Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Real Estate attorney?
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2021 at 01:11 PM
Real Estate attorney?

Anyone have contact info for a good one? I think I've seen some recommendations from a couple ppl in La Paz.

I'll try to search as well.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

KRB
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2021 at 04:19 PM

I have used Bismark Ortega for several transaction and have been happy with his service

bom@consultinglaw.net
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2021 at 06:28 AM

Lic. Jose L. Gaytan
Attorney at Law
http://www.gaytanlegalservices.com/
Office: 011-52-612 122 2033
Cell: 011-52-612 348 5566
Office Address: Guillermo Prieto #1310,
Corner with 5 de Mayo, La Paz. B.C.S., C.P. 23000, Mexico.
Email address: jose@gaytanlegalservices.com / jlgaytan66@hotmail.com
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2021 at 09:13 AM

NOT Gaytan! Many, many people here have used him and most have ended up with contracts that are as good as toilet paper. Our Notary, who is the real attorney here in Mexico, told me years ago that my contract through Gaytan was illegal and that I should never show it to anybody. Thank God I learned my lesson without consequences. Have learned many others haven't been so lucky.
NO NEED for a real estate attorney in Mexico! Only a notario!
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-30-2021 at 09:26 AM

Do not use Alonzo Lopez either!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2021 at 10:05 AM

Full disclosure: I've never worked with attorney Rafael Solorzano, but I appreciate his Baja Legal Advice group on Facebook. I believe he practices out of Tijuana.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 5-30-2021 at 10:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
Full disclosure: I've never worked with attorney Rafael Solorzano, but I appreciate his Baja Legal Advice group on Facebook. I believe he practices out of Tijuana.

he just began a series of you tube videos dealing with his area of expertise
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAJe_yO1z_3tKaQ_6KZK70Q

[Edited on 5-30-2021 by Don Pisto]

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
healthdetective
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2021 at 02:02 PM

Regarding Rafael Solarzano...

I worked with him and do not recommend him. . He was very professional until my deposit was received. Then after waiting three months on forming a fideicomiso to purchase a property in Punta Chivato I contacted him to find out he did absolutely nothing. After inquiring why that was he became very irate and unprofessional (profanites included). When I told him I no longer required his services and requested an itemized bill to settle up our affairs a bill appeared and was magically exactly the thousands of dollars I fronted him. If you choose to use him, buyer beware.

“The average man does not want to be free. He simply wants to be safe.” — Mencken
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2021 at 02:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by charliemanson  
NOT Gaytan!

With your user name I'm not sure I believe anything you say.

I just read an old thread were 5 Nomads spoke well of Gaytan. Gnukid makes it 6.

What is your evidence to the contrary?

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2021 at 03:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by healthdetective  
Regarding Rafael Solarzano...

I worked with him and do not recommend him. . He was very professional until my deposit was received. Then after waiting three months on forming a fideicomiso to purchase a property in Punta Chivato I contacted him to find out he did absolutely nothing. After inquiring why that was he became very irate and unprofessional (profanites included). When I told him I no longer required his services and requested an itemized bill to settle up our affairs a bill appeared and was magically exactly the thousands of dollars I fronted him. If you choose to use him, buyer beware.

Well I did say that I had never worked with him, so I appreciate the first-hand account of someone who has. I guess it goes to show that free advice online doesn't necessarily translate to a good experience in person.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 5-31-2021 at 10:05 AM

I'm working with Rafael right now and am very happy with his services. We talk every few days to discuss the issues we are working on. He has been very helpful with getting things in order and also letting us know what are our best options for future taxes that will come into play.
Wouldn't use anyone else. :bounce:
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2021 at 12:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by charliemanson  
NOT Gaytan!

With your user name I'm not sure I believe anything you say.

I just read an old thread were 5 Nomads spoke well of Gaytan. Gnukid makes it 6.

What is your evidence to the contrary?

Not that I have any evidence per say just personal experience .
I think many people who use a real estate attorney are not comfortable with just a notary. Maybe because they don't speak the language, or don't know how things work and feel they have to have an attorney which is incorrect. I was one of them until I met my Mexican wife who has schooled me on much, including this issue.

