Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Car freezer/refrig
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 6-15-2021 at 09:31 AM

We have had the 54L model of this refer/freezer for over a year. It runs 12/24V and stays cold in a hot (Mexico) car even when off. It has a handle and wheels. Additionally it has a top mounted compressor. (Important in a loaded car) It is very low draw and shuts down to save your car battery. The side handles are recessed so as not to take up storage space and make narrow passages simpler.

We also use it as a spare refer/freezer in the house because of the really low current draw.

When we drive through Mexico we run it for days at a time! When we bought it we paid about $280 for the larger model (54L)

I can recommend it highly!

1DD0FE39-DEB4-46D5-B9F2-260C64EEC595.jpeg - 226kB
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2021 at 10:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mr. Bills  
I have an Engel MT45 120v AC/12v DC single zone fridge/freezer in my offroad trailer that has run nearly 24/7 since I acquired it in 2004. [ARB fridges were rebranded Engels during that time period.] No issues in 17 years of operation

I also have a Dometic CF95DZ dual zone fridge/freezer in my Sprinter that also runs 24/7. It came with the Sprinter, which I purchased last year. The previous owner used it for about 3 years.

A friend recently acquired an IceCo 12v fridge/freezer that he keeps in his SUV. He speaks highly of the brand.

Interesting video review of several 12v fridges here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ija2LmLVZHA

A lot of good info in that video. Dometic is well known for slapping its logo on a variety of RV products they import so I'm skeptical they are worth a premium.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2021 at 04:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

My frig battery is a Odyssey group 65 71AH at the 7 amp rate, And that equals 10 hours until depletion.
My frig is good for more than 5 days while parked for camping and the unit in frig mode. That means the 7 amp load is pretty short.
Your experience will not be the same.

Anyway 40-60 AH per 24 hours is an extreme load, and is way higher than my experience.

Depends on the unit size and on whether you use it as all-freezer, dual mode, or all-fridge. It draws less (much less) when in all-fridge mode and in energy-saving mode when it has such a mode.

40-60 AH is 50qt unit in dual mode, with compressor in boost mode, freezer set to 0F and fridge set to 36F. The way these small boxes work, there is no steady 40F - it's too small. When set to 40, the temperature on display goes down to 34, rises to 46, then compressor kicks in and it goes down to 34 again and so on. So I set it to 36 and 0 to make sure that it doesn't go over 40 and 4. The drawback is that it draws more energy.

In all-fridge mode, set to 40, I would expect it to draw less than 20 AH per 24 hours.

Here is a comparison of several fridges, scroll down to see the table: https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-and-hiking/po.... They all draw same power when running, except for a much smaller Engel. Duty cycle depends on how well it is insulated. Alpicool, Costway and Bodega have poorly insulated lid, people are usually adding Reflectix sheets on the lid and on the sides, this is on my to-do list. Separate lids for fridge and freezer like in Iceco VL60 help conserving energy too.

In that table Whynter looks distinctive from Dometic - much lower price, different design, I don't think they are the same only relabeled. Dometic did purchase Australian Waeco brand and also Tundra, the latter was a built-in fridge for RVs and boats.

[Edited on 6-15-2021 by Alm]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-15-2021 at 04:50 PM

For you traditionalists,…
RTIC coolers on sale right now.
Like Yeti, but not priced like Gucci

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Whiskey Witch
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2021 at 06:17 AM

We had a Dometic 53 quart for >10 years. Ran it 10 months a year in boat and car. Sold it off while it was still working. Bought an Aspenora in February, working great so far. If you're using it in a tight space, consider how the lid opens or if it comes off completely as did our Dometic.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-18-2021 at 04:20 PM

I have owned an ARB (made in Australia) for about 17 years. It has served me well for both off and on-road trips. I use it at home as well as a spare small freezer.
It freezes down to about -4º F.

When I purchased it the price was close to $500.00 USD.
A couple of years ago I had to purchase a new locking handle. They sent it to me from Australia at no charge.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-19-2021 at 08:27 PM

Is there no one still putting the Sawafuji/swing compressor in their units?

Our Norcold from about 15 years ago is still running. It says it draws 1.3a@120v or 2.1@12v. It has the above compressor.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2021 at 07:46 PM

ARB customer service is some of the best I've ever had. I had a problem with my 15 year old plug on my fridge, I called and asked about a replacement and they said they had changed the design and where can we send it! I felt bad asking for a second as a backup and it too was sent for free.
A few other ARB items I have needed they always take care of or sell a cost and ship for free.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2021 at 07:10 AM

ARB sells stuff with higher margin than competitors and that allows them to provide better service in the aftermarket. This applies to their mechanical parts as well as refrigerators.
Turns out they sell good stuff and so do most of the competitors. So the buyer must decide it good service is worth the extra cost.
Many of us think the ARB higher margin is excessive based on the performance of competing products.
One must face the reality refrigerator/freezer is a pretty stable design that is very mature that has been around for years. Lots of competitive stuff out there that are all pretty darn reliable now days.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 6-22-2021 at 08:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
We also have an ArkPak lithium battery to keep the fridge cold when vehicle isn't running and no electricity available. It will keep it cold for days.

I am impressed-- how big is this battery? You have a model number or some other way to find it?

