Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bahia de Los Angeles 1st Week of August
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2021 at 02:38 PM
Bahia de Los Angeles 1st Week of August

Hello. Going to Bay of LA first week of August with a couple friends for fishing. We will be bringing a 17' Mako center console. I have not been to the Bay of LA for quite some time. Was hoping for a hotel recommendation that is close to a decent boat ramp where we can launch and then park the truck and trailer at the hotel. A hotel with some air conditioning is preferred. Muchas gracias amigos...
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2021 at 02:43 PM

Costa del Sol is the best hotel. It's a couple min drive to the ramp. The parking is small, but you can get it in there without too much trouble if you are decent at backing up. Good restaurant.

You can park the truck/trailer near the launch ramp. I leave my truck there all the time.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-27-2021 at 03:16 PM

Guillermo's is at the ramp and on the beach, for an option. Costa del Sol is on the paved road through town, right side... before you get to Guillermo's entrance, left side.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2021 at 03:35 PM

Thanks for the responses. Is the launch ramp on the south side of Guillermo's? Looking at Google maps, there appears to be multiple place to launch from.

[Edited on 5-27-2021 by drzura]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2021 at 05:27 PM

Guillermo's ramp is on the north side of the restaurant & hotel.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2021 at 05:36 PM

Here is a post by Paulina on the BahiadelosAngeles.info Facebook page about the public ramp, just south of Guillermo's: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.1477577119217243&...

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2021 at 06:32 PM

Either of the two places above are good, I vote Costa Del Sol as well but I've been happy at both.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2021 at 06:46 PM

The public ramp is the way to go. Easy to use, parking along the street or just inside the Casa Diaz area. Guillermo's has a ramp, but pretty much only their boats use it. The hotel has parking right in front of the rooms. Casa del Sol has parking too, but as JZ said, takes some maneuvering.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 5-27-2021 at 06:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by drzura  
Hello. Going to Bay of LA first week of Aug A hotel with some air conditioning is preferred. Muchas gracias amigos...

boy you got that right! :coolup:
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2021 at 07:25 PM

Hot weather == hot fishing in Bay of LA :biggrin: That's my theory anyways. I emailed Guillermo's to see if they have availability during the time we will be there. Hopefully get a response sometime this weekend. I like the vibe from the pictures I saw of Guillermo's restaurant and being next to the water. As long as the rooms have AC for sleeping, four nights anywhere should be fine. Costa del Sol will be our second choice.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-27-2021 at 08:21 PM

Hello. Going to Bay of LA first week of August… .

August?
You are flocking crazy!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 5-28-2021 at 06:42 AM

Del Sol for sure stayed there about 6 weeks ago. The AC did work in our room...you're going to need it.
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 5-28-2021 at 08:12 AM

Hard to beat Los Vientos...just a few miles from town. Air conditioning, good restaurnat and bar with pool....a few bucks more than town hotels but for us it's worth it...great and safe parking...

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2021 at 08:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Terry28  
Hard to beat Los Vientos...just a few miles from town. Air conditioning, good restaurnat and bar with pool....a few bucks more than town hotels but for us it's worth it...great and safe parking...

This is the first good review I have read of that place... Nice that they corrected all the problems of the past!

Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2021 at 07:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Hello. Going to Bay of LA first week of August… .
August?
You are flocking crazy!

Makes sense to a me, another fisherman.

BOLA BAC, Bahia de Los Angeles before air conditioning, people slept outside on their roofs or as us outside on cots and hoped for a breeze, not a wind just a breeze. The Villa Vitta hotel had a pool and left their power plant on longer than town did but they did shut it off and sleep was tough thereafter even as we shifted to the cots outside the room doors when inside became unbearable.

We hauled a 21 ft panga around in those days behind a 1988 Ford F250 diesel. Diesel was cheap then, real cheap. We found it best to bring our own gasoline and diesel fuel in 55 gallon drums as that was the only way you could be sure of having enough fuels for the time in the area. Fuels were locally available but the supply often was very iffy. We brought ice from San Quintin purchased from the commercial ice house on Hwy 1. Sometimes Joel Prieto and his brother had ice at their little business but not always. We brought what we needed.

We always took a local guide with us fishing, a practice I still use to this day even though modern electronics make it perhaps unnecessary. The ability of the local guides to put the boat on the spot using local landmarks and triangulation was an art I never mastered. But the local knowledge was incredible back then and given there were no electronics even more impressive. Well, there was LORAN, haha. I used to joke I use IFP rules while fishing. I Follow Pangas. :lol:

I agree nowadays the public ramp is the best option. But when the photo below was taken we always used the Villa Vittas ramp as we stayed there when visiting the the area to fish. Then it was well maintained, the best all tide option in the Bay and the breakwater served to create a lee from north winds.

Scan_20210529.jpg - 252kB

But those rare days we did use Guillermo's ramp you could be sure of and happy to get the Herman visit. That was always a hoot because we knew how to bait him, just ask about gold! In fact the trailer park at Guillermo's back then was loaded with characters, often very "loaded" indeed.

Next picture is Rafa Cuevas and myself on our panga. These pictures are from 1989 I believe. I had almost forget about Pen reels, oversized handles, upgraded drags. Everyone back then had a story about their stock Penn 500 Jigmaster blowing up while a another brute yellowtail was on the other end so we upgraded our Penns.. Then Newell came along and Shimano etc.. I digress. .. My first ex wife took the picture. She loved to fish.:lol:

Sorry for the hijack. The answer to goats inquiry is a resounding no he is not crazy. The fishing is usually best in those hottest months!

Scan_20210529 (2).jpg - 216kB

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2021 at 02:57 PM

Summer is our favorite time there, for the fishing and for the memories that Don Jorge shared are my memories too. We still sleep outside on the deck, but did splurge for A/C last year. Rafa is one of the few that will still put you on the spot when we use IFP and see him. Villa Vita's ramp was the best, though they often tried to charge both to launch and then to retrieve. It used to be safe to leave your panga on a line overnight, so I guess they had a point to charge twice if you used it more than once.
And Herman. I miss him.

Have a good trip.
P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-29-2021 at 03:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Jorge  

Makes sense to a me, another fisherman.

Another memorable story, Don Jorge.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2021 at 07:36 PM

Yep.. Thanks for great story Don Jorge. Sounds like a memorable time.
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2021 at 06:24 AM

guillermos ramp is no longer used

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.