Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: seven sisters
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2021 at 10:05 AM

Website link for the article - https://www.sanquintinbc.mx/4x4-travel-log-through-the-seven...

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2021 at 10:46 AM

I kinda knew a Leo Hetzel....friend of older brothers in Long Beach. Surfers & explorers back in mid sixties. Baja bound and us young Kooks tagged along a few times to Cuatros Casas area. I believe Leo did articles for Long Beach Press Telegram and Surfer Mag. Thanks for the memory.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 6-19-2021 at 11:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
from a nomad 15 year ago.......

Back when Leo Hetzel was starting his "around the world" trip (which ended with him breaking his leg in Hawaii), he went down to baja becuase he heard about these points that would fire on a large WNW. After much trial and tribulation (this was before Mex 1), he finally got to where he thought these mystics points were, but it also coincided with an unusually long flat spell. Being a patient man, he holed up in a little rancho around where El Cardon is now, and he waited, and waited, and waited. While waiting, he noticed that the rancheros from the surrounding area would come by once a week and have a little rodeo. This rodeo would last all day, and after sundown, a party would rage untill dawn. After a few weeks or so, he figured out the rodeo's main attraction. Since the rancheros all had to work during the week, he was able to avail himself of the charms of Rosa, Lupita, Carmella, Xoctil, Angelica, Karina and Catalina. After a few weeks of this, he made the realization that they were all sisters!!! Well, Papa eventually got wind of what Leo was doing and told Leo to leave or else...

Well, Leo never did get to surf the place, it never broke, but not wanting to disappoint Severson over at Surfer Magazine, he wrote this big article about how great the place was, and of course he named it the seven sisters!!!!!!

beautiful Baja story - very Baja style!
Baja people despise facts.
They love fairy tales.

Harald Pietschmann
David Nuevo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2021 at 08:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Hi Ron, I agree with you about the silly notion that writing about a place somehow ruins it.

I think we can agree that publicity increases use.

Whether you consider that a positive thing is a personal call.
I happen to dislike crowds, and would never discuss my favorite Baja places here. :light:

Naturally, it increases awareness... but unless you want to drive the distance, have a 4WD vehicle, and are not afraid, you won't go to much of it. The Mexican government built an excellent dirt highway from Santa Rosalillita north to Punta Cono. There, is where you need to point fingers as to what should be blamed for more traffic. The coast north of Cono to Canoas is 4WD territory with Faro San José the only place accessed by a 2WD road (from near Cataviña) along that stretch.
I drove the coast road in 2007 and again in 2017, no change.
You are seriously underestimating the number and adventurous spirit of 4x4-equipped California surfers.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-19-2021 at 08:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David Nuevo  
Hi Ron, I agree with you about the silly notion that writing about a place somehow ruins it.

I happen to dislike crowds, and would never discuss my favorite Baja places here. :light:

Naturally, it increases awareness... but unless you want to drive the distance, have a 4WD vehicle, and are not afraid, you won't go to much of it. The Mexican government built an excellent dirt highway from Santa Rosalillita north to Punta Cono. There, is where you need to point fingers as to what should be blamed for more traffic. The coast north of Cono to Canoas is 4WD territory with Faro San José the only place accessed by a 2WD road (from near Cataviña) along that stretch.
You are seriously underestimating the number and adventurous spirit of 4x4-equipped California surfers.

The only thing that will deter the OC groms and middle aged surfers from ruining remote baja is more crime and murder to scare them away…

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2021 at 08:46 PM

Progress and development is coming to all areas of Earth unless they're protected - support Wildcoast!
DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 6-20-2021 at 06:54 AM

We just need a good pandemic!

I like beer, better than most people.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2021 at 12:18 PM

I've been traveling the 7 sisters route since 1989 and it wasn't until Nov. 2018 did I see a surfer.
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2021 at 01:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I've been traveling the 7 sisters route since 1989 and it wasn't until Nov. 2018 did I see a surfer.

I’ve been surfing there since 2012 and I was late to the game! Regardless, if the people are adventurous enough to get there then let them enjoy it! If you don’t like it then find another place along the 800+ miles of Baja coastline!
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 6-20-2021 at 04:30 PM

I head down to the area from time to time with a close friend who owns a little over 5,000 acres in the Seven Sisters region including over 2 km of coastline. We do see off-roaders / dirt bikes from time to time with a much higher number of surfers in the winter months.

The land owner has no development plans for the near future but has been considering fencing off the property with locked gates, leaving behind an armed caretaker to deal with the increasing number of thefts from the property in addition to more and more trash being dumped alongside his roads.