Here's the website:

https://www.arkportablepower.com/pages/about-the-arkpak

It appears you can use an AGM battery or lithium as mentioned above. Seems like a sophisticated transformer/charge controller.

John

[Edited on 6-12-2021 by John Harper]

Thanks for posting the website John. We have the bigger of the batteries. I run it down to perhaps 40% then recharge. I am amazed how how long it keeps the fridge cool in a hot car. I think we have the solar components but we have never used it. I also like that it had ports for charging from USB connectors (phones, iPads, etc.).
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2021 at 12:03 PM

Arkpac - Very poor value
Way expensive for use by folks that want goodies to charge gadgets
I use a plain old AGM start battery that works just fine in moderate temperature for 4 days without running the Jeep to charge it.
Looking a cost/performance numbers for several AGM units
Selected choices
Odyssey Group 65 start battery $260, 62AH
Odyssey G31 deep cycle $320, 100AH
Lifeline G31 deep cycle $365, 105AH
ArkPac $450 + battery like one of the above or one with even more AH and more cost.
A little bit of wiring and some $5-10 adapters and you get all the features of the Arcpac without the cost of the Arcpac.
It was suggested I find a 130AH unit but the ones I found are off brand and not listed as AGM, however non AGM ones are always less costly.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2021 at 04:05 PM

Arcpac is funny, $450 an empty battery box with 300W inverter. Fairly decent pure sine 300W inverter costs $160-180 but you'll need of course to buy a couple of $10 starter cables to put between battery and inverter.

Speaking of batteries, 100-200 AH Lithium are becoming increasingly popular with car campers and RV-ers. Drop-in 12V Li in $ per AH through battery life are now cheaper than mid-tier AGM. Battleborn - probably the most expensive brand - $900 per 100AH, Lifeblue with built-in Bluetooth monitor $800, dozens US resellers of Chinese brands sell for less than $500. 100 AH Lithium gives you 80 AH usable charge with a few thousand cycles, 100 AH AGM - 50 AH usable charge with 500-600 cycles and 70 lbs weight if you have to move it. I opted for 120 AH Li, 100 AH usable charge, so far so good. 32 lbs weight is so much better than 70.

[Edited on 6-23-2021 by Alm]
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 6-22-2021 at 07:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Is there no one still putting the Sawafuji/swing compressor in their units?

Our Norcold from about 15 years ago is still running. It says it draws 1.3a@120v or 2.1@12v. It has the above compressor.

only Engel uses a swing compressor
all others use Danfoss

Harald Pietschmann
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2021 at 10:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
an overlanding friend came to visit in La Paz a few years back.
His beautiful Engel went out.
Parts in Mexico - unobtainable.
2 months and $500 later he had his part.
$35 for the same Whynter part
My Engel died last year after running continuously for 15 years, mostly as a deep freeze in our home before we had utility power. I called Engel, and for $330, including shipping, they sent me a complete new cooling system which took about a half hour to install. They have excellent customer service.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
BajaMama
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2021 at 11:32 AM

I got clarification - Yes the ArcPak is just a box with converter., we have the 730 https://www.etrailer.com/Portable-Chargers/Ark/AP730US.html?... The LifePo Deep Cycle Battery https://battlebornbatteries.com/product/100ah-12v-gc2-lifepo... All I know is they work fabulously, we will use next week in the Sierras during some warmer weather.

[Edited on 7-5-2021 by BajaMama]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2021 at 03:33 PM

Is there a need in an inverter for a 12V fridge that runs on 12V battery? People don't usually carry AC devices on a car camping trip other than a phone or laptop. Phone can be charged - albeit slowly - via USB cig lighter thingy off your car battery or USB port on the 12V fridge, some models have it, my Alpicool does. With laptop there are other solutions, though I would rather leave laptop home when losing myself in a beautiful Baja for a few days.
Timinator
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2021 at 07:05 AM

Buy two 6V golf cart batteries and wire in series for 12v. You'll have 220+ AH of power and only have $200 invested.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2021 at 08:15 AM

Can you charge a 12V lithium-ion deep cycle battery by plugging it into a wall or into your car Or is the inverter required for charging the battery?

I like not having too much of a fuss to charge it, but curious is there is an easier way? Or is there just a less expensive way?

[Edited on 7-6-2021 by BajaMama]
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2021 at 11:47 AM

After or even during use the battery has to be charged.
They make specific 110v or 12v chargers for LION batteries.
The size of charger is a function of LION voltage and how many amp hours the battery has.
Many of us would choose low charge rate which is less expensive but takes longer to charge.
If that is to technical then a call to the battery manufacturer will result in a recommendation for a charger.
Then use Google to find its best price.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2021 at 06:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
After or even during use the battery has to be charged.
They make specific 110v or 12v chargers for LION batteries.
The size of charger is a function of LION voltage and how many amp hours the battery has.
Many of us would choose low charge rate which is less expensive but takes longer to charge.
If that is to technical then a call to the battery manufacturer will result in a recommendation for a charger.
Then use Google to find its best price.

I was asking because some were indicating that the ArcPac is not needed, though I really like how it works. The charge system with the ArcPac takes about 6 hours to go from 40% to 100%.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.