Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: seven sisters
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 6-18-2021 at 10:25 AM
seven sisters

which of the coastal points are part of the 7 Sisters?
Someone just posted a report somewhere - but his list has 8:
Punta Canoas, Punta Blanco, Punta Cono, Punta Maria, Punta Lobos, Punta Piedra, Punta Rocosa, Punta Rosarito

Please clarify for me

Harald Pietschmann
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2021 at 10:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Punta Canoas, Punta Blanco, Punta Cono, Punta Maria, Punta Lobos, Punta Piedra, Punta Rocosa, Punta Rosarito

Please clarify for me

Cono
Lobos
Maria
Rosarito
Santa Rosalillita
Rocosa
Piedra

[Edited on 6-18-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-18-2021 at 11:45 AM

Interesting!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 6-18-2021 at 12:17 PM

good 4x4 travelguide over at FB..https://www.facebook.com/SevenSisters.BajaMexico/
I think Ron over at TB put it together, anti-facebookers just move along
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2021 at 01:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
good 4x4 travelguide over at FB..https://www.facebook.com/SevenSisters.BajaMexico/

that is the post I am referring to - with 8 (wrong) sisters. Not a good report anyway

Harald Pietschmann
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-18-2021 at 01:58 PM

that is the post I am referring to - with 8 (wrong) sisters. Not a good report anyway

I don’t think there is an “official” list — who would be the officiator? DK? OC surfers? :lol::no:
It’s general term for the more or less 7 right point breaks…. And I think of it as a region, not a set of points.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2021 at 02:02 PM

Actually there are 9 surf points along the 7 sisters.
Punta Canoas
Punta Blanca
Punta Cono
Punta Maria
El Cardon
Punta Ositos/Punta Lobos
Punta Negra/Punta Prieta
Punta San Andres
Punta Santa Rosarito (the Wall)

[Edited on 6-19-2021 by TMW]
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2021 at 02:09 PM

no Punta El Cardon in my database

Harald Pietschmann
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 6-18-2021 at 02:17 PM

Please clarify for me

Canoas and Blanco aren't considered one of the sisters, seven sisters start at Cono

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2021 at 02:37 PM

That may be what some call Punta Diablo?

My maps of the region:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 6-18-2021 at 04:06 PM

If you had actually read the article, it clearly states that neither Canoas or Blanco are actually considered point breaks designated as any of the Seven Sisters, but were just stops along the way when the couple who shared their trip report were heading down towards the Seven Sisters.

Sorry you didn't like the report. You can join the long list of entitled surfers all sending me hate mail today for posting the article, as if the Seven Sisters area is somehow different from other remote areas of the peninsula and must not even be discussed.

"I FOUND IT AND NOBODY ELSE MUST KNOW ABOUT IT!!!"

If they ever find out via a simple Google search that some surfers have already posted all the GPS coordinates to the Sisters and the smaller break points in between, they'll probably have a seizure...

:lol::lol::lol:

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2021 at 04:34 PM

WOW, a half dozen contributions to this threat and it is STILL on topic!!

Subject to change, of course.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2021 at 04:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  

If you had actually read the article, it clearly states that neither Canoas or Blanco are actually considered point breaks designated as any of the Seven Sisters, but were just stops along the way when the couple who shared their trip report were heading down towards the Seven Sisters.

Sorry you didn't like the report. You can join the long list of entitled surfers all sending me hate mail today for posting the article, as if the Seven Sisters area is somehow different from other remote areas of the peninsula and must not even be discussed.

"I FOUND IT AND NOBODY ELSE MUST KNOW ABOUT IT!!!"

If they ever find out via a simple Google search that some surfers have already posted all the GPS coordinates to the Sisters and the smaller break points in between, they'll probably have a seizure...

:lol::lol::lol:

yeah, my bad - reading too fast
no hate here
once more than one person knows about a secret, it is no longer a secret

blame goes to the Jesuits - they made the world aware of the peninsula

Harald Pietschmann
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2021 at 05:46 PM

If I had looked at the Almanac I should have labeled it Punta el Diablo/El Cardon.

Those listed by me were from the "Surfer's Guide to Baja by Mike Parise". Third Edition 2007.

I'm not a surfer but I consider the start of the 7 sisters route to be at Hwy 1 KM132 out to Punta Canoas/Puerto Canoas and down the coast to Santa Rosalillita. I usually don't go past Santa Rosalillita but the last of the 7 sisters is the Wall further to the south.

It's kind of like the Baja 1000. Is it 1000 miles or 1000 kilometres. Take your pick. If it is a loop it's 1000 kilometres. If it runs to La Paz or Cabo it's 1000 miles.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2021 at 06:05 PM

Hi Ron, I agree with you about the silly notion that writing about a place somehow ruins it. We all know that it is good roads that bring in "all kinds" of people. Bad roads are the best filter! The coast road has been documented in guidebooks for sixty years... That's before the current surf gangs 'discovered' the area! Baja has room for everyone!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-18-2021 at 08:49 PM

Doubtful anyone accurately counted the points to come up with number 7. 6 sisters and 8 sisters sound stupid. 7 sisters is probably the name some surfer dudes remembered from Greek mythology or Boy Scout star-finding they were minimally exposed to in HS in Lake forest….

The actual pleiades have 6 visible stars, but if you look w/ binos u will see more than 7,… so 7 sisters is a good name for set of points that you cannot agree upon quantity….

[Edited on 6-19-2021 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2021 at 08:58 PM

That sister had one of those transgender surgeries we keep reading about.
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2021 at 09:18 PM

If you’ve ever surfed a day at any Southern California surf break then you’ve heard of the 7 sisters. It’s more talked about than San Miguel, it’s the time getting there that keeps it what it is.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2021 at 09:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Hi Ron, I agree with you about the silly notion that writing about a place somehow ruins it.

I think we can agree that publicity increases use.

Whether you consider that a positive thing is a personal call.
I happen to dislike crowds, and would never discuss my favorite Baja places here. :light:

Naturally, it increases awareness... but unless you want to drive the distance, have a 4WD vehicle, and are not afraid, you won't go to much of it. The Mexican government built an excellent dirt highway from Santa Rosalillita north to Punta Cono. There, is where you need to point fingers as to what should be blamed for more traffic. The coast north of Cono to Canoas is 4WD territory with Faro San José the only place accessed by a 2WD road (from near Cataviña) along that stretch.
I drove the coast road in 2007 and again in 2017, no change.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2021 at 10:04 AM

from a nomad 15 year ago.......

Back when Leo Hetzel was starting his "around the world" trip (which ended with him breaking his leg in Hawaii), he went down to baja becuase he heard about these points that would fire on a large WNW. After much trial and tribulation (this was before Mex 1), he finally got to where he thought these mystics points were, but it also coincided with an unusually long flat spell. Being a patient man, he holed up in a little rancho around where El Cardon is now, and he waited, and waited, and waited. While waiting, he noticed that the rancheros from the surrounding area would come by once a week and have a little rodeo. This rodeo would last all day, and after sundown, a party would rage untill dawn. After a few weeks or so, he figured out the rodeo's main attraction. Since the rancheros all had to work during the week, he was able to avail himself of the charms of Rosa, Lupita, Carmella, Xoctil, Angelica, Karina and Catalina. After a few weeks of this, he made the realization that they were all sisters!!! Well, Papa eventually got wind of what Leo was doing and told Leo to leave or else...

Well, Leo never did get to surf the place, it never broke, but not wanting to disappoint Severson over at Surfer Magazine, he wrote this big article about how great the place was, and of course he named it the seven sisters!!!!!!
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.