His son and son-law camped there for two weeks this winter and caught one group of surfers trying to cart off the galvanized roofing from an equipment shed on the property they had just tore off and which they admitted to taking to use as a means of creating a refuge against the cold winds down on the beach blowing at the time.

On a different day they caught a different group of surfers dumping all their trash as they left the area, believing they were doing good by not just leaving it behind on the beach.

He tells me he really hasn't had much trouble at all with the off-road groups coming through over the years; except for maybe one or two and it was still relatively minor stuff.

The growing problematic demographic seems to be young surfers and they may be the ones to blame if you lose access.

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
Progress and development is coming to all areas of Earth unless they're protected - support Wildcoast!

I like Wildcoast too but most of their work down here seems to focus on the offshore islands farther north including one project we gave them access to via our concession out on San Martin Island.

I have seen no evidence of any serious investment from Wildcoast anywhere along the coastline from Punta Baja south to Guerrero Negro.

Naturally, it increases awareness... but unless you want to drive the distance, have a 4WD vehicle, and are not afraid, you won't go to much of it...

While 4X4 equipped surfers may indeed have adventurous spirits, the real problem along Seven Sisters seems to be more focused among the younger (under age 30) crowd that leaves the roads/trails and drive all over the local habitat while making no effort to relieve themselves removed from other campers and don't even make much of an effort to cover up their crap piles, leaving all their garbage behind when they go.

At least that is the way it has been portrayed to me via multiple offline discussions with dozens of seasoned SSS veterans (Seven Sisters Surfer).

That younger crowd simply does not fit into Talk Baja's demographics and likely not Baja Nomad's either. That age group lives on their phones when not on the water and they have that region with all the GPS break points along with roads leading in and out mapped to the nth degree - it would even make DavidK jealous when seeing their level of sophistication.

I know because one of the young surfers who spoke a little Spanish showed the land owners son his phone and they had every single road around and through his ranch completely mapped when Google Maps probably only shows less than 20% of them.

He told him he downloaded the map off a Surfing forum and broke the image up into smaller graphics, labeling the key GPS points to be able to use them like paper maps when outside of the cell data service area.

It's obvious that somebody is investing a lot of time on Google Earth to map out all the ways in and out down in that region of Baja.

And sharing them.

If the more seasoned, veteran surfers today really want to help improve the conditions there, focus your energy on exposing those who are truly ruining it by sharing photos / videos of the trash they leave and the eco-damage they are causing.

And then let Social Media do its job to widely circulate that to either educate them or at least shame them into more respectful behavior.

Those of us who share a story and a couple of photos on Nomad or Talk Baja about Seven Sisters with no GPS coordinates, maps or identifying landmarks are not your problem.

Focus your energy where it will truly make a difference and I will help you spread the word.

Peace...

[Edited on 6-20-2021 by BajaGringo]

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-20-2021 at 04:58 PM
Well said BajaGringo!

I have never been down that stretch, but if I ever pass that way, I am always ready to haul out more than I bring in!

[Edited on 6-20-2021 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David Nuevo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2021 at 05:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

The only thing that will deter the OC groms and middle aged surfers from ruining remote baja is more crime and murder to scare them away…
Not much crime 40 miles from Mex 1.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2021 at 06:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  
it would even make DavidK jealous when seeing their level of sophistication.

I know because one of the young surfers who spoke a little Spanish showed the land owners son his phone and they had every single road around and through his ranch completely mapped when Google Maps probably only shows less than 20% of them.

He told him he downloaded the map off a Surfing forum and broke the image up into smaller graphics, labeling the key GPS points to be able to use them like paper maps when outside of the cell data service area.

If that is what they are doing they aren't tech savvy at all.

You don't need cell service to run a real-time GPS app overlayed on satellite imagery.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 6-20-2021 at 06:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

You don't need cell service to run a real-time GPS app overlayed on satellite imagery.

Doesn't matter if they are doing it real time or in their parents basement, point is they are doing it and sharing all over and being dicks to boot.

New locked gates north and south in 3...2...1...

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2021 at 07:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

Doesn't matter if they are doing it real time or in their parents basement, point is they are doing it and sharing all over and being dicks to boot.

New locked gates north and south in 3...2...1...

can you say "Hollister"?
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 6-20-2021 at 07:47 PM

sounds all very human to me. Find a virgin and have fun with her.
Most developed societies have norms to limit the damage.
Most of Baja is completely empty - no norms.

