BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: THE LEGAL PROCESS OF A FIDEICOMISO FOR MY HOUSE IN BAHIA ASUNCIÓN It is a long thread but worth your reading.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

exclamation.gif posted on 6-18-2021 at 04:13 PM
THE LEGAL PROCESS OF A FIDEICOMISO FOR MY HOUSE IN BAHIA ASUNCIÓN It is a long thread but worth your reading.

This is a very lengthy post, so, please bear with me.

Many of you know that my beachfront house in Bahia Asunción has been for sale for quite a while. Several BAJANOMADS responded with inquiries regarding the price and Fideicomiso standing. No one provided me with a deposit for a down payment for holding the house for them, except for one couple.

The sale started in early November 2020 and finally concluded on May 14, 2021…8 months of legal wrangling.

If this would have been me at the buying end, I would have said to the owner…keep the deposit. I am not going through any more work through the Mexican legal process.

May I go on record…I will never, ever, buy another house that has a fideicomiso for a title. Many of you do not know, but the fideicomiso trust (it is not a title), is only for the period of 50 years. After that it must be renewed by your heirs or whomever you, the owner, designate. Who knows what the fees will be at that time and which bank will hold the fideicomiso. You have to pay a fideicomiso annual fee to the bank holding it. A clear title can only be held by a Mexican citizen. That is an indisputable fact found out during the process of ownership transfer.

The couple that offered to purchase the house has dual citizenship with the USA and Mexico. They were fully aware of the paperwork circumstances and were willing to go through the entire process. They had the major help from Karla Estrella Espinoza Barraza. She works out of Vizcaino. Her phone numbers are 615-155-9929 and 615-156-4753. She did all the legwork, car travel and plane travel required. She used to work with a previous President, the governor of Baja Sur, and has personal connections both legal as well as political. She is an extremely patient person. She is currently working with Notario #20 in Santa Rosalia, and is on track to become a Notaria herself.

My original attorney that handled the sales transaction from the Farley’s was Alonzo Lopez. A well-recommended attorney. He managed to get me to fly to his office in La Paz twice where I signed some paperwork and went to see a Notario near his office, where I also signed some paperwork and made copies of my personal ID’s. I paid him about $15,000 USD to handle the transaction transfer. I also paid him an additional $5,000 USD to handle the paperwork for my wife and I to form A Mexican corporation.

We were a happy camper for a while.

It wasn’t until five years later that I found out that Alonzo Lopez had been involved in some shady dealings, and I was hoping that one of those dealings was not my house in BA.

In the meantime, I had gone to the Hacienda office, both in TJ and Ensenada, to pay for my corporate taxes, but on three separate occasions they could not find my paperwork. I hoped they would get things straightened out in the future. They knew my residence.

Now to the major complications:

Carlos and Linda (the new owners to be) had been very diligent in keeping me apprised of the legal wrangling going on. Again, they were very aware of possible problems and were confident that Karla could handle all the legal wrangling.

To start with, in December of 2020 it was found out that the fideicomiso was not in my name at all! After 45 days of searching by BA property records, they found out that the house was never listed as a sale to me and it was still in the Farley’s name. Additionally, the house and one lot was the only property that was under the fideicomiso, the second lot was never taken out of the Farley’s Mexican corporation’s name. It was still under the corporation. Carlos and Linda had to buy the corporation from the Farley’s just to have ownership of both lots. Early in my buying process from the Farley’s, I had instructed Alonzo Lopez to combine (he called it “fusing”) the two lots into one. I paid him another $1,500 USD to handle that transaction. That was never recorded as well. As a matter of fact, the yearly taxes that I paid to the Catastro office in BA were never recorded with the Central Catastro office in Santa Rosalia, I was told that the property was not under our name (even though the Catastro office in BA knew of the sale transaction). and, as far as they (Santa Rosalia) were concerned taxes were never paid and the house had a lien on it for unpaid taxes. I had kept all my receipts from the payments, and weeks later it was confirmed that the taxes had been paid. There was an additional lien for water service that was not paid. Again. I kept the record of those. CFE also had a small lien on the house because of unpaid electric bills from renters. Those were also paid.

Months into the sale process, it was found out that the lots’ dimensions were also incorrect (per the Santa Rosalia Catastro office). So, the dimensions had to be corrected and verified by a Municipio engineer.

THE LEGAL PROCESS WITH THE BANKS:

Originally, the property was held under one bank’s fideicomiso. That bank sold it to a different bank, and in turn, Banorte (who now is the major holder of most fideicomisos) bought the last fideicomiso. But within the transfer processes, some of the legal paperwork did not transfer from one bank to the other. That needed to be straightened out.

Since my name was never recorded as proper owner of the properties, the house essentially had to be sold from the Farley’s to the new buyers. The bank had no record of my name on anything.
The new owners lived in Los Angeles. The Farley are in Tucson, AZ.
The Farley’s needed to sign a Power Of Attorney designating the Farley’s as the seller of the house, not Udo Winkler. So, onto Tucson Carlos and Linda drove. Once there they signed the paperwork and everything was Notarized.
Now Carlos and Linda needed to drive to Sacrament to the State department to have the paperwork apostilled!

