Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Car freezer/refrig
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2021 at 09:01 AM

Are these refers more electrically efficient than a regular fridge with the same volume?

I would be running it off a solar panel - battery - inverter system.

A simple dormitory-sized refer would meet my needs.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2021 at 03:35 PM

last year my brother bought 2 from Costco. Still working fine and pull about 40watts each when the compressor is running.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-13-2021 at 04:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Are these refers more electrically efficient than a regular fridge with the same volume?

I think that one huge advantage that these chest freezers have over a dorm fridge, is that the cold, dense air inside doesn't dump out on the floor every time the door is opened.

i don't know enough about them to comment on the efficiency.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2021 at 04:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

I think that one huge advantage that these chest freezers have over a dorm fridge, is that the cold, dense air inside doesn't dump out on the floor every time the door is opened.

True, I'll just set it on its back with the doors up. :lol:

But, you're right.

[Edited on 6-13-2021 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 6-13-2021 at 04:58 PM

True, I'll just set it on its back with the doors up. :lol:

But, you're right.

[Edited on 6-13-2021 by SFandH]

Never run any refrigerator or freezer on it's side. Even bringing it home from the store, if you had it on it's side during transportation you should give it a few hours in it's intended orientation before starting it. This gives the oil in the compressor an opportunity to run down and settle where it should be.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2021 at 05:07 PM

I was kidding.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2021 at 05:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
AC plug into the wall at home. Generator in a camp.
DC They all draw 7 amps when compressor operates. less than 1 amp otherwise.
1) operate it off an aux battery when truck in not in use. Good for 5+ days with a group 65 battery. Lithium pack cost much more and last more days.
2) wire it the the truck start battery, Good for a couple of days. But be sure you have a portable jump start.
I use all the above.
=== = =

Thanks Paul. Very helpful. I have a huge marine igloo cooler I use in the truck. Love it, but it eats up the ice. Might have to give a Dometic a try.

Wife bought me an outdoor fridge for the patio last year. Kinda wished it was one of these portable coolers.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2021 at 07:24 AM

Good info on how to run the fridge. I have dual batteries in my jeep and run off of the back up. The ARB has three voltage settings, High, med and low, it will short stroke the compressor if the voltage get low so it doesn't kill your battery. This way your food doesn't get spoiled and your battery killed all in one shot.
The newer models Bluetooth to your phone and will alert if voltage or temp drop below a set temp. I always have a jump box just incase but find if you start your rig a couple of times each day or run a small solar panel it's all good for several days depending on outside temps.
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2021 at 07:43 AM

We use a Whytner 65 fridge freezer. Works great, mostly.

But, ambient temperatures need to be under 90 F for it to cool properly.
In Baja during the summer months this can be a problem if you have the unit outside in the truck bed or at a campsite as we discovered one summer fishing trip several years ago.

Just something to be aware of when using these type of coolers.

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-14-2021 at 07:49 AM

I still use an old school ice chest. It is a cube, which is large enough for me and my dog, but not for a group! I extend the ice life by setting it on a 2 foot square of dense foam flooring material. It is also wrapped with one of those small blankets that Harbor Freight sells as moving pads.

Even if I decided to upgrade to one of the refrigerated units, I would want to keep it covered, but they must need to discharge heat from the condenser unit, so how it is packed in the vehicle would be a concern.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2021 at 07:54 AM

What advrider said applies to every frig/freezer on the market. Apparently the chip being used is sold to anybody.

For sure bluetooth is a modern advancement and not used on the older designs. These Chinese designers are pretty smart to meet the modern desires of the public.
Just remember to be sure you carry a jump start for your vehicle.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2021 at 08:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Good info on how to run the fridge. I have dual batteries in my jeep and run off of the back up. The ARB has three voltage settings, High, med and low, it will short stroke the compressor if the voltage get low so it doesn't kill your battery. This way your food doesn't get spoiled and your battery killed all in one shot.
The newer models Bluetooth to your phone and will alert if voltage or temp drop below a set temp. I always have a jump box just incase but find if you start your rig a couple of times each day or run a small sola
r panel it's all good for several days depending on outside temps.
my old arb does none of that, but it freeze ice in the hottest weather, you just need power. I run 150 watts of panels.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2021 at 07:22 PM

I have the optional cover on my ARB and try to keep it covered and out of the sun when I can. You have to be aware that there are exhaust and intake ports on each side that need a little room to work.
I've had mine in 100 + temps and it still keeps everything cold no problem. When it's in the SUV I try to park in the shade ling term or open the hatch if parked at camp. Pretty awesome piece of equipment for being out in the wild for extended periods of time. We use ours on every road trip we take and love having cold drink and dry snacks on hand.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2021 at 11:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

all portable fridge/freezers have Danfoss compressors - Engel is the exception.
Whynter and Dometic are one and the same - simple design lowest prices of all. Sometimes they have slightly blemished ones on sale. 60 qt for around $300.