Exposing the bad guys on social media?
They so don't give a fug

I have given up interfering.
Had a gun stuck to my face too many times.

Harald Pietschmann
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2021 at 08:44 PM

I head down to the area from time to time with a close friend who owns a little over 5,000 acres in the Seven Sisters region including over 2 km of coastline. We do see off-roaders / dirt bikes from time to time with a much higher number of surfers in the winter months.

The land owner has no development plans for the near future but has been considering fencing off the property with locked gates, leaving behind an armed caretaker to deal with the increasing number of thefts from the property in addition to more and more trash being dumped alongside his roads.

His son and son-law camped there for two weeks this winter and caught one group of surfers trying to cart off the galvanized roofing from an equipment shed on the property they had just tore off and which they admitted to taking to use as a means of creating a refuge against the cold winds down on the beach blowing at the time.

On a different day they caught a different group of surfers dumping all their trash as they left the area, believing they were doing good by not just leaving it behind on the beach.

He tells me he really hasn't had much trouble at all with the off-road groups coming through over the years; except for maybe one or two and it was still relatively minor stuff.

The growing problematic demographic seems to be young surfers and they may be the ones to blame if you lose access.

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  

I like Wildcoast too but most of their work down here seems to focus on the offshore islands farther north including one project we gave them access to via our concession out on San Martin Island.

I have seen no evidence of any serious investment from Wildcoast anywhere along the coastline from Punta Baja south to Guerrero Negro.

Naturally, it increases awareness... but unless you want to drive the distance, have a 4WD vehicle, and are not afraid, you won't go to much of it...

While 4X4 equipped surfers may indeed have adventurous spirits, the real problem along Seven Sisters seems to be more focused among the younger (under age 30) crowd that leaves the roads/trails and drive all over the local habitat while making no effort to relieve themselves removed from other campers and don't even make much of an effort to cover up their crap piles, leaving all their garbage behind when they go.

At least that is the way it has been portrayed to me via multiple offline discussions with dozens of seasoned SSS veterans (Seven Sisters Surfer).

That younger crowd simply does not fit into Talk Baja's demographics and likely not Baja Nomad's either. That age group lives on their phones when not on the water and they have that region with all the GPS break points along with roads leading in and out mapped to the nth degree - it would even make DavidK jealous when seeing their level of sophistication.

It's obvious that somebody is investing a lot of time on Google Earth to map out all the ways in and out down in that region of Baja.

And sharing them.

If the more seasoned, veteran surfers today really want to help improve the conditions there, focus your energy on exposing those who are truly ruining it by sharing photos / videos of the trash they leave and the eco-damage they are causing.

And then let Social Media do its job to widely circulate that to either educate them or at least shame them into more respectful behavior.

Those of us who share a story and a couple of photos on Nomad or Talk Baja about Seven Sisters with no GPS coordinates, maps or identifying landmarks are not your problem.

Focus your energy where it will truly make a difference and I will help you spread the word.

Peace...

[Edited on 6-20-2021 by BajaGringo]

I will speak from my experiences....I first started travelling in Baja with my father. He taught me how to read a map, to leave a gate open if found open, shut if found shut, and to stop for anyone that is also stopped along the way. Later I found fellow amigos online. We shared stories both good and bad about Baja destinations. I was happy to share my experiences and soon learned who was a trustworthy source of information.

Nowadays, it seems like travel stories pop up all over the internet. I have no clue about the author or how they travel. Knuckleheads from all over now decide to venture into unchartered territories with little to no experience. Of course they are going to make bone head decisions.

I don't think there is anything wrong with sharing information. But making things too easy, opens the door for anyone to walk in. It doesn't surprise me what you shared.

Just my two centavos....

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2021 at 09:04 AM

I was speaking to the maps they downloaded, not the surfers personal tech abilities.

Those maps not only had all the roads marked but also included comments regarding terrain, change in altitude, fish camps, soft silt, gates, etc.

Like I said, somebody is investing a lot of time and effort into this.

I think this particular set of knuckleheads are like many their age who believe their phones are useless once they lose data service and it was easier to just fall back on screengrab maps they printed off their computers back home.

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2021 at 09:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
sounds all very human to me.
They so don't give a fug

That 18-30 year old demographic does...

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2021 at 09:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
sounds all very human to me.
They so don't give a fug

That 18-30 year old demographic does...

WOW you sure stirred up a hornet's nest over there Ron!:lol:...you know how we roll here, danged whippersnappers!
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.