They now head to Santa Rosalia in March to meet at the Notario’s office and the Banorte office. It turns out the Farley’s did not sign the paperwork the same as it was in their passports. Their passports mis-spelled their names. The signature was correct, but the name on the passports did not match. This ensued another trip to Tucson to correct the signature spelling error so at least the names and signatures matched. And all this had to be done before the 18th of May (which was the Farley’s passport expiration date). The passport had to be valid for the paperwork to be processed by the bank.

Additionally, Banorte required copies of my passport, my US driver’s license, my social security card, a copy of a CFE bill as offer of proof or residence, PLUS a copy of my Residente Permanente card. Mind you, my name was nowhere in the house legal work.

Now it is the first part of April 2021, and Karla is still collecting paperwork. The paperwork had been submitted in person to the Bank (several times to a branch in Tecate) and twice to the large office in La Paz. DHL was not a reliable delivery source because they lost or mishandled the deliveries). But it was rejected because of spelling errors, as well as papers submitted in incorrect order. Each time some paperwork was submitted, a fee had to be paid.

Now the day finally arrives that I, and the new owners, were to meet at the Santa Rosalia Notario office (I needed to bring a current CFE bill to prove that I was still a current resident of Mexico). The Notario handed me a 27-page legal document created by Banorte Legal Department. All in Spanish. I had to read the whole thing and found several errors (including an incorrect date of birth), misspellings, incorrect sequences, etc. The Notario made note of those errors and approved the documents including the errors by the bank (it is OK for the bank to make errors, I guess).

Three days later, the La Paz branch finally approved all the paperwork and all was accepted on May 14, 2021.

The sale finally went through!

[Edited on 6-18-2021 by Udo]

[Edited on 6-19-2021 by BajaNomad]

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2021 at 04:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  

To start with, in December of 2020 it was found out that the fideicomiso was not in my name at all! After 45 days of searching by BA property records, they found out that the house was never listed as a sale to me and it was still in the Farley’s name. Additionally, the house and one lot was the only property that was under the fideicomiso, the second lot was never taken out of the Farley’s Mexican corporation’s name. It was still under the corporation.

Yikes! I have a question for you. Does the above describe the incompetence of the Notario in Santa Rosalia? Isn't it the Notario's job to make sure all the paperwork is in order?

[Edited on 6-19-2021 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-18-2021 at 06:33 PM

Udo, I am glad for you that the process is completed, and it actually makes me feel a little better. I was there in November, and could have cashed you out for the property, but was warned by others that it was not a safe thing to do.

With none of the talent and connections that your buyers had, it doesn't sound like I could have pulled it off. Sounds like having the wrong lawyer can be worse than having none.

I still have whined frequently to my family and friends (as recently as this week) that I passed up a once in a lifetime deal!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 6-18-2021 at 07:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
May I go on record…I will never, ever, buy another house that has a fideicomiso for a title.

How would you do it? Corporation? You haven't naturalized, correct?

You do not have to be naturalized to form a corporation.

When we 2 Americans formed a Mexican corporation approximately 10 years ago all we had were our FM3s or FM2s, I don't remember which.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2021 at 07:20 PM

As far as I can tell, none of this has anything to do with having a fideicomiso, but that the paperwork wasn't done correctly in the first place.
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2021 at 07:07 AM

Yes, it is the Notario's responsibility. But in my particular case, the bank was calling all the shots. It appeared that the bank did not want to relinquish the fideicomiso and was throwing roadblocks along the way.

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

To start with, in December of 2020 it was found out that the fideicomiso was not in my name at all! After 45 days of searching by BA property records, they found out that the house was never listed as a sale to me and it was still in the Farley’s name. Additionally, the house and one lot was the only property that was under the fideicomiso, the second lot was never taken out of the Farley’s Mexican corporation’s name. It was still under the corporation.

Yikes! I have a question for you. Does the above describe the incompetence of the Notario in Santa Rosalia? Isn't it the Notario's job to make sure all the paperwork is in order?

[Edited on 6-19-2021 by SFandH]

Udo

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2021 at 07:13 AM

This fideicomiso transfer was such a huge PITB! I don't think that fideicomisos will get any easier.
I am much happier buying a completed house on leased land. The only caution on the leased land buying process is to make sure, by speaking with members of the community and other renters about their knowledge of the lease owner. With diligent caution, one can have a safe investment that can easily be transferred to your heirs.

May I go on record…I will never, ever, buy another house that has a fideicomiso for a title.

Udo

boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 6-19-2021 at 09:12 AM

Wow Udo, just wow. Glad you two finally got through all of this BS. I’m going to U2U you as I also used Alonzo for establishing our fideicomiso.