I sold some of my property holdings here with a gringo and went through Gaytan....long story but when my wife and I went through the transfer, only through a Notary as I had learned there is no attorney needed, he, largest in La Paz rolled his eyes when he saw Gaytan had done the “contract“ and told use that the contract was not even a contract and it fact was an illegal transaction. Luckly the notary had been a long time family notary of my wife's family and dealt with the situation.
Had I not learned this, the sale of property to (what has turned into a good friend) the buyer would have been null and void and he would have lost all.

A real estate attorney down here is no more than a middleman between buyers and sellers and the notary. Period.

Do as you want and believe what you will but be careful with Gaytan if you are too insecure to go direct with the person who does the transaction and need an expensive translator.

Just sayin

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2022 at 09:36 AM

Lawyers are not needed for property sale in general in Baja and the vast majority of transactions do not use a lawyer, a Notario does the transaction, but they may be able to help or they can cause errors, the contract is just a document to agree on terms between the buyer and seller, the actual Titulo is the actual document.

Every time I used Gaytan or reviewed the paperwork he has kids do the work and they make errors, including names, spellings, and numbers, but, it's the job of the seller and buyer to read and validate the info. It's frustrating. But he is flexible and patient, and available to resolve the issues.

The notario doesn't do much verification of those values either, so you need to take time to read it and be sure it is correct before close. If you are a foreigner you need a Fidicomiso which may be drawn up by the bank or lawyer or you can do it yourself.

There are always errors and issues. not sure why, seems like lack of attention to detail? There are other types of paper pushers that seem more diligent.

[Edited on 6-25-2022 by gnukid]
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2022 at 09:50 AM

JZ make that 7 for Gaytan.
We used him in 2018 with our lot purchase and it was a long convoluted process because we purchased it when the banks were moving the fideicomisos between banks. The fidi needed to be dissolved so that we could have our land in an escritura. The process took nine months to complete and Jose was in constant contact throughout the process. Would definitely use him again with any future transactions.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-25-2022 at 09:53 AM

Is this a situation in which you don't need a lawyer, unless the other party has one?

Is it likely that even a mediocre attorney will prevail in a dispute with someone that is unrepresented?

[Edited on 6-25-2022 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2022 at 10:15 AM

We used Jose Gaytan, no problems from his end, but La Paz municipality clerk did enter our names incorrectly on the title. Jose sent someone down to correct the error, as well as check our tax account when the municipality failed to send a receipt this year. We also gave him power of attorney for our holdings as papers had to be signed on our behalf when we were not there.
Escrow fees and filing fees were all stated up front with no surprises, and then he helped us pay our first taxes online. The whole transaction including Notary appointments went extremely fast without any other issues. Nothing but praise for his work including very rapid replies to all our questions.
Notary did do the Fideicomiso and thats where I would have checked closely for any spelling errors, thankfully there were none.
As a side benefit, we had his office correct the construction contract errors with our builder, which he did at no additional cost.
As with most papers I sign that are this important I check everything carefully myself before i commit.

[Edited on 6-25-2022 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
Both Oceans

[*] posted on 6-25-2022 at 03:33 PM
Save Money and don't use an Attorney

I use Lic. Karla Estrella Espinoza Barraza/Cel. 615 15 5 9929.
She was the sitting/acting Notario in Santa Rosalia for several years, covering for Lic. Santillan, while he is out campaigning or doing what ever he does or dose not. Unlike Santillan, she is awesome and honest. She was the one that attorney would take their paper work too have done because NO attorney can do anything without the NOTARIO, therefor she knows ALL the ends and outs needed . She was the one that unraveled UDO's paperwork and delivered a Clean and Clear title. I've used her for properties on both sides of the peninsula and on the Main Land. She is well educated and has a Law Degree and is a Legal Attorney as well.

[Edited on 6-25-2022 by Both Oceans]
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2022 at 06:54 PM

Sorry have no recos or comments on the above posts.

Only want to say an Attorney in Mexico is not what Americans think of in the USA.

Real estate transactions are best handled by Notario.

If you are the type that runs contracts/purchases past your US advisors, CPA/Attorney for example, just be aware they do not perform the same functions etc. YMMV HTH

~ Lori

boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 6-26-2022 at 07:17 AM

I highly recommend Alba Walker in La Paz. Her company is The Paper Chase:
Office 612-165-6503
Cell 612-157-7285
She is very professional and her fees are very reasonable.

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 6-27-2022 at 10:02 AM

We used these guys in 2014

Frederick W. Hill, PC
Overton, Lyman & Prince LLP
500 South Grand Ave, 19th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90071

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.