BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Planning to take a 32 foot Toy Hauler to Pismo Beach next month; Need some advice
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2021 at 09:56 PM
Planning to take a 32 foot Toy Hauler to Pismo Beach next month; Need some advice

LOA of the trailer is 37 foot. Dual axle. Will be loaded with a RZR.

My truck is a 3/4 ton with 33 inch e-load tires on an 18 inch rim. Usually run at 75 PSI when pulling something heavy. 60-65 normally. Run 35 PSI off-road. 18 in sand.

Give me some guidance on how to take the trailer in. You have to drive about a mile or so down the beach before you can pick your spot.

What tide should we go for? What tire pressure on the truck? Does tire pressure on the trailer matter? Should I unload the RZR first?

What's your approach on laying it up on the sand at the camping spot?

[Edited on 6-14-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2021 at 11:34 PM

JZ,
I don't have any specifics on Pismo. From my decades of towing trailers to Gordon's Well, Buttercup, Glamis, etc. I have some general advice.

A 32' toy hauler is heavy, and will have a heavy footprint on tandem vs. triple axles. Certainly you should reduce the air pressure on the truck and on the trailer. My experience is that lowering the tire pressure on the tow vehicle nearly doubles it's capability. Air down all four tires, important even when the vehicle is only 2WD. But, I'm assuming that you have 4WD, and hopefully at least one locking diff. Don't even think about towing that trailer anywhere near sand with 2WD.

The trailer should also be aired down. Full air pressure will be like dragging a massive anchor. The tires will sink in and carve a trench. The idea is to "float" on top of the sand as much as possible without damaging tires (rim cuts) or having a tire unseat from the bead.

I could throw out some guesstimate numbers, but you'd probably be better off eyeballing the tire footprint and sidewall bulge. You could go as low as 10 psi on an SUV or unloaded 1/2 ton. Your 3/4-ton with gear and tongue weight, I'd guess 14 or 15 psi. That's about what I run with a 1-ton 4x4 van, 33" x 16" on BFG all terrain KO2's.

Air down on pavement or firm dirt. Watch the sidewall bulge. Stop before there is any indication that it could rim cut or if there is a tendency to fold/crease rather than a smooth rounded bulge. I've had some tires with stiff sidewalls that tended to fold/crease when aired down too far, rather than make a uniform bulge. Airing down too much can increase the chances of unseating a bead, especially when cornering aggressively.

I can't guess about the trailer; too many variables, tire/rim size, load range, total weight over the axles. I had a 20' enclosed trailer on tandem axles containing sand rail, parts, tools, water, gas, etc. If I recall correctly, 15 psi seemed to be a good number.

One strategy that I often use is airing down part way, leaving an additional 4-5 psi above my projected minimum as "insurance". I observe how the rig does at that air pressure. If it starts to dig in, get off the throttle immediately. Then let out more air, and you will have some feel for what margin of safety there is. If you start out at the minimum air pressure and find the rig won't make it, you''d better have good friends with big 4x4's.

A few other tips:
Don't get stuck below the high tide line. (Especially important in the San Felipe area). My personal rule is "Don't drive below the tide line." Salt water, even from wet sand, is extremely destructive to the vehicle.
Keep your speed up, 15 mph to 20 mph. Use your low range so that you will have the available torque (twisting action) to the tires when you need it.
Plan all turns and U-turns in advance. Stay high, and turn downhill. In other words, use your straight-line momentum to get on high ground. Then point slightly downhill to make your turn.
Plan your stopping or parking in advance. You want the tow vehicle pointing downhill when stopping, with the trailer lined up straight behind it. So that when you pull away, gravity is assisting, not fighting. It will take very little incline to bring your rig to a halt.
When you need to gain momentum, or are struggling to maintain momentum, drive a straight line. Turning the tires in sand creates huge resistance, like throwing an anchor.
Hi-Lift jack with thick plywood base (double 3/4" by 18" x 18") recommended. And a "real" snatch strap (tow strap) 3" or 4" like 40K lbs., two 3/4" shackles. Bring an air compressor and accurate gauge.

Enjoy Pismo Beach while you can. The Calif. Coastal Commission has a plan to close Oceano Dunes State Vehicular Recreation Area by 2024.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-14-2021 at 12:22 AM

Nice quiet day at the beach, not too many yahoos....you will be in good company smelling the freedom of your toes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnYRcEA0OnA

Looks like a parking lot to me.

Maybe air down your ego a bit...:lol:

Don't believe everything you think....
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-14-2021 at 01:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Nice quiet day at the beach, not too many yahoos....you will be in good company smelling the freedom of your toes...

Shorty mcjizzy will fit right in with all the redneck knuckledraggers!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2021 at 01:06 AM

Why you keep stalking me on this board I have no idea.