Used to be the case. Many Chinese brands now with different compressors.

Whynter 60qt fridge-freezer combo (i.e. 2 compartments) runs $500-600, dual-zone Dometic - don't remember, $800 or $1,000.

Right now everything camping is in short supply. In winter there used to be Chinese dual-zone Alpicool, 60qt for $300, some of them have LG compressor for a few more bucks, but I don't see it on Amazon now. Also Costway and Bodega, same thing as Alpi (also rarely available). I have Alpi 50 with LG, very quiet, nice wheels - you can't safely lift 50qt box full of goodies. So-so performance like all such small boxes, in dual zone it draws 40-60 AH per 24 hours. Temperature inside goes down to 0F freezer 36F fridge, takes 12 hours to get there and when you shut it down it rises back to 70 overnight. I still see them on Aliexpress but not on Amazon.

There is also dual-zone Iceco with Danfoss compressor, $800 for 60qt box: https://www.amazon.com/ICECO-Refrigerator-Compressor-Insulat... Get the cover too.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2021 at 11:48 PM

60-90qt portable boxes are not very efficient. 50qt dual-zone portable draws 40-60 AH per 24 hours, depending on the ambient. Less if you use the whole box as a fridge, i.e. single-zone. 90qt is mere 3 cu.ft, this would make a very small dorm fridge. It doesn't need an inverter, it runs on 12V. They usually come with AC-DC wall-wart as well.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2021 at 05:40 AM

I still use an old school ice chest. It is a cube, which is large enough for me and my dog, but not for a group! I extend the ice life by setting it on a 2 foot square of dense foam flooring material. It is also wrapped with one of those small blankets that Harbor Freight sells as moving pads.

I use an old white towel and keep it wet, the evaporation keeps the ice longer, just keep the towel wet/damp. Also have a piece of silver mylar sunshield cut to cover it all if no shade.

Unfortunately, I need something bear resistant for when I leave my truck at a trailhead or camp in bear country as in Wyoming.

John

[Edited on 6-15-2021 by John Harper]
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2021 at 06:02 AM

I did not know about Whynter
When I bought my Dometic years back the owners manual included was from Wayco. Later I bought another Dometic and the manual was from Dometic.
Later I read a business report that Dometic bought Wayco and moved the operation from AU to USA.
=====
Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

Whynter and Dometic are one and the same - simple design lowest prices of all. Sometimes they have slightly blemished ones on sale. 60 qt for around $300.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2021 at 06:10 AM

Some battery and frig performance.
My frig battery is a Odyssey group 65 71AH at the 7 amp rate, And that equals 10 hours until depletion.
My frig is good for more than 5 days while parked for camping and the unit in frig mode. That means the 7 amp load is pretty short.
Your experience will not be the same.

Anyway 40-60 AH per 24 hours is an extreme load, and is way higher than my experience.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2021 at 07:43 AM

I have a 30 watt panel permanently mounted on the camper. It will power the camper and frig. forever with decent sun. Turn it up to freeze and you need much more, 150 watts more.

Batteries. 2 starting in the diesel truck, 2 large (expensive) agm deep cycles in the camper.

[Edited on 6-15-2021 by msteve1014]
Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2021 at 09:28 AM

I have an Engel MT45 120v AC/12v DC single zone fridge/freezer in my offroad trailer that has run nearly 24/7 since I acquired it in 2004. [ARB fridges were rebranded Engels during that time period.] No issues in 17 years of operation

I also have a Dometic CF95DZ dual zone fridge/freezer in my Sprinter that also runs 24/7. It came with the Sprinter, which I purchased last year. The previous owner used it for about 3 years.

A friend recently acquired an IceCo 12v fridge/freezer that he keeps in his SUV. He speaks highly of the brand.

Interesting video review of several 12v fridges here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ija2LmLVZHA

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.