelas copied the Russos and made it big doing so. Alejandro Samarin and Andres Samaduroff were the kings of grilled lamb long before the valley became its' current version.

We spent many a pleasant afternoon under the pepper trees at Alex's ranch using grape vine wood for the fuel which Alex had pulled out because Cetto and Domecq were only paying $40.00 per ton for the grapes back in the 80s and early 90s. As a reference a ton of grapes nowadays in the valley is worth $3000.00 and up depending on the variety.

Regarding places to visit, you cannot beat the setting at Decantos. I do not drink wine so no help there.

There are two Valle de Guadalupes, the one the tourists see and the one they don't see.
Best it stays that way.

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-25-2021 at 12:57 PM

Thank you, Jorge! I guess we need to spend more than an hour or two in the valley!
The new Benchmark Atlas has a nice Valle de Guadalupe detail map, I need to study more!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2021 at 11:22 AM

We're going to a wedding at Mansarda Vineyards in a month. In addition to c-cktail hour and dinner they are having a taco bar after 10pm...love it!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.