Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Field rescue service
brumsky
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2021 at 04:56 PM
Field rescue service

My dirt bike group does a lot of single track in baja. Some trails are in very remote areas not able to be accessed by trucks.

I am trying to find out if anyone knows a service that has coordinated a field rescue in Baja. Specifically, a helicopter extraction.

I talked to Global Rescue, a company that people can pay for a service ($350 a year) that organizes and covers the cost of field recuses. They told me the only helicopters available for field rescues down there would be military helicopters, there are no medical helicopters down there like in the US. They said they would have to coordinate the field rescue with the military, but that they had never actually worked with the Mexican military before.

Their response left me a little unconfident.

So I thought I would make a post and see if anyone is aware of a helicopter field rescue that has happened in baja. If so, was there a service used to help coordinate it? Or is helicopter rescue just not something available down there?

I am familiar with this happening during the Score races, but those are coordinated by the race companies. I am trying to find out if any individuals have any experience with this.

Thanks

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2021 at 05:14 PM

Talk to Binational Emergency Service. Celia Diaz is the Executive Director. 619-425-5080. They facilitate getting people out of Baja on an emergency basis. They may have answers to your questions.

Also you could call DAN at 1-800-446-2671. They also provide emergency evacuations.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2021 at 05:19 PM

I can only address your question as to the state of Baja California, not BCS.
The situation has improved greatly in recent years. I try to keep current due to my involvement with wilderness activities in BC, including technical climbing.
The protocol now includes dialing "911". An English speaking dispatcher is supposed to be available. The dispatcher can/will then notify the appropriate agencies. Protección Civil is the main agency coordinating serious SAR (Search and Rescue) operations. There are Rescue teams "Rescate" from various locations, including Tijuana, Ensenada, and Mexicali municipalities. Helicopter rescues have been arranged when needed with the military "Marineros". Of course the helicopter must be in flight ready and the weather/daylight must cooperate. Difficult air evacuations have been done at Canyon El Tajo and Picacho del Diablo in the past 5 or 6 years over problematic terrain (steep canyons with granite cliffs).
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 6-22-2021 at 05:23 PM

I agree, call Celia. I would think she would have the current answers.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2021 at 05:24 PM

Good info Maderita, thanks.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2021 at 05:30 PM

I carry these lists with me in each vehicle. Remember that your group has to have a mobile phone which works in BC. I have a Garmin inReach which has satellite SOS and text capability. I don't know what Garmin's protocol is if they receive an SOS from Mexico. ? I rely on being able to contact capable friends.

calabash seafood carolina beach
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2021 at 05:42 PM

If you are involved in a rescue and need to coordinate with air or ground crews, you can use the ubiquitous FRS (Family Radio Service frequency) radios (such as, Motorola "Talkabouts"). Use Channel 7, subchannel 7
Your range is likely only a mile or two, line-of-sight. Much less if obstructed by hills or cliffs.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 6-22-2021 at 05:47 PM

a few months ago there was a helicopter evacuation (military) of an American biker.
crashed somewhere around Las Pocitas
used InReach

Harald Pietschmann
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2021 at 06:01 PM

2016 air evacuation at Cañón el Tajo, Sierra de Juarez. Compound fracture. Terrain precluded possibility of ground evacuation by litter. Wind and darkness prevented evacuation until the next day. The patient survived, but the leg was amputated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRejClR-rKU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRejClR-rKU

2017 Sierra San Pedro Mártir, air rescue off the flank of Picacho del Diablo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD3gNZr9dK8
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2021 at 06:55 PM

Compound fracture. I don't know the details of the treatment subsequent to the helicopter flight. But sharp bones which protrude through the skin have a tendency to tear veins and arteries, disrupting blood supply. The risk for infection is serious. That the patient had to bivouac overnight was a major factor in the outcome.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2021 at 07:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Good info Maderita, thanks.

TMW, You're welcome. Hope you never need to use that info!
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2021 at 07:08 PM

Good topic, I ride many of the same trails and have wondered just how things would go. We always try to ride with a little more caution in Baja but anything can happen. About ten years ago I severed my ACL down in the seven sisters area but was able to ride back to the border with my friends kicking my 650R every time we stopped. It took a few days but I was lucky to be able to get myself out.
I know several years ago Antonio from Baja cactus helped rescue an injured (broken leg) after the ridder used an Inreach kind of device.
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2021 at 06:49 AM

Heli Baja is a local helicopter I see flying around the region.

Es Todo Bueno
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-23-2021 at 07:19 AM

The Garmin inReach device is a wonderful satellite communication tool, plus you can exchange text messages so the nature of your emergency can be determined. inReach uses the Iridium satellite network which has superior coverage of Baja over the Globalstar satellite network (used by Spot).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
6-23-2021 at 07:35 AM
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 6-23-2021 at 08:45 AM

David,

We carry one of the Zoleo units which uses the Iridium network when cell or WiFi service is unavailable. Basic Service is $20/Mo. Cell and WiFi messaging are free. It uses the same SOS service as Garmin. There’s a phone App and it runs for 3 days w/o charging.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-23-2021 at 09:12 AM
Not all helicopters are "rescue helicopters"

In fact, very few, other than government agencies are able to lower first responders, or hoist patients from steep or heavily vegetated terrain.

While speed is essential in improving the outcome of any trauma, transporting the patient to a landing spot could be the most hazardous part of the recovery.

A femur fracture (even if it is a closed fracture) can put jagged bone right next to one of the largest blood vessels in your body! Waiting for an airlift vs. moving to an accessible spot for EMS is a tough call given all the variables involved!

I have only worked one rescue involving a femur fracture during a ski competition, and we were already staged for a rescue, so the outcome was good/ We had to haul the patient down the slope to a landing zone.

I posted this once before, but if you are curious, here is a link to a non-baja event; https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=garrett+bartelt&&am...

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2021 at 09:20 AM

bottom line - no mater what service you use to raise help, in the end it will be the Mexican military who responds to your SOS

they love to do this kind of stuff if the call makes it down the chain of command

Harald Pietschmann
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2021 at 09:41 AM

well I wonder if the american military would still get involved in an emergency, remember this looong heated thread a decade ago?

U.S. citizen airlifted from B. Gonzaga to Yuma by U.S. Coast Guard

January 23, 2010

(A) Coast Guard crew picked up an ill U.S. citizen in Mexico�s Baja California, said Petty Officer 2nd Class Jetta Disco...

...a member of the Binational Emergency Medical Care Committee notified the Coast Guard that a 67-year-old U.S. citizen was suffering from an undisclosed, potentially life-threatening illness, according to Disco.

He was inland from Bahia de Gonzaga, a bay about 230 miles south of Mexicali in Baja California, Disco said. The man was taken to Yuma Regional Medical Center in Arizona, Disco said.

[Edited on 6-23-2021 by willardguy]
brumsky
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2021 at 10:33 AM

Thanks a ton!

This is very useful information.

Much appreciated
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2021 at 11:18 AM

US operation in Mexico?
Once every 100 years.

Harald Pietschmann
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.