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2021 at 09:27 AM

This fideicomiso transfer was such a huge PITB! I don't think that fideicomisos will get any easier.
I am much happier buying a completed house on leased land. The only caution on the leased land buying process is to make sure, by speaking with members of the community and other renters about their knowledge of the lease owner. With diligent caution, one can have a safe investment that can easily be transferred to your heirs.

Don't buy anything on leased land. That is a recipe for disaster. Fideicomiso is the way to go. Just need more trust worthy/competent ppl working for you.

[Edited on 6-19-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-19-2021 at 09:28 AM

Udo, do you think that Banorte was the source of the problem, or it was one of the previous holders of the fidelcomiso, and Banorte was hoping to exploit the mistake?

Also, who selects the bank, the buyer, seller, or notario?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 6-19-2021 at 10:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Udo, do you think that Banorte was the source of the problem, or it was one of the previous holders of the fidelcomiso, and Banorte was hoping to exploit the mistake?

My fideicomiso was set up probably exactly as was Udo’s through Alonzo and the Notario in La Paz. It was paid yearly to Banco Interacciones, which was purchased and incorporated into Banorte.

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2021 at 11:55 AM

To answer your question Gringo. The initial paperwork transfer from one bank to the other was worth about 6 weeks of work. It wasn't that big of a deal because they were bank errors.
The biggest PITA was Banorte who had put up so many roadblocks! It was as though they did not want to give up the fideicomiso to the new owners. Their legal department kept asking for some corrections, then when they were corrected, other items showed up. It was so nitpicky as well as petty!

I really don't know which other bank is available to process fideicomisos. All I know is that I would never-ever use Banorte again for anything.

As far as who selects the bank is concerned, the Notario does that. But there are really no choices available anymore. Everyone has gotten out the that game.

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Udo

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
6-19-2021 at 11:57 AM
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2021 at 12:20 PM

Currently, naturalization (becoming a Mexican citizen) is a much easier process than the fideicomiso process. Once you have been here a couple of years it is a matter of filling out the paperwork, and answering a few questions. I would be doing it right now, but I am at the upper end of my formidable years, and I don't see it as a necessity.
I simply tell the guards at the military checkpoints that I am a "National", they just wave me through.

Udo

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2021 at 06:23 AM

To your knowledge, Diana, the lot properly transferred. Therefore it is the new owner's problem. But based on the part where you are still getting a fideicomiso bill from the bank, it appears the new owners may not, in fact, own the property. As was the case in ours where the previous owners still received the fideicomiso invoices.

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  
Wow --- what a story. As you know, we sold our home next to your home about 8 years ago. Our Fideicomiso was with a bank in La Paz and set up by Alonso. But I think that bank was bought out. We totally trusted Alonso then and for a long time. Our front lot was never included and we owned it in the name of a local, but it was put in a new Fideicomiso when we sold. But I know there were problems with the legal description, but it seems it was worked out.

Then again, we trusted Alonso to pay off our Fideicomiso and all our other costs. But now we wonder as we have heard from others that Alonso had some real problems. We hope that is not the case

We recently received a bill from Banorte who we think bought out the other bank. They wanted us to pay the annual fee for the last few years. They threatened to hurt our credit in the US if we don't pay by November. We wrote back that we sold the property several years ago. We have heard nothing more so far. But there is no way we will pay anything.

We are glad your nightmare finally was settled.

Udo

Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 6-21-2021 at 09:54 AM

Udo,
How did you not know the fido was not in your name?? Did you not get a copy? I have 2 and my name is on each one....just seems strange that you did not review/get a copy and notice before....

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2021 at 12:39 PM

This story is why you go in person to the publico notario to see your recorded fidecomiso. You then take a picture of the book cover and all the pages. Our 1987 family photos of the "book" in the Ensenada office led to it being shown again to us in 2018.
First thing shown to a realtor or Abagado is the business card of the Notario officer. If you don't meet this person on a F2F basis, your in over your head.
A good notario is better than any Abagado; rule #2 of Baja realty

Es Todo Bueno
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2021 at 01:16 PM

I found out that the fido was not in my name and the new buyer (though the help of Karla) found out that the fido was still in the previous owner's names. I had in my possession three very thick (about 40 legal-sized pages long) in a Notario binder that I thought were my fido documents. At the time I trusted Alonzo Lopez because of the recommendations I received from others. Therefore I thought all my papers were in order.

Quote: Originally posted by Terry28  
Udo,
How did you not know the fido was not in your name?? Did you not get a copy? I have 2 and my name is on each one....just seems strange that you did not review/get a copy and notice before....

Udo

JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2021 at 01:36 PM

Look into the other Fido thread and what I pointed out. Maybe you might find out what a Fido is good for.
Timinator
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2021 at 02:12 PM

Bad Notaria to begin with it your name wasn't properly recorded and you given legal paperwork.
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 6-21-2021 at 09:13 PM

I know a lot of people, there are 290 homes in Las Gavitos, all with fidos, and we didn't get screwed like you did...You had bad legal representation all the way...that doesn't make fidos bad, just the people who failed to do their job..... I have also had property on leased land....and got screwed. I walked away from a house I paid cash for.....

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.