At least this time you didn't search the internet for every college football forum, boating forum, and Chevy truck forum I post on.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-14-2021 at 06:42 AM

It is hard to add anything to the excellent advice that Maderita posted, especially since all my beach towing was with a much smaller combo, but a couple of things come to mind.

Drive like your truck has no reverse gear, because backing up is a sure fire way to get messed up!

Know what the tide is going to be doing, and plan your arrival and departure on an outgoing tide! I know that wet sand is salty, but if it is well drained, it is the best traction and support. On an incoming tide, the wet sand will liquify quickly, and get worse by the minute if you start to have problems.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2021 at 06:48 AM

jiz, just stand on the throttle as soon as you get to the soft sand. horse power will be all that is required. have a good time.
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2021 at 08:21 AM

Is that rig a pull trailer or 5th wheel? If it's a pull trailer and has a GVWR 10001 # or greater, then a class A license is required. 5th wheel exceeding 15001 # will require a non-commercial endorsement on a class C license.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2021 at 08:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaParrothead  
Is that rig a pull trailer or 5th wheel? If it's a pull trailer and has a GVWR 10001 # or greater, then a class A license is required. 5th wheel exceeding 15001 # will require a non-commercial endorsement on a class C license.

It isn't a 5th wheel. 8,800 lbs dry.

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2021 at 08:39 AM

Don’t forget the advice on this forum on airing down.

88A9E455-2846-4596-9872-5816739A126F.jpeg - 29kB
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 6-14-2021 at 08:42 AM

JZ, no one mentioned it yet but I would pull the RZR out of the trailer and drive it separately to your camping spot. Maybe even in advance to check out your angle of attack.

If you can load it up with other heavy stuff from the trailer even better.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-14-2021 at 08:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

shorty mcjizzy,
with 8800 dry wt, then then the GVWR is almost certainly over 10001

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2021 at 09:02 AM

check your U2U bud
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-14-2021 at 09:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajabus  
JZ, no one mentioned it yet but I would pull the RZR out of the trailer and drive it separately to your camping spot. Maybe even in advance to check out your angle of attack.

If you can load it up with other heavy stuff from the trailer even better.

Good advice! I drove a Chevy Astro van on a beach for the first time, with a Zodiac strapped to the top. I started spinning way too much, and the tide was coming in, so we unloaded the boat right there.

With the weight of the Zodiac, motor, gas cans, and two people out of the van, I was able to drive right out of the soft spot! The Zodiac drivers had a good time running the few miles down to our planned campsite, so it was a win/win!

I bought larger, better tires before the next trip!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2021 at 09:19 AM

That only leaves a payload of 1201 lbs, so the GVWR is likely in the 12K area, necessitating a class A license. If nothing goes wrong, no one will ever know, but that could become an issue if something happens.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2021 at 09:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by WestyWanderer  
check your U2U bud

Thanks man, much appreciated.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2021 at 11:58 AM

Guessing the truck will be at max GVWR. Trans temp gauge is ideal. Keep RPMs down. Go slow on Camarillo grade. If your truck doesn’t have Aux braking, you’ll be illegal.

See trouble ahead before it happens.

Have fun. Kids will love it.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-14-2021 at 12:18 PM

Why you keep stalking me on this board I have no idea.

At least this time you didn't search the internet for every college football forum, boating forum, and Chevy truck forum I post on.

Just to clarify a few of your misconceptions, I would like to inform you that other Nomads brought your rude presence on those forums to my attention last year. Some even forwarded their passwords to get into those other forums online so I could see your posts and responses (similar to comments here). I spent about a half hour on one forum and saw that your posting style is ubiquitous. I have NOT been following any of these links, but some Nomads will periodically forward info about your posts on those forums just to share your wealth of knowledge and self-designated correctness on all matters.

So, I haven't been stalking you....just responding to your narcissistic posts here.....as I told you I would.

Recently other Nomads have responded frequently to your posts, but you haven't accused any of them stalking you. What's with that?

If you want to continue to post your attitudes on the internet, get used to the idea you will get feedback.

Take a few deep breaths and consider what makes you such a chite magnet....

Don't believe everything you think....
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2021 at 02:23 PM

My kid goes there often. she has a 40 ft toy hauler 5th wheel with the big razor in the back , pulled by a 3500 4 WD (no Duely).
They air down to 15 PSI. don't worry about tides. I suspect the 5th wheel set up is significantly easier to pull across the sand
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2021 at 04:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
jiz, just stand on the throttle as soon as you get to the soft sand. horse power will be all that is required. have a good time.

Can he actually "stand on the throttle" while strapped in a booster seat?

John
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.