Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Buying a new car at a Mex dealershio
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2021 at 07:08 AM
Buying a new car at a Mex dealershio

Does anybody here have experience buying a new car at a Mexican dealership? Is there price negotiation as in the US or do you pay the advertised price? No loan involved.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-9-2021 at 07:34 AM

The value added tax placed on all vehicles imported, or manufactured in Mexico, may push the cost higher than you could negotiate with a dealer north of the border.

I would be interested in hearing from someone who actually has personal experience in this matter. I have never shopped for a car SOB.

[Edited on 6-9-2021 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2021 at 07:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
The value added tax placed on all vehicles imported, or manufactured in Mexico, may push the cost higher than you could negotiate with a dealer north of the border.

I would be interested in hearing from someone who actually has personal experience in this matter. I have never shopped for a car SOB.

[Edited on 6-9-2021 by AKgringo]

I'm going for a new car registered in Mexico, that's why I want to know if the price is negotiated at Mex dealerships or do you just pay the advertised price.

[Edited on 6-9-2021 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
nandopedal
Nomad

Mood: Negra Modelo

[*] posted on 6-9-2021 at 08:47 AM

Ok I have never done that, but your question did spark curiosity and being that I am fluent in spanish (First language) I started looking on the net about it, so far I cannot find and answer to that specifically but while searching I came across an article from this year on a Mexico city newspaper with prices on some 2021 models and so surprise to see that they were around 10 to 12 thousand dollars!
The article is in "El Universal" "Los autos 2021 mas baratos en Mexico"
Hope that helps.

\"There are many dangers in Baja. The most serious of which is not going.\" Christophe Noel (EXPO)
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2021 at 09:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by nandopedal  
Ok I have never done that, but your question did spark curiosity and being that I am fluent in spanish (First language) I started looking on the net about it, so far I cannot find and answer to that specifically but while searching I came across an article from this year on a Mexico city newspaper with prices on some 2021 models and so surprise to see that they were around 10 to 12 thousand dollars!
The article is in "El Universal" "Los autos 2021 mas baratos en Mexico"
Hope that helps.

Thanks for looking into it. It will be interesting to see what the Mex price is compared to the US price. I'm sure that the concept of "what the market will bear" comes into the pricing and Americans can "bear" more.

RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2021 at 09:33 AM

No first hand experience but have had a few friends (4) buy new vehicles at dealerships in La Paz, BCS. (Two Ford Rangers, a Nissan Frontier, and a Mitsubishi)

The vehicles are sold at essentially list price. Negotiations seem to stop at $100 - $150 US below the manufacturer's internet published prices.

However, Mexico's prices on "national" models are FAR below US prices.

We looked at Nissan Frontier 4x4's about four years ago. The first question asked by the salesperson was if we wanted a "national" model or a US model.

The two trucks were parked side by side on the sales floor. The "national" model was about $23,000 US and the "US" model was $41,000 US!

"National" models can not be imported to or registered in the US. They can be driven in the US with Mexican plates just as your US-plated vehicle can be driven in Mexico for a "visit".
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 6-9-2021 at 09:49 AM

cool! what are thinking of buying?

https://qroo.us/2018/01/09/mexico-a-look-at-buying-a-new-car...

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-9-2021 at 10:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
cool! what are thinking of buying?

https://qroo.us/2018/01/09/mexico-a-look-at-buying-a-new-car...

Good link! It answered a couple of questions that I was thinking of.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2021 at 10:59 AM

Good info guys, thanks. We want a Toyota RAV4. Certainly nothing bigger.

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2021 at 11:40 AM

I've also seen some sweet looking "Semi Nuevos". Fish Taco guy is driving Honda CR-V that looked like new and he loved the price. My 2001 Honda is more like Semi Gastado, ha, ha!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2021 at 04:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RnR  

We looked at Nissan Frontier 4x4's about four years ago. The first question asked by the salesperson was if we wanted a "national" model or a US model.

The two trucks were parked side by side on the sales floor. The "national" model was about $23,000 US and the "US" model was $41,000 US!

"National" models can not be imported to or registered in the US. They can be driven in the US with Mexican plates just as your US-plated vehicle can be driven in Mexico for a "visit".

I haven't been able to find additional info about that, but I'm looking.

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 6-9-2021 at 04:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by RnR  

I haven't been able to find additional info about that, but I'm looking.

yeah lack of smog and safety equipment make em unregister-able up there...

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
amigobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2021 at 08:35 AM

See if you can find i think its qroo paul.Expat that blogs,youtube videos and spanish lessons about how to all things expat living in mex. He has done the reseach on car buying and if i remember correctly buying a new car you might get them to throw in floor mats. I also understand by law dealers have to post the selling price on the car.
I do have a personal friend that bought 2019 ford pickup. He is a retired dealer and with the exchange rate he figures he saved about 16k.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.